setup 2.894 release candidate - please test

setup 2.894 release candidate - please test

Jon TURNEY

A new setup release candidate is available at:

   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86.exe    (32 bit version)

Please test and report any problems here.

Changes compared to 2.893:

- Drag setup into the 1990s, by replacing the custom-drawn package
chooser with a ListView common control.

-- Use standard UI elements to choose an action to take on a package or
category, rather than the weird UX of clicking to cycle around a list of
options of undisclosed length.

-- Behaviour change: previously, a category action only affected
packages which matched any name search filter applied.  Now all packages
contained by the category are affected.

-- Category view now shows a count of packages in a category

-- Add long description as a tooltip for description

- Add support for ZStandard compression for packages and .ini files

- Fix a new warning reported by gcc 8

- Avoid a potential crash when checking for cached packages
   Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-10/msg00033.html

- Use pkgconfig for build prerequisite checking

- Fix log spam when package vendor is something other than "cygwin"

- Various cleanups

Thanks to Ken Brown and Achim Gratz.

Re: setup 2.894 release candidate - please test

marco atzeri-4
Am 13.10.2018 um 20:49 schrieb Jon Turney:

> A new setup release candidate is available at:
>
>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86.exe    (32 bit version)
>
> Please test and report any problems here.

very nice.

May I have a hippo for Jon ?

---

Re: setup 2.894 release candidate - please test

Thomas Wolff
Am 13.10.2018 um 20:49 schrieb Jon Turney:

> A new setup release candidate is available at:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86.exe    (32 bit version)
>
> Please test and report any problems here.
There's one small but occasionally bothersome long-standing issue; may I
ask for enhancement on this occasion:
If I click through the dialog quickly by consecutive Enter and hit one
Enter too many, setup will be on one of the two download pages before I
notice and will abort because initially only the "Cancel" button is
activated as interactive default button. This could easily be prevented
by not ever making "Cancel" the default, even when it is the only
enabled button.
Thanks for considering
Thomas

Jon Turney writes:
> A new setup release candidate is available at:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86.exe    (32 bit version)
>
> Please test and report any problems here.

I've built both versions myself and everything is working smoothly.  Thanks!

One slight issue is with the UI: the selection box for the version is
hiding part of the version string even when the window is wide enough to
accomodate it fully while the column to the left is larger than it would
need to be.  I have no idea how difficult that'd be to fix.

Marco Atzeri writes:
> May I have a hippo for Jon ?

+1

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

On Oct 13 19:49, Jon Turney wrote:

> A new setup release candidate is available at:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86.exe    (32 bit version)
>
> Please test and report any problems here.
>
> Changes compared to 2.893:
>
> - Drag setup into the 1990s, by replacing the custom-drawn package chooser
> with a ListView common control.
>
> -- Use standard UI elements to choose an action to take on a package or
> category, rather than the weird UX of clicking to cycle around a list of
> options of undisclosed length.
That's what I like about the 90's, it looks really awesome.

The pulldown menu to change the version needs some getting used to, but
it's worthwhile.  I just have a style nit:

The (by default) rightmost field, "Size", is so much to the right that
the rightmost characters collide with the Window frame.  Looks like only
the "Size" field is affected by way of being right-justified.  Would
it perhaps make sense to append just a single space at the end of the
field (including the header) so the spacing looks more relaxed?

Thanks a lot for this change.  I'm pretty sure especially visually
impaired users will be most happy with this change.

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

On Oct 14 13:29, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Marco Atzeri writes:
> > May I have a hippo for Jon ?
>
> +1

+1

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

Re: setup 2.894 release candidate - please test

Mark Geisert
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 14 13:29, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Marco Atzeri writes:
>>> May I have a hippo for Jon ?
>>
>> +1
>
> +1

+1
Looks and works great in my limited testing.

..mark

Re: setup 2.894 release candidate - please test

Am 13.10.2018 um 20:49 schrieb Jon Turney:

> A new setup release candidate is available at:
>
>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86.exe    (32 bit version)
>
> Please test and report any problems here.

Noted an inconsistency in the action drop menu.
It proposes the available test version also when the test box is not
checked.

Just noted on binutils 2.31.1-1

I think it should not report it, or highlight the "test" status

---

On Oct 14 19:26, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Oct 13 19:49, Jon Turney wrote:
> >
> > A new setup release candidate is available at:
> >
> >   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
> >   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86.exe    (32 bit version)
> >
> > Please test and report any problems here.
> >
> > Changes compared to 2.893:
> >
> > - Drag setup into the 1990s, by replacing the custom-drawn package chooser
> > with a ListView common control.
> >
> > -- Use standard UI elements to choose an action to take on a package or
> > category, rather than the weird UX of clicking to cycle around a list of
> > options of undisclosed length.
>
> That's what I like about the 90's, it looks really awesome.
>
> The pulldown menu to change the version needs some getting used to, but
> it's worthwhile.  I just have a style nit:
>
> The (by default) rightmost field, "Size", is so much to the right that
> the rightmost characters collide with the Window frame.  [bla]
Utter nonsense.  I must have looked cross-eyed or something.  "Size"
isn't the rightmost field, and in the default "Pending" view with
*my* default dialog size, the "Size" field is just a tiny tick too
far to the right.  Pure coincidence, nothing to worry about.

Sorry,

On 15/10/2018 21:35, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Am 13.10.2018 um 20:49 schrieb Jon Turney:
>>
>> A new setup release candidate is available at:
>>
>>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
>>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86.exe    (32 bit version)
>>
>> Please test and report any problems here.
>>

> Noted an inconsistency in the action drop menu.
> It proposes the available test version also when the test box is not
> checked.
>
> Just noted on binutils 2.31.1-1
>
> I think it should not report it, or highlight the "test" status

Test versions are always selectable in the package chooser at the moment.

I've added an indication that it's a test version, as that seems like a
very good idea, though.

On 14/10/2018 12:20, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Jon Turney writes:
>> A new setup release candidate is available at:
>>
>>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86_64.exe (64 bit version)
>>    https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.894.x86.exe    (32 bit version)
>>
>> Please test and report any problems here.
>
> I've built both versions myself and everything is working smoothly.  Thanks!
>
> One slight issue is with the UI: the selection box for the version is
> hiding part of the version string even when the window is wide enough to
> accommodate it fully while the column to the left is larger than it would
> need to be.  I have no idea how difficult that'd be to fix.

I've adjusted the sizing of the 'new' column so it allows for the width
of the drop-down button as well as the version.

Am 15.10.2018 um 09:12 schrieb Mark Geisert:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>
>>> +1
>>
>> +1
>
> +1
> Looks and works great in my limited testing.
>
> ..mark

Andrew,
May I have the Hippo for Jon ?

---

Re: setup 2.894 release candidate - please test

Andrew Schulman

Awarded! http://cygwin.com/goldstars/#JTy