ssh logon failure

marco atzeri-4
I am probably missing something obvious

-------------------------------------
ssh  marco@127.0.0.1
marco@127.0.0.1's password:
Last login: Wed Jun  6 06:19:27 2012 from 127.0.0.1

The Hippo says: Welcome to Cygwin

/bin/bash: Operation not permitted
Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed.

on the windows log, I found only:

sshd: PID 7340: Accepted password for marco from 127.0.0.1 port 2011 ssh2
sshd: PID 7340: Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 11: disconnected by user

while sshd.log is empty

Could MARCOATZERI\cyg_server have elevation problem to the user ?

cygcheck.out (120K) Download Attachment

Re: ssh logon failure

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Jun  6 09:04, marco atzeri wrote:

> I am probably missing something obvious
>
> -------------------------------------
> ssh  marco@127.0.0.1
> marco@127.0.0.1's password:
> Last login: Wed Jun  6 06:19:27 2012 from 127.0.0.1
>
> The Hippo says: Welcome to Cygwin
>
> /bin/bash: Operation not permitted
> Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed.
>

> on the windows log, I found only:
>
> sshd: PID 7340: Accepted password for marco from 127.0.0.1 port 2011 ssh2
> sshd: PID 7340: Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 11: disconnected by user
>
> while sshd.log is empty
>
> Could MARCOATZERI\cyg_server have elevation problem to the user ?

The above bash message implies that the user switch has been made
already, and given that you're using password auth, you should have a
nicely defined advapi user token.  I have no idea what problem bash may
have here.

Re: ssh logon failure

DakMark
marco atzeri <marco.atzeri <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I am probably missing something obvious

> -------------------------------------

> ssh  marco <at> 127.0.0.1

> marco <at> 127.0.0.1's password:

> Last login: Wed Jun  6 06:19:27 2012 from 127.0.0.1

> The Hippo says: Welcome to Cygwin

> /bin/bash: Operation not permitted

> Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed.

> on the windows log, I found only:

> sshd: PID 7340: Accepted password for marco from 127.0.0.1 port 2011 ssh2

> sshd: PID 7340: Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 11: disconnected by user

> while sshd.log is empty

> Could MARCOATZERI\cyg_server have elevation problem to the user ?

> Regards

> Marco

Dear marco,

I had get same situation on Windows 8 Release Preview 64bit version.

I have never get on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Anyway, I have one Idea.

Please check attribute of /bin/bash.exe

I got ----------+ for all files in /bin

Then I run chmod 555 for /bin/bash.exe

I could login by ssh.

Re: ssh logon failure

marco atzeri-4
On 6/7/2012 10:47 AM, DakMark wrote:

> Dear marco,

> I had get same situation on Windows 8 Release Preview 64bit version.
> I have never get on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.
>
> Anyway, I have one Idea.
>
> Please check attribute of /bin/bash.exe
> I got ----------+ for all files in /bin
>
> Then I run chmod 555 for /bin/bash.exe
> I could login by ssh.

unfortunately not so simple

$ ls -l bash
-rwxr-xr-x 1 marco root 536078 Feb 26  2011 bash

so it is already 755

Re: ssh logon failure

> On Jun  6 09:04, marco atzeri wrote:
>> I am probably missing something obvious
>>
>> -------------------------------------
>> ssh  marco@127.0.0.1
>> marco@127.0.0.1's password:
>> Last login: Wed Jun  6 06:19:27 2012 from 127.0.0.1
>>
>> The Hippo says: Welcome to Cygwin
>>
>> /bin/bash: Operation not permitted
>> Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed.
>>

>> on the windows log, I found only:
>>
>> sshd: PID 7340: Accepted password for marco from 127.0.0.1 port 2011 ssh2
>> sshd: PID 7340: Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 11: disconnected by user
>>
>> while sshd.log is empty
>>
>> Could MARCOATZERI\cyg_server have elevation problem to the user ?
>
> The above bash message implies that the user switch has been made
> already, and given that you're using password auth, you should have a
> nicely defined advapi user token.  I have no idea what problem bash may
> have here.
>

> Corinna

two additional curious things:

1) any time I restart the pc I need to re-set the "CYGWIN sshd"
logon password on services.
It seems that the ServiceLogonRight is reset by something

2) I can not logon as marco@localhost but I can logon as
cyg_server@localhost

Re: ssh logon failure

> On Jun  6 09:04, marco atzeri wrote:
>> I am probably missing something obvious
>>
>> -------------------------------------
>> ssh  marco@127.0.0.1
>> marco@127.0.0.1's password:
>> Last login: Wed Jun  6 06:19:27 2012 from 127.0.0.1
>>
>> The Hippo says: Welcome to Cygwin
>>
>> /bin/bash: Operation not permitted
>> Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed.
>>

>> on the windows log, I found only:
>>
>> sshd: PID 7340: Accepted password for marco from 127.0.0.1 port 2011 ssh2
>> sshd: PID 7340: Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 11: disconnected by user
>>
>> while sshd.log is empty
>>
>> Could MARCOATZERI\cyg_server have elevation problem to the user ?
>
> The above bash message implies that the user switch has been made
> already, and given that you're using password auth, you should have a
> nicely defined advapi user token.  I have no idea what problem bash may
> have here.
>

> Corinna

I suspect there is an interference from the Novell network, probably
some change of permission level when connected, also not fully logon.

At home I was able to login by ssh.

Idea how to trace the permissions in the two scenarios ?

Re: ssh logon failure

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Jun 21 10:07, marco atzeri wrote:

> >On Jun  6 09:04, marco atzeri wrote:
> >>I am probably missing something obvious
> >>
> >>-------------------------------------
> >>ssh  marco@127.0.0.1
> >>marco@127.0.0.1's password:
> >>Last login: Wed Jun  6 06:19:27 2012 from 127.0.0.1
> >>
> >>The Hippo says: Welcome to Cygwin
> >>
> >>/bin/bash: Operation not permitted
> >>Connection to 127.0.0.1 closed.
> >>----------------------------------------
> >>

> >>on the windows log, I found only:
> >>
> >>sshd: PID 7340: Accepted password for marco from 127.0.0.1 port 2011 ssh2
> >>sshd: PID 7340: Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 11: disconnected by user
> >>
> >>while sshd.log is empty
> >>
> >>Could MARCOATZERI\cyg_server have elevation problem to the user ?
> >
> >The above bash message implies that the user switch has been made
> >already, and given that you're using password auth, you should have a
> >nicely defined advapi user token.  I have no idea what problem bash may
> >have here.
> >

> >Corinna
> >

> I suspect there is an interference from the Novell network, probably
> some change of permission level when connected, also not fully logon.
>
> At home I was able to login by ssh.
>
> Idea how to trace the permissions in the two scenarios ?

Try `/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/whoami /all'.  This shows you the
relevant information stored in the user token of the current session.

Re: ssh logon failure

thebardingreen
I'm having this exact problem.  Did you guys ever solve it?

Re: ssh logon failure

marco atzeri-4
On 8/13/2012 5:49 AM, thebardingreen wrote:
> I'm having this exact problem.  Did you guys ever solve it?

No. Also as now I have further issue with sshd

I suspect that in both case my corporate enviroment is interfering.
Probably the Novell driver or a BLODA or the  security policy;
e.g. "cyg_server" right to "logon as a service" is reset at every boot,
so there are likely other settings like that impacting my user.

Re: ssh logon failure

Yuki Ishibashi
Marco and others:

I also had the same problem, and ultimately was able to solve the problem by:

- Completely removed any references to sshd and cyg_server in the
Windows user accounts and also in /etc/passwd
-Removed the "CYGWIN sshd" Service
(in a Run-as-Admin command line run 'sc delete sshd' )
- Ran the cygwin terminal As-Admin and the /bin/ssh-host-config script,
re-creating the deleted accounts and services by exactly following this guide:
( under 'Configuring OpenSSH in Cygwin')L
http://www.howtogeek.com
/howto/41560/how-to-get-ssh-command-line-access-to-windows-7-using-cygwin/

After that (and running 'net start sshd'), ssh services were restored.
If you're still having this problem
(and for anyone who had to madly google this problem)
I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Re: ssh logon failure

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
On 8/7/2013 1:10 PM, Yuki Ishibashi wrote:

> Marco and others:
>
> I also had the same problem, and ultimately was able to solve the problem by:
>
> - Completely removed any references to sshd and cyg_server in the
> Windows user accounts and also in /etc/passwd
> -Removed the "CYGWIN sshd" Service
> (in a Run-as-Admin command line run 'sc delete sshd' )
> - Ran the cygwin terminal As-Admin and the /bin/ssh-host-config script,
> re-creating the deleted accounts and services by exactly following this guide:
> ( under 'Configuring OpenSSH in Cygwin')L
> http://www.howtogeek.com
> /howto/41560/how-to-get-ssh-command-line-access-to-windows-7-using-cygwin/

For the benefit of those that might find this set of instructions in a web
search, the above link is not associated with nor supported by this list.
Follow these instructions at your own risk and only if you know the
consequences of doing so.  This list recommends that you use Cygwin
resources to help set up OpenSSH and other packages.  Cygwin-specific
documentation is available under the /usr/share/doc/Cygwin directory.

--
Larry

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

Re: ssh logon failure

greenspan
I experienced the "operation not permitted" problem as many others have.

I had not changed my setup when the error was experienced, but I noticed
that every computer which presented this difficulty was a work machine with
our IT security suite installed.  On every PC _without_ an IT security
package, cygwin sshd worked just fine out of the box. On any PC without a
security package which subsequently had one installed, sshd stopped working.

Like at least one other user, I have concluded that my "evil" IT people are
the root cause of the problem.  However, they are of no help whatsoever. By
some combination of dumb luck, relentless hacking and bits of help online, I
arrived at the following conslusions and solution:

Problem one: by default, cygwin sshd uses the windows log, which is hard to
read and doesn't contain the desired diagnostic output. Fixing this revealed
useful clues.

Problem two: /var/empty had the incorrect owner.

THE FIX:

1) Setup cygwin's sshd normally by invoking: ssh-host-config -y (If you have
been thrashing about trying to solve this problem and have changed
permissions and config files, just run the script again to ensure that your
setup is reasonable)
2) DON'T START sshd.
3) Issue "chown SYSTEM /var/empty"
4) Uninstall the default sshd service by invoking: cygrunsrv --remove sshd
5) Reinstall the service and make the sshd output go to /var/log/sshd.log by
invoking: cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "Cygwin sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a '-D -e'

I hope this works for you.

Re: ssh logon failure

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
On 10/24/2013 8:52 PM, Dan Greenspan wrote:

> I experienced the "operation not permitted" problem as many others have.
>
> I had not changed my setup when the error was experienced, but I noticed
> that every computer which presented this difficulty was a work machine with
> our IT security suite installed.  On every PC _without_ an IT security
> package, cygwin sshd worked just fine out of the box. On any PC without a
> security package which subsequently had one installed, sshd stopped working.
>
> Like at least one other user, I have concluded that my "evil" IT people are
> the root cause of the problem.  However, they are of no help whatsoever. By
> some combination of dumb luck, relentless hacking and bits of help online, I
> arrived at the following conslusions and solution:
>
> Problem one: by default, cygwin sshd uses the windows log, which is hard to
> read and doesn't contain the desired diagnostic output. Fixing this revealed
> useful clues.
>
> Problem two: /var/empty had the incorrect owner.
>
> THE FIX:
>
> 1) Setup cygwin's sshd normally by invoking: ssh-host-config -y (If you have
> been thrashing about trying to solve this problem and have changed
> permissions and config files, just run the script again to ensure that your
> setup is reasonable)
> 2) DON'T START sshd.
> 3) Issue "chown SYSTEM /var/empty"
> 4) Uninstall the default sshd service by invoking: cygrunsrv --remove sshd
> 5) Reinstall the service and make the sshd output go to /var/log/sshd.log by
> invoking: cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "Cygwin sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a '-D -e'
>
> I hope this works for you.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this and for posting your findings.
Can I ask what O/S version you're running on the machines where you see
this problem?  Part of my reason for asking is that "SYSTEM" is only a
valid owner for '/var/empty' on XP machines.  For later versions, it should
be "cyg-server" (and actually, "cyg-server" should work fine on XP machines
as well).

--
Larry

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

Re: ssh logon failure

greenspan
Larry, thanks for your reply.  I am using windows 7.  I've tried changing ownership of /var/empty to cyg_server, but this doesn't help.

FYI my "Fix" only worked for a day before failing again.  Now I'm back to square one.

Re: ssh logon failure

greenspan
Furthermore, I've just discovered that I _can_ log in as the cyg_server user!  From there, if i attempt to su to myself (user greendg1), I see this:

---
$ su - greendg1
su: warning: cannot change directory to //APLFS01/GREENDG1$: Not a directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `//APLFS01': Read-only file system
//APLFS01/GREENDG1$ could not be created.
Setting HOME to /tmp.
---

This utterly confuses me; I know what APLFS01 is, but not why it's part of this horrible mix... I'm guessing that I have an environment variable problem, and that depending upon how I log in and when, the environment is improperly set, which is causing bash to fail, which is why I get the "operation not permitted" error.  But this is all conjecture.

What variable contains the value that bash uses (or ssh or su pass to bash)?

Re: ssh logon failure

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
On 11/11/2013 7:23 PM, greenspan wrote:
> Furthermore, I've just discovered that I _can_ log in as the cyg_server user!

This is not recommended for normal use.

>>From there, if i attempt to su to myself (user greendg1), I see this:
>
> ---
> $ su - greendg1
> su: warning: cannot change directory to //APLFS01/GREENDG1$: Not a directory
> mkdir: cannot create directory `//APLFS01': Read-only file system
> //APLFS01/GREENDG1$ could not be created.
> Setting HOME to /tmp.
> ---
>
> This utterly confuses me; I know what APLFS01 is, but not why it's part of
> this horrible mix... I'm guessing that I have an environment variable
> problem, and that depending upon how I log in and when, the environment is
> improperly set, which is causing bash to fail, which is why I get the
> "operation not permitted" error.  But this is all conjecture.
>
> What variable contains the value that bash uses (or ssh or su pass to bash)?

'ssh' gets its home directory from '/etc/passwd'.  For 'cyg_server' this
would be '/var/empty' and the shell would be '/bin/false' (now it's probably
obvious why 'cyg_server' is not meant to be used as a login account).

If you've set HOME in your Windows environment, 'su' may be picking up
on that.  But I think you're heading off into the weeds with this line
of investigation...

--
Larry

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

Re: ssh logon failure

George Demmy-2
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM, greenspan wrote:
> Larry, thanks for your reply.  I am using windows 7.  I've tried changing
> ownership of /var/empty to cyg_server, but this doesn't help.
>
> FYI my "Fix" only worked for a day before failing again.  Now I'm back to
> square one.

FWIW I was struggling with setting up ssh on a heterogeneous set of
boxes and all the while I was thinking I had sshd messed up but I
think turned out that the uids on the files in .ssh were inconsistent.
A recursive chown on the .ssh dir and locking the dir/file perms down
to 700/600 solved a heap of problems for me. The one sshd thing that
bit me was DNS, but I set UseDNS no in /etc/sshd_config and cleared
that up as well.

One of the mantras that it helps to repeat is that "ssh on Cygwin
works" so it's
a matter of making sure yourenvironment is right:
- valid uid/USERNAME/HOME in /etc/passwd
- .ssh is in $HOME and chown $USERNAME and chmod 700
- all files in .ssh are chown $USERNAME and chmod 600 (not strictly
necessary, but removes doubt)
- public keys from foreign boxes stashed away properly in .ssh/authorized_keys

HTH,

George

Re: ssh logon failure

greenspan
I feel like a terrier peeling away an onion.  Darn it, this is going to work!

I agree with your comment about being in the weeds and started over, in the process discovering why HOME was set improperly (using the domain switch for mkpasswd instead of local). I reinstalled ssh, re-ran ssh-host-config, and now am in this situation: I can ssh in, but only using public key authentication.  Passwords do not work (and they must for this application).

When I use a password, the login process seems like it's working - I see the MOTD, but am immediately disconnected.  The server logs simply state that the client disconnected.  The client -vvv option shows this (everything before MOTD not shown):

**  Here is the MOTD   **

debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype eow@openssh.com reply 0
debug2: channel 0: rcvd eow
debug2: channel 0: close_read
debug2: channel 0: input open -> closed
debug2: channel 0: rcvd eof
debug2: channel 0: output open -> drain
debug2: channel 0: obuf empty
debug2: channel 0: close_write
debug2: channel 0: output drain -> closed
debug2: channel 0: rcvd close
debug3: channel 0: will not send data after close
debug2: channel 0: almost dead
debug2: channel 0: gc: notify user
debug2: channel 0: gc: user detached
debug2: channel 0: send close
debug2: channel 0: is dead
debug2: channel 0: garbage collecting
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
debug3: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:
  #0 client-session (t4 r0 i3/0 o3/0 fd -1/-1 cc -1)

Connection to 192.168.200.98 closed.
Transferred: sent 2736, received 2532 bytes, in 0.1 seconds
Bytes per second: sent 19456.0, received 18005.3
debug1: Exit status 1

-I have tried temporarily removing my .bashrc, .profile and so on, but this does not change the issue.
-.ssh is owned by me and is mode 700; all .ssh contents are owned by me and are mode 600
-I've issued "chmod 600 /etc/ssh*"
-I've manually examined all binaries in /bin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin to verify that they have reasonable modes and owners (all are owned by me (an administrative user), and all are mode 755)
-I own my directory in /home and it has mode 755
-I am not using PAM
-Passwords are not turned off in /etc/sshd_config

Attached is the output of cygcheck.
cygcheck.txt