what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

thinktwice
i use Cygwin1.7.1setup.exe to start an fresh installation, because i have downloaded an full package from internet, so i choose local install.  setup process finished successfully.

but when i try to open cgywin, it warns me "bash: /usr/bin/sed: No such file or directory, bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory bash: sed: command not found

how to fix the problem?

Re: what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
On 02/03/2010 11:31 PM, thinktwice wrote:

> i use Cygwin1.7.1setup.exe to start an fresh installation, because i have
> downloaded an full package from internet, so i choose local install.  setup
> process finished successfully.
>
> but when i try to open cgywin, it warns me "bash: /usr/bin/sed: No such file
> or directory, bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory bash: sed: command
> not found
>
> how to fix the problem?

Try these:

1. Rerun 'setup.exe' again.  Cycle through all the pages taking the defaults.
   This will make sure that the post-install scripts all run to completion
if they
   didn't last time.  Make sure you use the 'setup.exe' from cygwin.com.  The
   current version is 2.680.

2. Remove any previous versions of Cygwin or stray cygwin1.dlls you may
   have hanging around.

3. Look for <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>.  Remove ant found.

4. Look for and remove or otherwise hide any toolsets providing like-named
   utilities.

5. Look in /var/setup.log* for complaints.  Fix problems reported as possible.

6. If all else fails, read and follow the problem reporting guidelines found
   here <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  It's probably worthwhile to
   *attach* your setup.log.full to any such future problem report.

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

Re: what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

G.W. Haywood
Hi there,

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 Larry Hall wrote:

> Make sure you use the 'setup.exe' from cygwin.com.
>  The current version is 2.680.

It's long seemed to me that there's a case for changing the name of this
file.  On the average Windows box it is not unusual to see several files
called 'setup.exe' descended from entirely unrelated products.  I've just
found 33 of them on a customer's server, the oldest is dated August 1992.
At least one useful ACRONYM was suggested here:

although they all seem to have fallen on stony ground.

> Remove any previous versions of Cygwin or stray cygwin1.dlls you may
> have hanging around.

Similar - perhaps something like they do for the C libraries:

portakabin2:~$ >>> ls -lar --sort=time /lib/libc-* /lib/libc.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1528742 2007-06-19 21:57 /lib/libc-2.5.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1575187 2008-04-20 07:17 /lib/libc-2.7.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1658350 2009-04-03 11:00 /lib/libc-2.9.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1733115 2010-01-01 03:02 /lib/libc-2.11.1.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      14 2010-01-06 15:55 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.11.1.so*

libc.so.6 -> libc-2.11.1.so [Slackware current]
libc.so.6 -> libc-2.7.so [Debian Lenny]
libc.so.6 -> libc-2.3.2.so [old Red Hat thing laying around here]

I understand that there are issues with running more than one version
of the Cygwin DLL, and with NTFS junction points.  I'm just suggesting
that, with a very small amount of effort, things could easily be made
much clearer for everyone - and one possible result of that might be a
little less traffic on the Cygwin mailling list.

Comments?

--

73,
Ged.

RE: what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

David Means
I've had a similar problem, on Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit.

If I try to install everything (as I have routinely and always done in the past), then the install fails.

However, when I take the defaults, it succeeds.  Taking the defaults is for me, annoying.  I find myself going back to the setup for many weeks installing things that were initially missed.

On 02/03/2010 11:31 PM, thinktwice wrote:

> i use Cygwin1.7.1setup.exe to start an fresh installation, because i have
> downloaded an full package from internet, so i choose local install.  setup
> process finished successfully.
>
> but when i try to open cgywin, it warns me "bash: /usr/bin/sed: No such file
> or directory, bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory bash: sed: command
> not found
>
> how to fix the problem?

Try these:

1. Rerun 'setup.exe' again.  Cycle through all the pages taking the defaults.
   This will make sure that the post-install scripts all run to completion
if they
   didn't last time.  Make sure you use the 'setup.exe' from cygwin.com.  The
   current version is 2.680.

2. Remove any previous versions of Cygwin or stray cygwin1.dlls you may
   have hanging around.

3. Look for <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>.  Remove ant found.

4. Look for and remove or otherwise hide any toolsets providing like-named
   utilities.

5. Look in /var/setup.log* for complaints.  Fix problems reported as possible.

6. If all else fails, read and follow the problem reporting guidelines found
   here <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  It's probably worthwhile to
   *attach* your setup.log.full to any such future problem report.

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

Re: what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

Dave Korn-6
On 05/02/2010 11:58, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 Larry Hall wrote:
>> Make sure you use the 'setup.exe' from cygwin.com.

> It's long seemed to me that there's a case for changing the name of this
> file.  On the average Windows box it is not unusual to see several files
> called 'setup.exe' descended from entirely unrelated products.

  The Cygwin icon is a bit of a dead giveaway.

    cheers,
      DaveK

Re: what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

Christopher Faylor-8
On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 03:08:59PM +0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 05/02/2010 11:58, G.W. Haywood wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 Larry Hall wrote:
>>> Make sure you use the 'setup.exe' from cygwin.com.
>
>> It's long seemed to me that there's a case for changing the name of this
>> file.  On the average Windows box it is not unusual to see several files
>> called 'setup.exe' descended from entirely unrelated products.
>
>  The Cygwin icon is a bit of a dead giveaway.

And, how, exactly, would changing the name of setup.exe to something
else cause a DECREASE in traffic?  It seems like the opposite would
be true.  We'd have to set up a new "[hidden email]"
list.

RE: what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
Christopher Faylor sent the following at Friday, February 05, 2010 9:59 AM

>On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 03:08:59PM +0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>>On 05/02/2010 11:58, G.W. Haywood wrote:
>>> It's long seemed to me that there's a case for changing the name of
>>> this file.  On the average Windows box it is not unusual to see
>>> several files called 'setup.exe' descended from entirely unrelated products.
>>
>>  The Cygwin icon is a bit of a dead giveaway.
>
> And, how, exactly, would changing the name of setup.exe
> to something else cause a DECREASE in traffic?  It seems
> like the opposite would be true. We'd have to set up a new
> "[hidden email]" list.

Actually, for a while I've thought that a name change might be useful.

The icon identifies it in the GUI, but not on the command line.

I seem to remember having sometimes being blocked from doing something with a
file named setup.exe.  I wasn't blocked after I changed the name or find some
other way to do whatever I was trying to do with it.

(Though maybe it was with a different "setup.exe".)

- Barry

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 10:53:00AM -0500, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:

>Christopher Faylor sent the following at Friday, February 05, 2010 9:59 AM
>>>
>>>The Cygwin icon is a bit of a dead giveaway.
>>
>>And, how, exactly, would changing the name of setup.exe to something
>>else cause a DECREASE in traffic?  It seems like the opposite would be
>>true.  We'd have to set up a new
>>"[hidden email]" list.
>
>Actually, for a while I've thought that a name change might be useful.
>
>The icon identifies it in the GUI, but not on the command line.
>
>I seem to remember having sometimes being blocked from doing something
>with a file named setup.exe.  I wasn't blocked after I changed the name
>or find some other way to do whatever I was trying to do with it.
>
>(Though maybe it was with a different "setup.exe".)

Your experiences notwithstanding, obviously thousands of people are
running setup.exe without problem.  Changing the name would throw a
large group of people into confusion.

We're not going to change the name.  I think the cost outweighs any
benefit (and I actually don't see any benefit).

On 02/05/2010 11:03 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 10:53:00AM -0500, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor sent the following at Friday, February 05, 2010 9:59 AM

>>> And, how, exactly, would changing the name of setup.exe to something
>>> else cause a DECREASE in traffic?  It seems like the opposite would be
>>> true.  We'd have to set up a new
>>> "[hidden email]" list.
>>
>> Actually, for a while I've thought that a name change might be useful.
>>
>> The icon identifies it in the GUI, but not on the command line.
>>
>> I seem to remember having sometimes being blocked from doing something
>> with a file named setup.exe.  I wasn't blocked after I changed the name
>> or find some other way to do whatever I was trying to do with it.
>>
>> (Though maybe it was with a different "setup.exe".)
>
> Your experiences notwithstanding, obviously thousands of people are
> running setup.exe without problem.  Changing the name would throw a
> large group of people into confusion.
>
> We're not going to change the name.  I think the cost outweighs any
> benefit (and I actually don't see any benefit).

I have this strange feeling that I've seen this exact conversation somewhere
before.  Must have been from one of my trips to an alternate reality where
this is discussed regularly...

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:02:54PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>I have this strange feeling that I've seen this exact conversation
>somewhere before.  Must have been from one of my trips to an alternate
>reality where this is discussed regularly...

I was wondering what was going on with that energy vortex on the way to
the bathroom.  And, apparently in this universe my dog still can't play
the piano.

Re: what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:02:54PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> I have this strange feeling that I've seen this exact conversation
>> somewhere before.  Must have been from one of my trips to an alternate
>> reality where this is discussed regularly...
>
> I was wondering what was going on with that energy vortex on the way to
> the bathroom.

Oh, sorry about that.  I sometimes have trouble controlling the location of
the universe bridge...

> And, apparently in this universe my dog still can't play the piano.

I'd like to stop by and see that the next time I'm in the right reality!
It's such a nuisance sorting through all the possible universes to find
the one you want. But I suppose this is getting off topic for this list.
Perhaps this universe has a good forum for discussing trans-universe
travel and its headaches. ;-)

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

Re: what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

G.W. Haywood
Hello again,

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 some of us wrote:

> [snip] this is discussed regularly...

and:

> And, how, exactly, would changing the name of setup.exe to something
> else cause a DECREASE in traffic?

It seems the answer to that question is apparent.

But I do get the message that the name of setup.exe isn't going to be
changed.  I can live with that, even if I don't use a GUI. :)

And the DLL?

--

73,
Ged.

On 02/05/2010 02:39 PM, G.W. Haywood wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 some of us wrote:
>
>> [snip] this is discussed regularly...
>
> and:
>
>> And, how, exactly, would changing the name of setup.exe to something
>> else cause a DECREASE in traffic?
>
> It seems the answer to that question is apparent.

So you didn't read the referenced thread then.  Just to trod over the
same ground again so that this thread can end, those that prefer
'setup.exe' to be called something else on their disk when they
download it can easily change the name in the process.  The rest of
the world does not have to change to suit their needs.  They can
change things locally to be as they wish.  Simple.

> But I do get the message that the name of setup.exe isn't going to be
> changed.  I can live with that, even if I don't use a GUI. :)
>
> And the DLL?

We're considering keeping it.

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 07:39:25PM +0000, G.W. Haywood wrote:

>On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 some of us wrote:
>
>> [snip] this is discussed regularly...
>
>and:
>
>> And, how, exactly, would changing the name of setup.exe to something
>> else cause a DECREASE in traffic?
>
>It seems the answer to that question is apparent.

You're apparently purposely avoiding the point.  Changing the name of
setup.exe would generate more traffic than the handful of times this
has come up here.

>But I do get the message that the name of setup.exe isn't going to be
>changed.

You could have gotten that message by reading the very thread that you
referenced.