upgrade/add a single package

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

upgrade/add a single package

beau-3
Greetings,

I've looked at the user guide, I think I've got my /etc/setup properly
in place, but when I try to add a new package I end up getting
everything.  The only way I can see to stop this currently is to
manually set each package to "keep" in the package choosing window.
All pointers appreciated.

--
Robert Thomas ("beau") Hayes Link
(c)2005ISR http://www.semanticrestructuring.com/
Discussion, News and Chat at http://lawboards.semanticrestructuring.com/
"In dreams we are not tethered to earthly limitations"---G.T.Snail

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgrade/add a single package

Brian Dessent
beau wrote:

> I think I've got my /etc/setup properly in place

Huh?  Normally there is no need to touch anything under /etc/setup at
all.

>, but when I try to add a new package I end up getting
> everything.  The only way I can see to stop this currently is to
> manually set each package to "keep" in the package choosing window.

Put the radio button at the top to 'keep', then select whichever
individual package you want.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgrade/add a single package

beau-3
On 11/16/05, Brian Dessent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Put the radio button at the top to 'keep', then select whichever
> individual package you want.
Wow but I'm feeling thick right about now.  Many thanks.

beau

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgrade/add a single package

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
In reply to this post by Brian Dessent
On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 02:40:27PM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:

> beau wrote:
>
> > I think I've got my /etc/setup properly in place
>
> Huh?  Normally there is no need to touch anything under /etc/setup at
> all.
>
> >, but when I try to add a new package I end up getting
> > everything.  The only way I can see to stop this currently is to
> > manually set each package to "keep" in the package choosing window.
>
> Put the radio button at the top to 'keep', then select whichever
> individual package you want.

BTW, this doesn't work (last I tried) if you want an experimental
version of a package.  Should it?

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: upgrade/add a single package

Brian Dessent
Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

> BTW, this doesn't work (last I tried) if you want an experimental
> version of a package.  Should it?

It should work, but you will have to click twice (or however many times
necessary) on the desired package to cycle to the experimental version.

There's no way to make such choices sticky, so every time you run setup
you will have to:

a) first select the 'keep' radio button to prevent 'exp' packages from
being downgraded to 'curr', and then manually select each package to be
installed/upgraded

or

b) leave the default selections and then manually override any desired
'exp' packages from 'curr' back to 'exp'.

Setting the radio button to 'exp' is almost always a bad idea, unless
you are feeling particularly adventuresome.

For this reason it's a pain to use 'exp' packages regularly, which is
probably a good thing since they're generally considered not stable.
However, it's a significant limitation of setup that eventually should
be fixed.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/