regex man-page confusion

Thomas Wolff
(Sending this to cygwin-apps as I suspect it to be an installation or
packaging issue...)

I observe a confusing discrepancy between Cygwin installations on two
systems, all with cygwin 2.11.1:
On one system (both cygwin32 and cygwin64), /usr/share/man has
man3/regex.3.gz and man3p/regcomp.3p,
both pages describe functions regcomp, regexec, regerror and regfree,
but in different format (from man3, it says BSD manual).
On the other system, none of them exists, nor any other
/usr/share/man/*/reg* (MANPATH not set). But `man regcomp` nonetheless
displays a manpage, with those 4 functions and additionally wcs_regcomp
and wcs_regexec.
Can anyone resolve this weirdness?
Thanks, Thomas

Re: regex man-page confusion

marco atzeri-4
Am 16.09.2018 um 19:59 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
> (Sending this to cygwin-apps as I suspect it to be an installation or
> packaging issue...)

> I observe a confusing discrepancy between Cygwin installations on two
> systems, all with cygwin 2.11.1:
> On one system (both cygwin32 and cygwin64), /usr/share/man has
> man3/regex.3.gz and man3p/regcomp.3p,
> both pages describe functions regcomp, regexec, regerror and regfree,
> but in different format (from man3, it says BSD manual).
> On the other system, none of them exists, nor any other
> /usr/share/man/*/reg* (MANPATH not set). But `man regcomp` nonetheless
> displays a manpage, with those 4 functions and additionally wcs_regcomp
> and wcs_regexec.
> Can anyone resolve this weirdness?
> Thanks, Thomas

regex.3.gz belongs to cygwin-doc package

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fcygwin-doc%2Fcygwin-doc-2.11.1-1&grep=regex.3.gz

regcomp.3p belongs man-pages-posix

https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fman-pages-posix%2Fman-pages-posix-2013-a-1&grep=regcomp.3p

I assume one system has both packages and the other not.

As I have not the second installed, for me

$ man regcomp
No manual entry for regcomp

---

Re: regex man-page confusion

Thomas Wolff
Am 16.09.2018 um 20:13 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

> Am 16.09.2018 um 19:59 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
>> (Sending this to cygwin-apps as I suspect it to be an installation or
>> packaging issue...)
>
>> I observe a confusing discrepancy between Cygwin installations on two
>> systems, all with cygwin 2.11.1:
>> On one system (both cygwin32 and cygwin64), /usr/share/man has
>> man3/regex.3.gz and man3p/regcomp.3p,
>> both pages describe functions regcomp, regexec, regerror and regfree,
>> but in different format (from man3, it says BSD manual).
>> On the other system, none of them exists, nor any other
>> /usr/share/man/*/reg* (MANPATH not set). But `man regcomp` nonetheless
>> displays a manpage, with those 4 functions and additionally wcs_regcomp
>> and wcs_regexec.
>> Can anyone resolve this weirdness?
>> Thanks, Thomas
>
> regex.3.gz belongs to cygwin-doc package
>
> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fcygwin-doc%2Fcygwin-doc-2.11.1-1&grep=regex.3.gz
>

> regcomp.3p belongs man-pages-posix
>
> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fman-pages-posix%2Fman-pages-posix-2013-a-1&grep=regcomp.3p
>

> I assume one system has both packages and the other not.
>
> As I have not the second installed, for me
>
> $ man regcomp
> No manual entry for regcomp
>
> Regards
> Marco
Thanks; on the system with both packages not installed, man -w regcomp
says nothing (rather than "No manual entry...");
`manpath` reveals /usr/share/man:/cygdrive/c/Windows/SUA/usr/share/man
and in fact, the man page displayed comes from my SUA installation. But
$MANPATH is empty, so what makes cygwin `man` access the SUA man pages???

---

Re: regex man-page confusion

cyg Simple
On 9/16/2018 5:52 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Thanks; on the system with both packages not installed, man -w regcomp
> says nothing (rather than "No manual entry...");
> `manpath` reveals /usr/share/man:/cygdrive/c/Windows/SUA/usr/share/man
> and in fact, the man page displayed comes from my SUA installation. But
> $MANPATH is empty, so what makes cygwin `man` access the SUA man pages???

As per [1] you need to check your /etc/man_db.conf file.

[1] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/manpath.5.html

cyg Simple

Re: regex man-page confusion

Thomas Wolff
Am 17.09.2018 um 14:49 schrieb cyg Simple:
> On 9/16/2018 5:52 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Thanks; on the system with both packages not installed, man -w regcomp
>> says nothing (rather than "No manual entry...");
>> `manpath` reveals /usr/share/man:/cygdrive/c/Windows/SUA/usr/share/man
>> and in fact, the man page displayed comes from my SUA installation. But
>> $MANPATH is empty, so what makes cygwin `man` access the SUA man pages???
>>
> As per [1] you need to check your /etc/man_db.conf file.
I hadn't mentioned that but I had checked it, grep -i sua only found
"usually".

Found the culprit meanwhile: /cygdrive/c/Windows/SUA/usr/lib was in my
PATH. If I remove it, the SUA man page is not displayed anymore.
So the more specific question: What makes cygwin 'man' check the PATH
(not the LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to find which library and - still - why does
that lead it to SUA man pages???

---

Re: regex man-page confusion

cyg Simple
On 9/19/2018 3:12 AM, Thomas Wolff wrote:

> Am 17.09.2018 um 14:49 schrieb cyg Simple:
>> On 9/16/2018 5:52 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>> Thanks; on the system with both packages not installed, man -w regcomp
>>> says nothing (rather than "No manual entry...");
>>> `manpath` reveals /usr/share/man:/cygdrive/c/Windows/SUA/usr/share/man
>>> and in fact, the man page displayed comes from my SUA installation. But
>>> $MANPATH is empty, so what makes cygwin `man` access the SUA man
>>> pages???
>>>
>> As per [1] you need to check your /etc/man_db.conf file.
> I hadn't mentioned that but I had checked it, grep -i sua only found
> "usually".
>
> Found the culprit meanwhile: /cygdrive/c/Windows/SUA/usr/lib was in my
> PATH. If I remove it, the SUA man page is not displayed anymore.
> So the more specific question: What makes cygwin 'man' check the PATH
> (not the LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to find which library and - still - why does
> that lead it to SUA man pages???

Maybe in the mandb?  Or maybe  a ~/.manpath file?  Or maybe an alias
with -M, --manpath specified?  Or a SYSTEM environment variable
specified? It's complex and something cached the discovered manuals on
PATH.  Maybe use of -W and -w can help you determine.

--
cyg Simple