Quantcast

setup 2.878 only processes one site

David Rothenberger
When I use the new Direct Connection option in setup 2.878, it appears
that setup only downloads the setup.xz file from one of the three sites
I have selected.

Switching back to the Direct Connection (Legacy) option fixes the problem.

--
David Rothenberger  ----  [hidden email]

How apt the poor are to be proud.
                 -- William Shakespeare, "Twelfth-Night"

Re: setup 2.878 only processes one site

Jon TURNEY
On 17/05/17 00:14, David Rothenberger wrote:
> When I use the new Direct Connection option in setup 2.878, it appears
> that setup only downloads the setup.xz file from one of the three sites
> I have selected.

Interesting.  I don't see anything in the changes since 2.877 that would
have caused this.  Can you show a setup.log.full?

Something which might give this impression is that setup will now cache
setup.xz, and only download it if it has changed.

I had no idea anyone actually used this feature of setup.  I'm somewhat
sceptical it's making things faster or more reliable, rather than just
downloading the same file 3 times... :)

Jon Turney wrote:
> On 17/05/17 00:14, David Rothenberger wrote:
>> When I use the new Direct Connection option in setup 2.878, it appears
>> that setup only downloads the setup.xz file from one of the three sites
>> I have selected.
>
> Interesting.  I don't see anything in the changes since 2.877 that would
> have caused this.  Can you show a setup.log.full?

Attached, although I didn't see any difference in the log between using
the new Direct Connection option and the old one.

> Something which might give this impression is that setup will now cache
> setup.xz, and only download it if it has changed.
>
> I had no idea anyone actually used this feature of setup.  I'm somewhat
> sceptical it's making things faster or more reliable, rather than just
> downloading the same file 3 times... :)

I think you nailed it. I tried again this morning and the first time I
ran setup, it did contact our local site, but it did not on subsequent
runs (even to see if the file has changed). I then modified our web
server to add a "Cache-Control: no-cache" header and cleared the Windows
cache. After that, setup retrieved the setup.xz file from our server on
every run.

For background, we host our own partial repository of locally built
packages, so the setup.xz our server provides is not complete. It would
be incorrect for setup to assume that the setup.xz downloaded from one
site is identical to the ones available from the other selected sites.

--
David Rothenberger  ----  [hidden email]

Unfair animal names:

-- tsetse fly                   -- bullhead
-- booby                        -- duck-billed platypus
-- sapsucker                    -- Clarence
                 -- Gary Larson

setup.log.full (3K) Download Attachment

On 17/05/2017 18:06, David Rothenberger wrote:

> Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 17/05/17 00:14, David Rothenberger wrote:
>>> When I use the new Direct Connection option in setup 2.878, it appears
>>> that setup only downloads the setup.xz file from one of the three sites
>>> I have selected.
>>
>> Interesting.  I don't see anything in the changes since 2.877 that
>> would have caused this.  Can you show a setup.log.full?
>
> Attached, although I didn't see any difference in the log between using
> the new Direct Connection option and the old one.

Thanks.

Yes, we could do a better job of logging that a fetch was satisfied from
the cache, but I hope that the fact that the setup.xz URLs are logged as
fetched and used means if that they weren't actually fetched, they came
from a cache.

>> Something which might give this impression is that setup will now
>> cache setup.xz, and only download it if it has changed.
>>
>> I had no idea anyone actually used this feature of setup.  I'm
>> somewhat sceptical it's making things faster or more reliable, rather
>> than just downloading the same file 3 times... :)
>
> I think you nailed it. I tried again this morning and the first time I
> ran setup, it did contact our local site, but it did not on subsequent
> runs (even to see if the file has changed). I then modified our web

This would be very bad, if true.  Are you sure that we aren't contacting
the server at all? (such requests might not be logged in some
configurations)

> server to add a "Cache-Control: no-cache" header and cleared the Windows
> cache. After that, setup retrieved the setup.xz file from our server on
> every run.
>
> For background, we host our own partial repository of locally built
> packages, so the setup.xz our server provides is not complete. It would
> be incorrect for setup to assume that the setup.xz downloaded from one
> site is identical to the ones available from the other selected sites.

Ignore what I wrote there.  Somehow "site" became "mirror" in my mind.
Of course, using multiple package repositories should work as you expect.

Jon Turney wrote:

> On 17/05/2017 18:06, David Rothenberger wrote:
>> Jon Turney wrote:
>>>
>>> Something which might give this impression is that setup will now
>>> cache setup.xz, and only download it if it has changed.
>>
>> I think you nailed it. I tried again this morning and the first time I
>> ran setup, it did contact our local site, but it did not on subsequent
>> runs (even to see if the file has changed). I then modified our web
>
> This would be very bad, if true.  Are you sure that we aren't contacting
> the server at all? (such requests might not be logged in some
> configurations)

Yes, I'm sure. I verified our web server logs requests with the
If-Modified-Since header. Also, I used wireshark to confirm there was no
request at all to our web server.

--
David Rothenberger  ----  [hidden email]

Dirksen's Three Laws of Politics:
         (1) Get elected.
         (2) Get re-elected.
         (3) Don't get mad, get even.
                 -- Sen. Everett Dirksen

On 17/05/2017 21:45, David Rothenberger wrote:

> Jon Turney wrote:

>>> I think you nailed it. I tried again this morning and the first time I
>>> ran setup, it did contact our local site, but it did not on subsequent
>>> runs (even to see if the file has changed). I then modified our web
>>
>> This would be very bad, if true.  Are you sure that we aren't
>> contacting the server at all? (such requests might not be logged in
>> some configurations)
>
> Yes, I'm sure. I verified our web server logs requests with the
> If-Modified-Since header. Also, I used wireshark to confirm there was no
> request at all to our web server.

Hmm... In my testing I saw requests with If-Modified-Since: and
If-None-Match: headers being sent and a 304 Not Modified response being
sent.

I added INTERNET_FLAG_RESYNCHRONIZE, which looks like it might be needed
to do the right thing if the server doesn't send an ETag header, and
made another build.

https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878-4-g582a35.x86.exe
https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878-4-g582a35.x86_64.exe

Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things?

Jon Turney wrote:

> On 17/05/2017 21:45, David Rothenberger wrote:
>> Jon Turney wrote:

>>> This would be very bad, if true.  Are you sure that we aren't
>>> contacting the server at all? (such requests might not be logged in
>>> some configurations)
>>
>> Yes, I'm sure. I verified our web server logs requests with the
>> If-Modified-Since header. Also, I used wireshark to confirm there was no
>> request at all to our web server.
>
> Hmm... In my testing I saw requests with If-Modified-Since: and
> If-None-Match: headers being sent and a 304 Not Modified response being
> sent.
>
> I added INTERNET_FLAG_RESYNCHRONIZE, which looks like it might be needed
> to do the right thing if the server doesn't send an ETag header, and
> made another build.

My server does send the ETag header. I'm using Apache 2.4.

> https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878-4-g582a35.x86.exe
> https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878-4-g582a35.x86_64.exe
>
> Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things?

The problem is indeed fixed with these builds. Thanks!

--
David Rothenberger  ----  [hidden email]

Justice, n.:
         A decision in your favor.

On 18/05/2017 18:04, David Rothenberger wrote:

> Jon Turney wrote:

>>> Yes, I'm sure. I verified our web server logs requests with the
>>> If-Modified-Since header. Also, I used wireshark to confirm there was no
>>> request at all to our web server.
>>
>> Hmm... In my testing I saw requests with If-Modified-Since: and
>> If-None-Match: headers being sent and a 304 Not Modified response
>> being sent.
>>
>> I added INTERNET_FLAG_RESYNCHRONIZE, which looks like it might be
>> needed to do the right thing if the server doesn't send an ETag
>> header, and made another build.
>
> My server does send the ETag header. I'm using Apache 2.4.

Well, I still don't know what's going on, then. :)

fwiw, I did some testing with an apache configured with 'FileETag None'
and saw the the behaviour you described (doesn't even contact the
server), so this flag is definitely needed.

>> https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878-4-g582a35.x86.exe
>> https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878-4-g582a35.x86_64.exe
>>
>> Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things?
>
> The problem is indeed fixed with these builds. Thanks!

Great.  Thanks for testing.  I'll do a 2.879 with those changes.

And thank you for drawing attention to this problem.  I looks like it's
probably existed since forever in ""Use Internet Explorer Proxy
Settings" mode.