python update status

cygwin-apps mailing list
Hi All,

I am working on the next round of python pakages update.

As mentioned before, I will appreciate feedback on the usage
of alternatives for the main python27,36,37 and 38 that are
currently in test.

To help in package testing and cover some missing dependecies,
I am adding the following packages:

python-cycler
python-dateutil
python-distlib
python-filelock
python-hypothesis
python-importlib-metadata
python-jsonschema
python-jupyter_core
python-kiwisolver
python-matplotlib
python-nbformat
python-pluggy
python-py
python-pytest
python-sortedcontainers
python-toml
python-tox

I took over additional other packages from Yaakov and the remaining ones
are below reported.
If you need anyone of them to be updated, let me know while I work
on the python38-xxxxxx update priority:

python-backports.shutil_get_terminal_size
python-backports.ssl_match_hostname
python-beautifulsoup         Obsolete => bs4
python-boto                  Obsolete => boto3
python-bsddb3
python-bugzilla
python-certifi
python-chm                   Obsolete ?
python-clang
python-cloudfiles            Obsolete ?
python-commonmark
python-dbus
python-dropbox
python-enchant
python-enum34
python-faulthandler
python-feedparser
python-futures
python-gobject
python-goocanvas
python-gtk2.0
python-gtksourceview2
python-htmltmpl
python-httplib2
python-ipaddr
python-ipaddress
python-isodate
python-jmespath
python-libvirt
python-mako
python-musicbrainzngs
python-mutagen
python-mx
python-ntlm-auth
python-odf
python-opengl
python-opengl-accelerate
python-orbit
python-passlib
python-pathlib2
python-pbr
python-pyatspi
python-pygame
python-pykde4              Obsolete
python-pylast
python-pynotify
python-pypdf
python-pypsrp
python-pyqt4               Obsolete
python-pyqt5
python-pyqt5-qt3d
python-pyqt5-qtchart
python-pyqt5-qtdatavisualization
python-pyrex
python-rdflib
python-recommonmark
python-reportlab
python-requests_ntlm
python-rsa
python-scandir
python-simplejson
python-straight.plugin
python-typing
python-unidecode
python-webkit
python-winrm
python-xdg
python-xmltodict
python-yaml

Re: python update status

cygwin-apps mailing list
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 21:13, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am working on the next round of python pakages update.
>
> My highest priority update for Cygwin Python is for Python 3.9, followed
by a test version of Python 3.10 when the RC release appears.

I am writing all my code for Python 3.9 so without a Cygwin Python 3.9, I
have lost the ability to test my apps with Cygwin. I write a lot of console
apps, some Flask sites and a few Tkinter apps.

I have the Python 3.10 alpha release installed on Win10 to check for
breaking changes. I have PYTHINDEVMODE permanently set in my environment,
as the overhead is not noticeable.

I have absolutely no desire to run Python 2 code.

I use "python -m pip ..." to install third party extensions, both pure
Python and those requiring compilation. When this fails, I notify the
maintainer or offer a fix to help improve the package's portability.

I don't find the Cygwin packages built from pure Python packages to be of
much value, unless they track the latest upstream updates very closely. As
a result, I find that I end up with a lot of incomplete Cygwin Python
packages where I have updated the package using pip. I'm retired now, but I
always asked for local admin or sudo for the 20 odd years when I was a
contractor.

Doug

Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com

Re: python update status

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 11.01.2021 16:04, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 21:13, Marco Atzeri via  wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am working on the next round of python pakages update.
>>
> My highest priority update for Cygwin Python is for Python 3.9, followed
> by a test version of Python 3.10 when the RC release appears.
>
> I am writing all my code for Python 3.9 so without a Cygwin Python 3.9, I
> have lost the ability to test my apps with Cygwin. I write a lot of console
> apps, some Flask sites and a few Tkinter apps.

Hi Doug,

3.9 can be added

> I have the Python 3.10 alpha release installed on Win10 to check for
> breaking changes. I have PYTHINDEVMODE permanently set in my environment,
> as the overhead is not noticeable.
>
> I have absolutely no desire to run Python 2 code.

neither I, but we have a lot of code still around that need
to be moved to 3.X

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2021-January/040897.html
and it is not the only one.

Only recently I succeded to build postgresql with Python 3.x
but the solution I found is very puzzling

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2021-January/247211.html

As seems you have more experiance than me with Python,
can you look on it ?

All the ARCH packages seem affected. I am more or less patching
all the ARCH source packages to overcome the problem but it seems
to me more a workaround than a real understanding of why

    __declspec(dllexport)

is not working as expected for Python modules.