smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

Christian Franke
Hi,

I would like to contribute and maintain the smartmontools package
(http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/).

With the (re?)appearance of syslogd, the "smartd" daemon starts to get
useful on Cygwin.
I recently added support to run smartd as service via cygrunsrv,
including the ability to install/remove/control service via
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/smartd"

# proposed setup.hint for smartmontools
sdesc: "Utilities for monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices"
ldesc: "Smartmontools contains utility programs (smartctl, smartd)
to control/monitor storage systems using the Self-Monitoring, Analysis
and Reporting Technology System (S.M.A.R.T.) built into most modern
ATA and SCSI disks. In many cases, these utilities will provide
advanced warning of disk degradation and failure.
Project home page is at http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/"
curr: 5.34-0-20051107
category: Utils
requires: cygwin cygrunsrv

If there is any interest, I will provide test packages build from
current CVS soon.

BTW: The "event message file" tool syslogevt.exe included in the native
Windows version of smartmontools works also for event log messages
generated by Cygwin.

Christian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 12 16:25, Christian Franke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to contribute and maintain the smartmontools package
> (http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/).
>
> With the (re?)appearance of syslogd, the "smartd" daemon starts to get
> useful on Cygwin.
> I recently added support to run smartd as service via cygrunsrv,
> including the ability to install/remove/control service via
> "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smartd"
>
> # proposed setup.hint for smartmontools
> sdesc: "Utilities for monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices"
> ldesc: "Smartmontools contains utility programs (smartctl, smartd)
> to control/monitor storage systems using the Self-Monitoring, Analysis
> and Reporting Technology System (S.M.A.R.T.) built into most modern
> ATA and SCSI disks. In many cases, these utilities will provide
> advanced warning of disk degradation and failure.
> Project home page is at http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/"
> curr: 5.34-0-20051107
> category: Utils
> requires: cygwin cygrunsrv
>
> If there is any interest, I will provide test packages build from
> current CVS soon.

Just go ahead and ITP the package.  If you wait for a reply to this
question, you might starve.


Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Red Hat, Inc.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ITP] smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

Christian Franke
Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>Just go ahead and ITP the package.  If you wait for a reply to this
>question, you might starve.
>  
>

OK, first try of smartmontools package is here:

http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/setup.hint
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.34-pre20051115.tar.bz2
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.34-pre20051115-src.tar.bz2

This is a prerelease of 5.34, therefore the src package contains
original 5.33 and a big patch vs. current CVS.

Christian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 15 23:32, Christian Franke wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> >Just go ahead and ITP the package.  If you wait for a reply to this
> >question, you might starve.
> >
> >
>
> OK, first try of smartmontools package is here:
>
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/setup.hint
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.34-pre20051115.tar.bz2
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.34-pre20051115-src.tar.bz2
>
> This is a prerelease of 5.34, therefore the src package contains
> original 5.33 and a big patch vs. current CVS.

Looks pretty much ok, except

- I don't like the versioning scheme.  You should keep the normal Cygwin
  subversion intact (counting from 1) and put the `pre2005...' string
  into the main version, in a way which allows easy updates without
  having to put "curr" and "prev" strings into setup.hint at some later
  point.  For instance

    smartmontools-5.33pre20051115-1.tar.bz2

  Accordingly in the source archive, so that the 5.34 release number is
  not tainted.  I hope that makes sense.

- The postinstall script copies the file /etc/defaults/etc/smartd.conf,
  but the file itself is accidentally in /etc/defaults.

If you change this, the package is GTG, AFAICS.


Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Red Hat, Inc.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

Christian Franke
Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> [...]
>
>Looks pretty much ok, except
>
>- I don't like the versioning scheme.  You should keep the normal Cygwin
>  subversion intact (counting from 1) and put the `pre2005...' string
>  into the main version, in a way which allows easy updates without
>  having to put "curr" and "prev" strings into setup.hint at some later
>  point.  For instance
>
>    smartmontools-5.33pre20051115-1.tar.bz2
>
>  Accordingly in the source archive, so that the 5.34 release number is
>  not tainted.  I hope that makes sense.
>  
>

OK.

I selected 5.34 because PACKAGE_VERSION in current CVS is already set to
5.34, "make install" puts docsfiles in
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.34, programs output this version, etc.

If the above doesn't matter, I suggest to use

  smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1.tar.bz2

because it is not a 5.33pre-release but a release from current CVS
snapshot which is based on 5.33.


>- The postinstall script copies the file /etc/defaults/etc/smartd.conf,
>  but the file itself is accidentally in /etc/defaults.
>  
>

Yes, thanks.

>If you change this, the package is GTG, AFAICS.
>  
>

Thx.

Christian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

Max O Bowsher
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Christian Franke wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Looks pretty much ok, except
>>
>> - I don't like the versioning scheme.  You should keep the normal Cygwin
>>  subversion intact (counting from 1) and put the `pre2005...' string
>>  into the main version, in a way which allows easy updates without
>>  having to put "curr" and "prev" strings into setup.hint at some later
>>  point.  For instance
>>
>>    smartmontools-5.33pre20051115-1.tar.bz2
>>
>>  Accordingly in the source archive, so that the 5.34 release number is
>>  not tainted.  I hope that makes sense.
>>  
>>
>
> OK.
>
> I selected 5.34 because PACKAGE_VERSION in current CVS is already set to
> 5.34, "make install" puts docsfiles in
> /usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.34, programs output this version, etc.
>
> If the above doesn't matter, I suggest to use
>
>  smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1.tar.bz2
>
> because it is not a 5.33pre-release but a release from current CVS
> snapshot which is based on 5.33.


It's probably best to patch the code so it reports itself as 5.33, then.


Max.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Cygwin)

iD8DBQFDfPuOfFNSmcDyxYARAqXSAKC/1Xl24wafZWqq9M/PC1LqIajO7gCdEi/q
GjxkZw3v9dM3Ad0gCDmBULY=
=r+HK
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

Christian Franke
In reply to this post by Christian Franke

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> [...]
>
>> - The postinstall script copies the file /etc/defaults/etc/smartd.conf,
>>  but the file itself is accidentally in /etc/defaults.
>>  
>>
>
> Yes, thanks.
>
>> If you change this, the package is GTG, AFAICS.
>>  
>>


2nd try:

http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/setup.hint
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1.tar.bz2
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1-src.tar.bz2

Christian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 17 23:20, Christian Franke wrote:

>
> >Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >[...]
> >
> >>- The postinstall script copies the file /etc/defaults/etc/smartd.conf,
> >> but the file itself is accidentally in /etc/defaults.
> >>
> >>
> >
> >Yes, thanks.
> >
> >>If you change this, the package is GTG, AFAICS.
> >>
> >>
>
>
> 2nd try:
>
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/setup.hint
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1.tar.bz2
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1-src.tar.bz2

Erm... looks fine, but... now that the package is called
smartmontools-5.33foo, maybe the documentation should also be in
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.33 or
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.33foo instead of in
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.34?


Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Red Hat, Inc.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

Christian Franke
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > [...]
> > 2nd try:
> >
> > http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/setup.hint
> >
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1.tar.bz2
> >
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1-src.tar.bz2
>
> Erm... looks fine, but... now that the package is called
> smartmontools-5.33foo, maybe the documentation should also be in
> /usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.33 or
> /usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.33foo instead of in
> /usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.34?

OK changed, 3rd try:

http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/setup.hint
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1.tar.bz2
http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1-src.tar.bz2

The smartmontools*.sh script now contains extra commands to build the
native windows package on Cygwin: wconf, wbuild, wpkg, ...

Christian



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] smartmontools: monitoring S.M.A.R.T. disks and devices

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 18 13:49, Christian Franke wrote:
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/setup.hint
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1.tar.bz2
> http://franke.dvrdns.org/cygwin/smartmontools-5.33cvs20051115-1-src.tar.bz2

Thanks, uploaded.  Please send an announcement to cygwin-announce in
a couple of hours.


Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Red Hat, Inc.