setup-x86_64 Can't Download to Mapped Drive

setup-x86_64 Can't Download to Mapped Drive

Sridhar Ayengar
Hi!

I'm trying to use setup-x86_64.exe to update Cygwin.  The directory into
which Cygwin is installed is C:\cygwin.  I am trying to use a network
shared drive mapped to I: for the download directory, I:\cygwindownload.
setup-x86_64 shows a dialog box with "Directory I:\cygwindownload does not
exist, would you like me to create it?".  If I click "Yes", I get a dialog
box with "Could not create directory I:\cygwindownload, sorry.  (Is drive
full or read-only?)".  I get the same behavior even if I remove
I:\cygwindownload and have setup-x86_64.exe try to create it.

Thanks for reading.

Peace...  Sridhar

P.S.  My cygcheck.out file is too large to attach.  Let me know if you need
it, and I'll send it directly.

P.P.S.  I know it's picky, but it seems to me like the first dialog box
message is a run-on-sentence.

Re: setup-x86_64 Can't Download to Mapped Drive

Andrey Repin
Greetings, Sridhar Ayengar!

> I'm trying to use setup-x86_64.exe to update Cygwin.  The directory into
> which Cygwin is installed is C:\cygwin.  I am trying to use a network
> shared drive mapped to I: for the download directory, I:\cygwindownload.
> setup-x86_64 shows a dialog box with "Directory I:\cygwindownload does not
> exist, would you like me to create it?".  If I click "Yes", I get a dialog
> box with "Could not create directory I:\cygwindownload, sorry.  (Is drive
> full or read-only?)".  I get the same behavior even if I remove
> I:\cygwindownload and have setup-x86_64.exe try to create it.

Get off the habit of using mapped drives. Use UNC paths directly.
But for your specific issue, the drive mapped in your user session, but you
start setup within administrative session, where the drive is not mapped.
So, back to the previous statement, get off the bad habits. Or map the disk
inside adm session.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: setup-x86_64 Can't Download to Mapped Drive

L A Walsh

----

> Get off the habit of using mapped drives. Use UNC paths directly.
----
        Why?  UNC drives are the linux equivalent of a local alias
of a local "mount --bind //net/dir /i/".  Would you tell linux users
to get off the habit of using mount with bind?

        I have used Cygwin since Windows_XP with my Cygwin package
cache on a mapped drive (and have it installed at C:\ with a drive
prefix of '/', so '/c' == '/':

> cd 'S:/Software/Cygwin'
/s/Software/Cygwin>
> more setup.log.full
2018/11/02 15:32:27 Starting cygwin install, version 2.891
2018/11/02 15:32:27 User has backup/restore rights
2018/11/02 15:32:27 Current Directory: S:\Software\Cygwin
2018/11/02 15:32:27 Could not open service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may not be installed, or we don't have access.
2018/11/02 15:32:30 Ending cygwin install
> net use S:
Local name        S:
Remote name       \\Ishtar\Share
Resource type     Disk

        I have never had a problem with it being remote.

        FWIW, my cygwin signon is in the Administrators group
as well as my local domain (hosted on linux)'s "Domain Admins"
group.

        Second point (not sure if it is important or not), my local
sys account 'Administrator' has the same mappings as my main login.

Re: setup-x86_64 Can't Download to Mapped Drive

Sridhar Ayengar
I will take your advice.  Thanks.

Peace...  Sridhar