urgent help for tool

Samir Bouaziz
Hello,
Am Full professor and I using Cygwin included in the university program of ALTERA tool (university program monitor).
it works fine on WIN7 but after installation on WIN10 the compilation give me this message:
1 [main] bash 9316 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. Please report this problem to
the public mailing list [hidden email]

Could you sold my problem.
I use cygwin in teaching labs and it's includes in ALTERA university program monitor.

Regards

Samir BOUAZIZ
SATIE UMR 8023
DIGITEOLAB
- Bâtiment 660 - Rue Noetzlin
91405 Orsay Cedex

Re: urgent help for tool

john doe
On 10/22/2018 5:05 PM, Samir Bouaziz wrote:
> Hello,
> Am Full professor and I using Cygwin included in the university program of ALTERA tool (university program monitor).
> it works fine on WIN7 but after installation on WIN10 the compilation give me this message:
> 1 [main] bash 9316 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. Please report this problem to
> the public mailing list [hidden email]
>
> Could you sold my problem.
> I use cygwin in teaching labs and it's includes in ALTERA university program monitor.

https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings

HTH.

--
John Doe

Re: urgent help for tool

marco atzeri-4
Am 22.10.2018 um 17:09 schrieb john doe:

> On 10/22/2018 5:05 PM, Samir Bouaziz wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Am Full professor and I using Cygwin included in the university program of ALTERA tool (university program monitor).
>> it works fine on WIN7 but after installation on WIN10 the compilation give me this message:
>> 1 [main] bash 9316 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. Please report this problem to
>> the public mailing list [hidden email]
>>
>> Could you sold my problem.
>> I use cygwin in teaching labs and it's includes in ALTERA university program monitor.
>>

> https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings
>
> HTH.

copying Samir as unlikely he is on the cygwin mailing list.

Samir,
the warning is just a warning not an error.
Eventally following the FAQ that Joe reported you can
ask Altera to update their tool where they are embedding an old copy
of cygwin1.dll.

Best Regards
Marco

---

Re: urgent help for tool

Brian Inglis
On 2018-10-22 11:48, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Am 22.10.2018 um 17:09 schrieb john doe:
>> On 10/22/2018 5:05 PM, Samir Bouaziz wrote:
>>> Am Full professor and I using Cygwin included in the university program of
>>> ALTERA tool (university program monitor).
>>> it works fine on WIN7 but after installation on WIN10 the compilation give me
>>> 1 [main] bash 9316 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer.
>>> Please report this problem to
>>> the public mailing list [hidden email]
>>> Could you sold my problem.
>>> I use cygwin in teaching labs and it's includes in ALTERA university program
>>> monitor.
>> https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings
> copying Samir as unlikely he is on the cygwin mailing list.
> the warning is just a warning not an error.
> Eventally following the FAQ that Joe reported you can
> ask Altera to update their tool where they are embedding an old copy
> of cygwin1.dll.

As Altera and their site has been absorbed by Intel, maybe someone who has
contacts or an account there, could ask Intel to update their distributed
release of Cygwin during each term break, and add a FAQ entry of their own.

Re: urgent help for tool

Thomas Wolff
Lots of people wrote:

>>> https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings
Can we change that error hint so that it points to a suitable help page
rather than the mailing list which is getting spammed by lots of people
who don't even have an idea how to put a meaningful title on their report?

Re: urgent help for tool

Vince Rice

> Can we change that error hint so that it points to a suitable help page rather than the mailing list which is getting spammed by lots of people who don't even have an idea how to put a meaningful title on their report?

Already been done (well, something similar). Read the FAQ entry.

It doesn't help for the old versions of cygwin that are being reported. That's why they're getting that message—because it's an old version.
They're not spamming, they're doing exactly what the message told them to do. The message was unfortunate from the get-go.

Now that has come up yet again, I do wonder if the mailing list software could somehow trap an unquoted FAST_CWD message and just reply with a message that includes a link to the FAQ entry, rather than send the message onto the list. Probably more trouble than it's worth.

Re: urgent help for tool

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Oct 22 17:37, Vince Rice wrote:

> > Can we change that error hint so that it points to a suitable help page rather than the mailing list which is getting spammed by lots of people who don't even have an idea how to put a meaningful title on their report?
>
> Already been done (well, something similar). Read the FAQ entry.
The old Cygwin versions still containing the pointer to email are
actually at least 4 years old, Cygwin 1.7.33 and earlier.

> It doesn't help for the old versions of cygwin that are being
> reported. That's why they're getting that message—because it's an old
> version.  They're not spamming, they're doing exactly what the message
> told them to do. The message was unfortunate from the get-go.

Indeed.  It seemd like a good idea at the time...

> Now that has come up yet again, I do wonder if the mailing list
> software could somehow trap an unquoted FAST_CWD message and just
> reply with a message that includes a link to the FAQ entry, rather
> than send the message onto the list. Probably more trouble than it's
> worth.

We're just users of the sourceware infrastructure.  What we could try
by ourselves is to create an automated reply.  The mail and the
automated reply would still hit the mailing list, but nobody would
have to bother to reply anymore.  This could even be a simple
procmail filter.  I'll look into it (but will need time).

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

Re: urgent help for tool

Stefan Baur
Am 23.10.18 um 09:55 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:

>> It doesn't help for the old versions of cygwin that are being
>> reported. That's why they're getting that message—because it's an old
>> version.  They're not spamming, they're doing exactly what the message
>> told them to do. The message was unfortunate from the get-go.
> Indeed.  It seemd like a good idea at the time...
>
>> Now that has come up yet again, I do wonder if the mailing list
>> software could somehow trap an unquoted FAST_CWD message and just
>> reply with a message that includes a link to the FAQ entry, rather
>> than send the message onto the list. Probably more trouble than it's
>> worth.
> We're just users of the sourceware infrastructure.  What we could try
> by ourselves is to create an automated reply.  The mail and the
> automated reply would still hit the mailing list, but nobody would
> have to bother to reply anymore.  This could even be a simple
> procmail filter.  I'll look into it (but will need time).
Now this may be a nasty hack, buuuut ...

if you can either get hold of the current mailing list's subscriber
list, to auto-subscribe everyone to a new list, or you are able change
the current mailinglist's address to, say, [hidden email], you
could set up an autoresponder at [hidden email] instead.

That autoresponder would then point people at the FAQ entry, and also
contain a message that the mailing list has moved to the new address.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

--
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur

Re: urgent help for tool

Andrey Repin
Greetings, Stefan Baur!

> if you can either get hold of the current mailing list's subscriber
> list, to auto-subscribe everyone to a new list, or you are able change
> the current mailinglist's address to, say, [hidden email], you
> could set up an autoresponder at [hidden email] instead.

That's a long shot, but… given the increased traffic of this noise, it may be
an option.

> That autoresponder would then point people at the FAQ entry, and also
> contain a message that the mailing list has moved to the new address.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: urgent help for tool

Hans-Bernhard Bröker
Am 24.10.2018 um 22:49 schrieb Andrey Repin:
> Greetings, Stefan Baur!
>
>> if you can either get hold of the current mailing list's subscriber
>> list, to auto-subscribe everyone to a new list, or you are able change
>> the current mailinglist's address to, say, [hidden email], you
>> could set up an autoresponder at [hidden email] instead.
>
> That's a long shot, but… given the increased traffic of this noise, it may be
> an option.

A less disruptive approach would be just a) switch this list from
anybody-can-post to subscribers-only, at least for the time being, and
then b) put the FAQ pointers about FAST_CWD prominently into the
auto-reply for non-subscribed users.  At the very least this would have
the benefit of not breaking the continuity of the mailing list archives.

All this based on two assumptions I cannot vouch for:

1) that ezmlm even has the requisite functionality
2) that totally uncontrolled access to the primry mailing list is not on
someone's list of non-negotiable requirements

Re: urgent help for tool

Vince Rice
> On Oct 24, 2018, at 4:05 PM, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
>
> A less disruptive approach would be just a) switch this list from
> anybody-can-post to subscribers-only, at least for the time being, and
> then b) put the FAQ pointers about FAST_CWD prominently into the
> auto-reply for non-subscribed users.  At the very least this would have
> the benefit of not breaking the continuity of the mailing list archives.

An even less disruptive approach would be to just auto-reply to the original
FAST_CWD message, which is what Corinna has already indicated in this
thread that she look into as she has time.