xterm fails after update cygwin

tmacchant
I have updated cygwin on 4 April.
The last updated date is about middle of February.

After the update I cannot use X.

Startup batch file,
*********************************
@echo off
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
C:
chdir C:\cygwin64\bin

start C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -
**************************************
and Cygwin X start from clicking windows shortcut with command
C:\cygwin64\bin\XWin.exe -multiwindow

I have been able to X without problem before cygwin update.

From mintty window
$ xterm &
[1] 4740

$ xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0

What am I wrong for X?

Tatsuro

Re: xterm fails after update cygwin

tmacchant
I have updated cygwin on 4 April.
The last updated date is about middle of February.

After the update I cannot use X.

Startup batch file,
*********************************
@echo off
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
C:
chdir C:\cygwin64\bin

start C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -
**************************************
and Cygwin X start from clicking windows shortcut with command
C:\cygwin64\bin\XWin.exe -multiwindow

I have been able to X without problem before cygwin update.

From mintty window
$ xterm &
[1] 4740

$ xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0

What am I wrong for X?

Is the above related to the below?

Xorg server always starting up on DISPLAY 3.0
http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Xorg-server-always-starting-up-on-DISPLAY-3-0-td117063.html

Tatsuro

Re: xterm fails after update cygwin

Jon TURNEY
On 08/04/2015 00:01, tmacchant wrote:

> I have been able to X without problem before cygwin update.
>
>  From mintty window
> $ xterm &
> [1] 4740
>
> $ xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0
>
> What am I wrong for X?
>
> Is the above related to the below?
>
> Xorg server always starting up on DISPLAY 3.0
> http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Xorg-server-always-starting-up-on-DISPLAY-3-0-td117063.html

[1] seem more likely to be relevant

i.e. you should write DISPLAY=:0.0 rather than DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-03/msg00240.html

Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

Re: xterm fails after update cygwin

tmacchant
> [1] seem more likely to be relevant
>
> i.e. you should write DISPLAY=:0.0 rather than DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
>
> [1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-03/msg00240.html

DISPLAY=:0.0 makes me to see xterm!

Thanks! Tatsuro

Re: xterm fails after update cygwin

tmacchant
> DISPLAY=:0.0 makes me to see xterm!

Note that so far I can share Cygwin/X for both 32 bit and 64 bit.
But now it should be started separatedly

(I am using both 32 bit and 64 bit version because I'm providing cvs snapshot of gnuplot on both 32 and 64 bit.)

Tatsuro

On 09/04/2015 01:40, tmacchant wrote:
>> DISPLAY=:0.0 makes me to see xterm!
>
> Note that so far I can share Cygwin/X for both 32 bit and 64 bit.
> But now it should be started separately
>
> (I am using both 32 bit and 64 bit version because I'm providing cvs
> snapshot of gnuplot on both 32 and 64 bit.)

Because 32-bit and 64-bit cygwin are completely independent, it's not
possible for a a 32-bit cygwin X client to connect via a unix-domain
socket to a 64-bit cygwin X server (and vice versa)

So if you want that to work, you will have to use and allow TCP, as
described in [1]

[1]
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-local-noncygwin-clients-cant-connect

Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

Re: xterm fails after update cygwin

tmacchant
> Because 32-bit and 64-bit cygwin are completely independent, it's not
possible for a a 32-bit cygwin X client to connect via a unix-domain
socket to a 64-bit cygwin X server (and vice versa)

Thank you for your conprephensive explanation.

Now I made a windows (Dos) batch file to start both 32 and 64 bit X.

Tatsuro