setup release candidate - please test

12

setup release candidate - please test

Jon TURNEY

A setup release candidate is available at:

   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86.exe
   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86_64.exe

Since this changes the way we download files, I think this can use some
wider testing before release.

Please test and give feedback to [hidden email]. If no regressions
are discovered in the next few days, it will be promoted to release.

Changes compared to 2.877:

- "Direct Connection" now uses the WinINet API to fetch URLs.

This enables HTTPS and FTPS protocol support, and caching of mirrors.lst
and setup.ini.

The existing, hand-built URL fetching, which only supports HTTP and FTP,
is still available by choosing "Direct (legacy)".

- Fixes to "Use Internet Explorer Proxy Settings" mode

Progress is now reported for downloads.

Unwanted caching in "Temporary Internet Files" of package archives has
been fixed.
(Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-09/msg00403.html)

A bug causing a long delay before downloading setup.ini from package
repositories without a compressed setup.ini has been fixed.

- Add --allow-unsupported-windows option

Don't check the windows version.

The Cygwin mirror list is not read, so a URL (e.g. a Cygwin time machine
circa) should be given with --site or via the GUI.

- Remove support for some long-obsolete setup.ini syntax (omitted
version:, omitted size and checksum, various undocumented tokens)

- Remove cruft

Re: setup release candidate - please test

Cygwin list mailing list
Execution blocked by Windows 10 anti-virus.    (Microsoft Security Essentials.)

On Mon, 8 May 2017 12:06:31, Jon Turney wrote:

> A setup release candidate is available at:
>
>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86.exe
>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
>
> Since this changes the way we download files, I think this can use some
> wider testing before release.
>
> Please test and give feedback to [hidden email]. If no regressions
> are discovered in the next few days, it will be promoted to release.

Looks good, but I still hate the last screen. The "Create Icons" screen. I do
not now or ever want to create these icons, but Cygwin asks me every single
time. So I must uncheck the boxes every single time.

Yes, I know I can just make a shortcut with the proper flags included, but why
should I? Setup already remembers via /etc/setup/setup.rc:

- last-action
- last-cache
- last-mirror
- mirrors-lst
- net-method

We should be able to add the icon preference to this list.

On 08/05/2017 12:11, Dave Caswell via cygwin wrote:
> Execution blocked by Windows 10 anti-virus.    (Microsoft Security Essentials.)
>
> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Dave Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Execution blocked by Windows 10 anti-virus.    (Microsoft Security
>> Essentials.)

Thanks for the report.

These files were built in a fresh Fedora Linux VM created for this
purpose, so I think they are pretty unlikely to be compromised.

Can you provide some more details, e.g. which file you tried to execute
(x86 or x86_64)?  What reason MSE gives for blocking execution?

>> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:06 AM, Jon Turney
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> A setup release candidate is available at:
>>>
>>>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86.exe
>>>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86_64.exe

Re: setup release candidate - please test

Henry S. Thompson
Dave Caswell via cygwin writes:

> Execution blocked by Windows 10 anti-virus.  (Microsoft Security
> Essentials.)

Not in my case, all went smoothly, around 40 packages updated.

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: setup release candidate - please test

Eliot Moss
On 5/8/2017 7:06 AM, Jon Turney wrote:

> A setup release candidate is available at:
>
>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86.exe
>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86_64.exe

Both worked flawlessly for me.  I run Windows 10,
Creator Update (most recent release AFAIK).

One difference from before is that I get a Windows
Defender SmartScreen pop-up.  I have to click the
"More info" option and then a "Run anyway" button
appears, allowing me to run the setup program.

AFAICT, this happens only the *first* time I run
the setup program.  Thereafter, WIndows Defender
does not complain.

Regards - Eliot

On May 8, 2017 7:06:31 AM EDT, Jon Turney <[hidden email]> wrote:

>A setup release candidate is available at:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86.exe
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86_64.exe

As reported before, _64 still can't make it through my location's apparently unusual proxy, although cygwin's wget given proxy and password still can. Install with local mirror option works ok still. Windos 7 Enterprise SP1.

On 2017-05-08 05:11, Dave Caswell via cygwin wrote:

> Execution blocked by Windows 10 anti-virus.    (Microsoft Security Essentials.)
> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Dave Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Execution blocked by Windows 10 anti-virus.    (Microsoft Security
>> Essentials.)
>> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:06 AM, Jon Turney <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> A setup release candidate is available at:
>>>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86.exe
>>>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
>>> Since this changes the way we download files, I think this can
>>> use some wider testing before release.
>>> Please test and give feedback to [hidden email]. If no
>>> regressions are discovered in the next few days, it will be
>>> promoted to release.
>>> Changes compared to 2.877:
>>> - "Direct Connection" now uses the WinINet API to fetch URLs.
>>> This enables HTTPS and FTPS protocol support, and caching of
>>> mirrors.lst and setup.ini.
>>> The existing, hand-built URL fetching, which only supports HTTP
>>> and FTP, is still available by choosing "Direct (legacy)".
>>> - Fixes to "Use Internet Explorer Proxy Settings" mode
>>> Progress is now reported for downloads.
>>> Unwanted caching in "Temporary Internet Files" of package
>>> archives has been fixed.
>>> (Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-09/msg00403.html)
>>> A bug causing a long delay before downloading setup.ini from
>>> package repositories without a compressed setup.ini has been
>>> fixed.
>>> - Add --allow-unsupported-windows option
>>> Don't check the windows version.
>>> The Cygwin mirror list is not read, so a URL (e.g. a Cygwin time
>>> machine circa) should be given with --site or via the GUI.
>>> - Remove support for some long-obsolete setup.ini syntax
>>> (omitted version:, omitted size and checksum, various
>>> undocumented tokens)
>>> - Remove cruft

$ *cmd /c ver*
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
$ *uname -srvmo*
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 2.8.0(0.309/5/3) 2017-04-01 20:47 x86_64 Cygwin

Firefox download gives W10 Windows Defender Run warning
"from an unknown publisher" and [Don't Run] button -
/More info/ link also displays [Run Anyway] button - runs okay.

wget download no longer sets x bits and won't run from Explorer,
cygstart, or bash:

$ cygstart ./setup-2.878.x86_64
Unable to start 'setup-2.878.x86_64.exe': The operating system denied access to the specified file.
$ cygstart ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
Unable to start 'setup-2.878.x86_64.exe': The operating system denied access to the specified file.
$ ./setup-2.878.x86_64
-bash: ./setup-2.878.x86_64: Permission denied
$ ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
-bash: ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe: Permission denied

- requires chmod +x to run.

Re: setup release candidate - please test

EF-5
Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Dave Caswell via cygwin writes:
>
> > Execution blocked by Windows 10 anti-virus.  (Microsoft Security
> > Essentials.)
>
> Not in my case, all went smoothly, around 40 packages updated.

Likewise, everything worked fine for me on our Win 10 x64 test box,
running setup 64, updated maybe 10 packages.  Similar results on a
Win7 x64 machine.  Both machines are running Microsoft Security
Essentials.

Eric

Re: setup release candidate - please test

Peter A. Castro
On Mon, 8 May 2017, Jon Turney wrote:

> Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 12:06:31 +0100
> From: Jon Turney
> Subject: setup release candidate - please test

Greetings, Jon,

> A setup release candidate is available at:
>
>  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86.exe
>  https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86_64.exe

Huzzah!!

Got some questions below:

> Since this changes the way we download files, I think this can use some wider
> testing before release.
>
> Please test and give feedback to [hidden email]. If no regressions are
> discovered in the next few days, it will be promoted to release.
>

> Changes compared to 2.877:
>
> - "Direct Connection" now uses the WinINet API to fetch URLs.
>
> This enables HTTPS and FTPS protocol support, and caching of mirrors.lst and
> setup.ini.
>
> The existing, hand-built URL fetching, which only supports HTTP and FTP, is
> still available by choosing "Direct (legacy)".
>
> - Fixes to "Use Internet Explorer Proxy Settings" mode
>
> Progress is now reported for downloads.
>
> Unwanted caching in "Temporary Internet Files" of package archives has been
> fixed.
> (Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-09/msg00403.html)
>
> A bug causing a long delay before downloading setup.ini from package
> repositories without a compressed setup.ini has been fixed.
>
> - Add --allow-unsupported-windows option
> Don't check the windows version.

Huzzah!!  Thanks for this!!

> The Cygwin mirror list is not read, so a URL (e.g. a Cygwin time machine
> circa) should be given with --site or via the GUI.
>
> - Remove support for some long-obsolete setup.ini syntax (omitted version:,
> omitted size and checksum, various undocumented tokens)

Can you tell me what Setup will do if it encounters one of these
"obsolete" setup.ini?  Throw an error?  Ignore the omission (how?)?
Ignore the entire package entry??  Allow the user to continue anyway?

I'm thinking that I may need to go update some of the older circa to
"conform" to the new normal (if possible...some circa of setup.ini were
terribly broken and never really worked to begin with!) so customers can
use the latest Setup with the Time Machine.

Thanks for all the great work, btw!

> - Remove cruft
>
> --
> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com

On 08/05/2017 19:26, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> On Mon, 8 May 2017, Jon Turney wrote:
[...]
>> - Add --allow-unsupported-windows option
>> Don't check the windows version.
>
> Huzzah!!  Thanks for this!!

No problem.

>> The Cygwin mirror list is not read, so a URL (e.g. a Cygwin time
>> machine circa) should be given with --site or via the GUI.
>>
>> - Remove support for some long-obsolete setup.ini syntax (omitted
>> version:, omitted size and checksum, various undocumented tokens)
>
> Can you tell me what Setup will do if it encounters one of these
> "obsolete" setup.ini?  Throw an error?  Ignore the omission (how?)?
> Ignore the entire package entry??  Allow the user to continue anyway?

I'm afraid I'd have to test it to be sure, but I think that setup will
report a syntax error and attempt to continue processing the setup.ini file.

I suspect the package will not be in very useful state lacking version
or archive information.

On 08/05/2017 17:27, Brian Inglis wrote:

> wget download no longer sets x bits and won't run from Explorer,
> cygstart, or bash:

No longer?  I don't think wget ever did this.

On 08/05/2017 12:38, Steven Penny via cygwin wrote:
> On Mon, 8 May 2017 12:06:31, Jon Turney wrote:

> Looks good, but I still hate the last screen. The "Create Icons" screen.

Thanks for testing.

> We should be able to add the icon preference to this list.

'We' take patches.

On 08/05/2017 14:33, Eliot Moss wrote:

> On 5/8/2017 7:06 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
>>
>> A setup release candidate is available at:
>>
>>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86.exe
>>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
>
> Both worked flawlessly for me.  I run Windows 10,
> Creator Update (most recent release AFAIK).
>
> One difference from before is that I get a Windows
> Defender SmartScreen pop-up.  I have to click the
> "More info" option and then a "Run anyway" button
> appears, allowing me to run the setup program.
>
> AFAICT, this happens only the *first* time I run
> the setup program.  Thereafter, WIndows Defender
> does not complain.

Thanks for testing.

Is Windows 10 1703 more picky about letting you run unsigned executables?

As discussed previously, the problems with getting setup signed are
logistical rather than technical.

On 5/9/2017 6:03 AM, Jon Turney wrote:

> On 08/05/2017 14:33, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> On 5/8/2017 7:06 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
>>>
>>> A setup release candidate is available at:
>>>
>>>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86.exe
>>>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
>>
>> Both worked flawlessly for me.  I run Windows 10,
>> Creator Update (most recent release AFAIK).
>>
>> One difference from before is that I get a Windows
>> Defender SmartScreen pop-up.  I have to click the
>> "More info" option and then a "Run anyway" button
>> appears, allowing me to run the setup program.
>>
>> AFAICT, this happens only the *first* time I run
>> the setup program.  Thereafter, WIndows Defender
>> does not complain.
>
> Thanks for testing.
>
> Is Windows 10 1703 more picky about letting you run unsigned executables?

I think so - I don't recall needing to do this with setup ever before.

> As discussed previously, the problems with getting setup signed are logistical rather than technical.

It's not a huge deal, particularly since it happens only the
first time I run setup.  I suppose the concern would be users
who don't figure out the right clicks or who are suspicious
of doing that, and automated installs.

Regards - EM

On 2017-05-09 03:57, Jon Turney wrote:

> On 08/05/2017 17:27, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> wget download no longer sets x bits and won't run from Explorer,
>> cygstart, or bash:
> No longer?  I don't think wget ever did this.
>> $ cygstart ./setup-2.878.x86_64
>> Unable to start 'setup-2.878.x86_64.exe': The operating system denied access to the specified file.
>> $ cygstart ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
>> Unable to start 'setup-2.878.x86_64.exe': The operating system denied access to the specified file.
>> $ ./setup-2.878.x86_64
>> -bash: ./setup-2.878.x86_64: Permission denied
>> $ ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
>> -bash: ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe: Permission denied
>> - requires chmod +x to run.

Never had to chmod -x setup in my download, check, launch script
until now - it used to just check it was -x and complain if not,
which it did this time, pre-fix!
Did not require that on my last (wget -N) download of the current
setup release, but now does.
Consistent across directories, Cygwin, and Windows DACLs.
Could be Windows, Cygwin, or wget change - not worried about cause.

Re: setup release candidate - please test

Andrey Repin
Greetings, Jon Turney!

> On 08/05/2017 17:27, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>
>> wget download no longer sets x bits and won't run from Explorer,
>> cygstart, or bash:

> No longer?  I don't think wget ever did this.

>> $ cygstart ./setup-2.878.x86_64
>> Unable to start 'setup-2.878.x86_64.exe': The operating system denied access to the specified file.
>> $ cygstart ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
>> Unable to start 'setup-2.878.x86_64.exe': The operating system denied access to the specified file.
>> $ ./setup-2.878.x86_64
>> -bash: ./setup-2.878.x86_64: Permission denied
>> $ ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
>> -bash: ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe: Permission denied
>>
>> - requires chmod +x to run.

It never did by itself, but if you download to a location with
windows-controlled ACL, the executable bit will be set by OS.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: setup release candidate - please test

Jim Reisert AD1C
Symantec Endpoint Protection v. 12.1.6  did not like this file, but I
was able to exclude it.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <[hidden email]>, http://www.ad1c.us

On 08/05/2017 17:19, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
> On May 8, 2017 7:06:31 AM EDT, Jon Turney  wrote:
>
> As reported before, _64 still can't make it through my location's
> apparently unusual proxy, although cygwin's wget given proxy and
> password still can. Install with local mirror option works ok still.
> Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.

It's unsurprising that 2.878 didn't fix this, as it didn't contain any
changes intended to.

However, since I had the code open in my editor, I took look at this...

This is pretty difficult to investigate without access to a (working)
NTLM proxy (getting even ntlm_fake_auth working in squid is beyond me...).

Nevertheless, testing with that did suggest something, so I built a
snapshot (See [1] for source) which tries something different, and does
a bit more logging, so setup.log.full might shed a bit more light on why
this doesn't work.

Please test.

https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878-3-gf41e2e.x86.exe
https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878-3-gf41e2e.x86_64.exe

[1]
https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-setup.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ntlm-proxy-debugging

 via cygwin wrote:
 > On May 8, 2017
 7:06:31 AM EDT, Jon Turney¬† wrote:

 > As reported before, _64 still can't
 make it through my location's

 apparently unusual proxy, although cygwin's wget given
 proxy and
 > password still can. Install
 with local mirror option works ok still.
 > Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.

 It's unsurprising that
 2.878 didn't fix this, as it didn't contain any
 changes intended to.

 However, since I had the code open in my
 editor, I took look at this...

 Please test.

 https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878-3-gf41e2e.x86.exe
 https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878-3-gf41e2e.x86_64.exe

 [1]
 https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-setup.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ntlm-proxy-debugging
= = = =

I didn't expect it to work, but didn't hurt to try it. Thanks for looking at it.

Behavior is still the same - no prompt for a password, and fails to get setup (popup message).
I tried both use IE settings, and Use HTTP/FTP proxy with proxy name and port.
Logs are as follows:

$ cat setup.log.full-ie
2017/05/15 11:17:03 Starting cygwin install, version 2.878-3-gf41e2e
2017/05/15 11:17:03 User has NO backup/restore rights
2017/05/15 11:17:03 Current Directory: E:\cygwin64-mirror\ftwin\mirrors.kernel.org\sourceware\cygwin
2017/05/15 11:17:03 Could not open Service control manager
2017/05/15 11:17:06 source: network install
2017/05/15 11:17:06 root: E:\cygwin64-3 user
2017/05/15 11:17:07 Selected local directory: E:\cygwin64-mirror\ftwin\mirrors.kernel.org\sourceware\cygwin
2017/05/15 11:17:11 net: IE5
Cached mirror list unavailable
Fetching URL: http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst
2017/05/15 11:17:12 HTTP status 403 fetching http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst
Defaulting to empty mirror list
2017/05/15 11:17:13 site: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/
Fetching URL: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.xz.sig
2017/05/15 11:17:13 HTTP status 403 fetching http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.xz.sig
Fetching URL: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.bz2.sig
2017/05/15 11:17:13 HTTP status 403 fetching http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.bz2.sig
Fetching URL: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.ini.sig
2017/05/15 11:17:13 HTTP status 403 fetching http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.ini.sig
Fetching URL: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.ini
2017/05/15 11:17:13 HTTP status 403 fetching http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.ini
2017/05/15 11:17:13 mbox note: Unable to get setup from <http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/>
INSTALLED.DB version 3
2017/05/15 11:17:19 Ending cygwin install

$ cat setup.log.full-proxy
2017/05/15 11:11:17 Starting cygwin install, version 2.878-3-gf41e2e
2017/05/15 11:11:17 User has NO backup/restore rights
2017/05/15 11:11:17 Current Directory: E:\cygwin64-mirror\ftwin\mirrors.kernel.org\sourceware\cygwin
2017/05/15 11:11:17 Could not open Service control manager
2017/05/15 11:11:23 source: network install
2017/05/15 11:11:25 root: E:\cygwin64-3 user
2017/05/15 11:11:26 Selected local directory: E:\cygwin64-mirror\ftwin\mirrors.kernel.org\sourceware\cygwin
2017/05/15 11:11:41 net: Proxy
Cached mirror list unavailable
Fetching URL: http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst
Defaulting to empty mirror list
2017/05/15 11:13:38 net: Proxy
2017/05/15 11:13:39 site: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/
Fetching URL: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.xz.sig
Fetching URL: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.xz
Fetching URL: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.bz2.sig
Fetching URL: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.bz2
Fetching URL: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.ini.sig
Fetching URL: http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.ini
2017/05/15 11:13:39 mbox note: Unable to get setup from <http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/>
INSTALLED.DB version 3
2017/05/15 11:13:44 Ending cygwin install

12