redefinition of __fpending

Denis Excoffier-4
Hello,

I don't really know what is going on, but the new (since 1.7.23) __fpending() declaration
in /usr/include/stdio_def.h (line 47) seems to prevent the following to compile (redefinition
of __fpending, i'm using GCC-4.8.1):
- m4-1.4.16
- grep-2.14
- findutils-4.5.11

These packages use fpending.c from gnulib.

Regards,

Denis Excoffier.

Re: redefinition of __fpending

D.Bailey
Had a similar problem with fpending redefine while trying to compile gnu bison.

May be a problem with the 1.7.23-1 release of cygwin, because when I install 1.7.22-1 everything compiles without error.

On Aug 11 09:20, Denis Excoffier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't really know what is going on, but the new (since 1.7.23) __fpending() declaration
> in /usr/include/stdio_def.h (line 47) seems to prevent the following to compile (redefinition
> of __fpending, i'm using GCC-4.8.1):
> - m4-1.4.16
> - grep-2.14
> - findutils-4.5.11
>
> These packages use fpending.c from gnulib.
Big sigh.

The gnulib-related configure test checks for the declaration of
__fpending, but the build environment still tries to compile gnulib's
fpending.c.  But __fpending is defined as inline function in stdio_ext.h
so the definition in fpending.c clashes with the one in stdio_ext.h.

That's a bug in the gnulib build environment.  The definition of
__fpending should be skipped if HAVE_DECL___FPENDING is 1.

The problem is that this doesn't really help us a lot since all
packages with integrated gnulib are affected.

I'm not sure how to fix this yet.

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

LRN

Re: redefinition of __fpending

LRN

Re: redefinition of __fpending

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Aug 12 15:26, LRN wrote:

> On 12.08.2013 14:05, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Aug 11 09:20, Denis Excoffier wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I don't really know what is going on, but the new (since 1.7.23) __fpending() declaration
> >> in /usr/include/stdio_def.h (line 47) seems to prevent the following to compile (redefinition
> >> of __fpending, i'm using GCC-4.8.1):
> >> - m4-1.4.16
> >> - grep-2.14
> >> - findutils-4.5.11
> >>
> >> These packages use fpending.c from gnulib.
> >
> > Big sigh.
> >
> > The gnulib-related configure test checks for the declaration of
> > __fpending, but the build environment still tries to compile gnulib's
> > fpending.c.  But __fpending is defined as inline function in stdio_ext.h
> > so the definition in fpending.c clashes with the one in stdio_ext.h.
> >
> > That's a bug in the gnulib build environment.  The definition of
> > __fpending should be skipped if HAVE_DECL___FPENDING is 1.
> >
> > The problem is that this doesn't really help us a lot since all
> > packages with integrated gnulib are affected.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to fix this yet.
> This is fixed in upstream gnulib.
Oh, good to know.

> Obviously, that doesn't really help you much - you still need to either
> patch packages, or update their copies of gnulib.

That's right.  In theory, patching this tiny problem in the packages
shouldn't be too terrible for the time being.  I hope...

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com