"No absolute path for shell:" error

Douglas Spearot

I am new to Cygwin/X, so I apologize if this question is stupid.  I can't
seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I am trying to run an application using Cygwin/X.  Testing that my X-server
is running properly using 'xterm' seems to work fine.  However, when I run
my application (called 'A' here):

$ A test.txt

I get an error:

No absolute path found for shell: A

Flipping through the mailing list archives, I found another post that asked
a similar question.  The suggested fix was to update to patch 203.
Following that post, I typed xterm -v to find out what patch I was using:

$ xterm -v
Cygwin 6.8.2.0(202)

I'll assume that this means that I am using patch 202.  I re-installed the
code using the setup.exe program making sure that I included "xorg-x11-xwin:
Cygwin/XX server" version 6.8.2.0-4.  I still got the same error "absolute
path" error.  xterm -v indicated that I was still using patch 202.  Finally,
I tried re-running the setup.exe program using the 'Exp' button to download
the latest version of everything.  xterm -v still indicated that I was using
patch 202 and I still got the same "absolute path" error as above.

Am I not downloading the latest patch correctly or am I not setting up my
X-server correctly?

Thank you for your help.

-Doug Spearot

Re: "No absolute path for shell:" error

Thomas Dickey-2
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Douglas Spearot wrote:

> Following that post, I typed xterm -v to find out what patch I was using:
>
> $ xterm -v
> Cygwin 6.8.2.0(202)
>
> I'll assume that this means that I am using patch 202.  I re-installed the

yes (the other text is whatever the imake configuration claimed at the
time of building).

> Am I not downloading the latest patch correctly or am I not setting up my
> X-server correctly?

I suspect no one's updated the package.  The current patch level is 207.
It's simple to compile if you have the X development installed.  Source
is here:

  http://invisible-island.net/xterm/
  ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

Re: "No absolute path for shell:" error

Douglas Spearot

Thank you for the response Thomas.

I downloaded the source from the website that you listed below.  When I try
to run the 'configure' file that you created to build XTERM, I get a number
of error messages (all of which say the same thing):

"The procedure entry point getline could not be located in the dynamic link
library cygwin1.dll"

Then I get in the xterm window:

$ configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
configuring for cygwin
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no accpetbale cc found in $PATH

Am I missing a component of X development?

-Doug Spearot

Re: "No absolute path for shell:" error

Thomas Dickey-2
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Douglas Spearot wrote:

> Thank you for the response Thomas.
>
> I downloaded the source from the website that you listed below.  When I try
> to run the 'configure' file that you created to build XTERM, I get a number
> of error messages (all of which say the same thing):
>
> "The procedure entry point getline could not be located in the dynamic link
> library cygwin1.dll"
>
> Then I get in the xterm window:
>
> $ configure
> checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
> checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
> configuring for cygwin
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl... no
> configure: error: no accpetbale cc found in $PATH
>
> Am I missing a component of X development?

something - but I don't know what.  The config.log file would have
whatever error messages are actually available.  It sounds as if you
don't have gcc installed (though also I noted the last time I installed
cygwin that the base install lacks development libraries).  This is
probably something you can ask about on the regular cygwin mailing list.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

Re: "No absolute path for shell:" error

Larry Hall (Cygwin X)
On 11/30/2005, Douglas Spearot wrote:
> Thank you for the response Thomas. I downloaded the source from the website
> that you listed below. When I try to run the 'configure' file that you
> created to build XTERM, I get a number of error messages (all of which say
> the same thing): "The procedure entry point getline could not be located in
> the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll"

Make sure you have one and only one cygwin1.dll on your system.  If you do,
make sure you've rebooted after the last install you did (from setup.exe).
This is a classic message that occurs when you're running apps that expect
a more current cygwin1.dll than can be found/loaded into memory.

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office