why can't I post to .applications?

Carl Karsten
when trying to reply to a post: "Re: [ITP] Installation Profiles packages", I get
"News(NNTP)error occurred:gmane.os.cygwin.applications is unidirectional." and yet
I have posted "Re: where is setup.exe source?" to gmane.os.cygwin, gotten the
confirmation email, replied, and it got posted.

^Carl K

Re: why can't I post to .applications?

Brian Dessent
Carl Karsten wrote:

> when trying to reply to a post: "Re: [ITP] Installation Profiles packages", I get
> "News(NNTP)error occurred:gmane.os.cygwin.applications is unidirectional." and yet
> I have posted "Re: where is setup.exe source?" to gmane.os.cygwin, gotten the
> confirmation email, replied, and it got posted.

Gmane is set up to not allow posting to cygwin-apps, at the request of
the list owner, whereas the main list does apparently allow posting.  I
think this corresponds to the fact that you must be suscribed to post to
-apps but not the main list.  (Is that still true?  I don't know.)

But why are you asking here at not at Gmane?  These are *email lists*,
not newsgroups, not web forums, and to post you send email to
<address>@cygwin.com.  The fact that am unrelated third party happens to
run a email -> newsgroup gateway for these and a bazillion other lists
doesn't mean we have anything to do with its administration.

Brian

Re: why can't I post to .applications?

One Angry User
On a windy Wednesday, the 9th day of November, 2005, Carl Karsten's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> when trying to reply to a post: "Re: [ITP] Installation Profiles
> packages", I get "News(NNTP)error occurred:gmane.os.cygwin.applications
> is unidirectional." and yet I have posted "Re: where is setup.exe
> source?" to gmane.os.cygwin, gotten the confirmation email, replied, and
> it got posted.

It's the hippos, I'm tellin' ya!

OAU

Re: why can't I post to .applications?

Christopher Faylor-2
On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 02:59:58PM -0500, One Angry User wrote:
>On a windy Wednesday, the 9th day of November, 2005, Carl Karsten's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
>
>> when trying to reply to a post: "Re: [ITP] Installation Profiles
>> packages", I get "News(NNTP)error occurred:gmane.os.cygwin.applications
>> is unidirectional." and yet I have posted "Re: where is setup.exe
>> source?" to gmane.os.cygwin, gotten the confirmation email, replied, and
>> it got posted.
>
>It's the hippos, I'm tellin' ya!

That and the fact that we just don't like him...

cgf