stray stdout/stderr/pseudo console garbage output

stray stdout/stderr/pseudo console garbage output

Thomas Wolff
When I run mintty in the background from a nested shell, like
     mintty & within a shell script, or
     (mintty &) from an interactive shell,
and it produces the following error output, some stray string is
appended to its output, like:

Ignoring unknown option 'ShowTabBar'.
Font not found, using system substitute:
Luxi Monotch??????                ffer: pty0: pcon

or:

Ignoring unknown option 'ShowTabBar'.
Font not found, using system substitute:
Luxi Mono      2 [main] mintty 1551
fhandler_pty_slave::push_to_pcon_screenbuffer: pty0:
pcon_attach_to mismatch??????

The first message ("Ignoring ...") is written with fprintf(stderr, ...).
The second message ("Font not found") is written with fputs(..., stderr).
Without specific mintty configuration, reproducible with the command
(parentheses needed):
(mintty --fn "dummyfont" -o dummyopt=none&)

Observable with 3.1.0, 3.1.2 or snapshot 2020-01-31.
Sorry, I could not reduce the test case to a simpler setup.
Thomas

Re: stray stdout/stderr/pseudo console garbage output

Takashi Yano
On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 18:19:53 +0100
Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Ignoring unknown option 'ShowTabBar'.
> Font not found, using system substitute:
> Luxi Mono      2 [main] mintty 1551
> fhandler_pty_slave::push_to_pcon_screenbuffer: pty0:
> pcon_attach_to mismatch??????

This output is generated by debug code in pty when some buggy
condition is detected. It seems that pty code still has bug...

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

Re: stray stdout/stderr/pseudo console garbage output

Takashi Yano
On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 08:48:35 +0900
Takashi Yano wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 18:19:53 +0100
> Thomas Wolff wrote:
> > Ignoring unknown option 'ShowTabBar'.
> > Font not found, using system substitute:
> > Luxi Mono      2 [main] mintty 1551
> > fhandler_pty_slave::push_to_pcon_screenbuffer: pty0:
> > pcon_attach_to mismatch??????
>
> This output is generated by debug code in pty when some buggy
> condition is detected. It seems that pty code still has bug...

I have found the culprit.
I will submit a patch for this issue shortly.

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>