Quantcast

taskkill - error while loading shared libraries - LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

taskkill - error while loading shared libraries - LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Robert Mark
Hi All,

I have upgraded to Cygwin 1.7 (CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.7.1(0.218/5/3)
2009-12-07 11:48) and am having trouble running a windows commands
that I use a lot as part of Cygwin. For example, when I use taskkill I
get:

/c/WINDOWS/system32/taskkill.exe: error while loading shared
libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

I have read some posts from this list and seen discussion around
LD_LIBRARY_PATH being the path for DLLs. In my environment the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable is not set. I try "export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PATH" but that doesn't fix the issue either.

Any advice as to how I can get this working would be most appreciated!

Rob
:)

Re: taskkill - error while loading shared libraries - LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Robert Mark
Hi All,

No one else has seen this sort of issue before?

> I have upgraded to Cygwin 1.7 (CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.7.1(0.218/5/3)
> 2009-12-07 11:48) and am having trouble running a windows commands
> that I use a lot as part of Cygwin. For example, when I use taskkill I
> get:
>
> /c/WINDOWS/system32/taskkill.exe: error while loading shared
> libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> I have read some posts from this list and seen discussion around
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH being the path for DLLs. In my environment the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable is not set. I try "export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PATH" but that doesn't fix the issue either.
>
> Any advice as to how I can get this working would be most appreciated!

Rob
:)

Re: taskkill - error while loading shared libraries - LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
On 3/3/2010 6:12 PM, Robert Mark wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> No one else has seen this sort of issue before?
>
>> I have upgraded to Cygwin 1.7 (CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.7.1(0.218/5/3)
>> 2009-12-07 11:48) and am having trouble running a windows commands
>> that I use a lot as part of Cygwin. For example, when I use taskkill I
>> get:
>>
>> /c/WINDOWS/system32/taskkill.exe: error while loading shared
>> libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
>> directory
>>
>> I have read some posts from this list and seen discussion around
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH being the path for DLLs. In my environment the
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable is not set. I try "export
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PATH" but that doesn't fix the issue either.
>>
>> Any advice as to how I can get this working would be most appreciated!

Since taskkill is a Windows app and not a Cygwin one, there is no
benefit to fiddling with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, even if Cygwin apps
would otherwise be affected by it (they won't be).  I find the
terminology of the error you see to particularly interesting, since it
doesn't look like your standard Windows error report and certainly
doesn't match the format I see when I force taskkill to error out.
But that's a MS issue/oddity that's better addressed in a Windows
forum.

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

Re: taskkill - error while loading shared libraries - LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Robert Mark
OK, I now know it has nothing to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH - instead
it's a cygdrive prefix issue.

> 2009-12-07 11:48) and am having trouble running a windows commands
> that I use a lot as part of Cygwin. For example, when I use taskkill I
> get:
>
> /c/WINDOWS/system32/taskkill.exe: error while loading shared
> libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

Turns out it was my cygdrive mount was not being set properly. I was
changing the cygdrive mount in my own .bash_profile (via "mount
--change-cygdrive-prefix /") because at the time I was not admin of
the computer and couldn't edit /etc/profile or /etc/fstab. It seems
this is too late: by the time my .bash_profile is evaluated, the PATH
(or something else?) had already been set up and the paths are
screwed.

I fixed up the rights on Windows so I am admin now,  /etc/fstab like so:
none / cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0

And now I can execute the Windows commands as usual.

Rob
:)

Re: taskkill - error while loading shared libraries - LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Mar  5 09:05, Robert Mark wrote:

> Turns out it was my cygdrive mount was not being set properly. I was
> changing the cygdrive mount in my own .bash_profile (via "mount
> --change-cygdrive-prefix /") because at the time I was not admin of
> the computer and couldn't edit /etc/profile or /etc/fstab. It seems
> this is too late: by the time my .bash_profile is evaluated, the PATH
> (or something else?) had already been set up and the paths are
> screwed.
>
> I fixed up the rights on Windows so I am admin now,  /etc/fstab like so:
> none / cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0

You don't have to run under an admin account.  If the cygdrive prefix
is marked as "user" /etc/fstab, you can override it in your user's
/etc/fstab.d/$USER fstab file.
See http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

On Mar  5 10:08, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar  5 09:05, Robert Mark wrote:
> > I fixed up the rights on Windows so I am admin now,  /etc/fstab like so:
> > none / cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
>
> You don't have to run under an admin account.  If the cygdrive prefix
> is marked as "user" /etc/fstab, you can override it in your user's
> /etc/fstab.d/$USER fstab file.
> See http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

Actually, the cygdrive prefix is "user" by default if you don't
have an entry in /etc/fstab.