problem with paste-from-clipboard

Ladislav DANKO
Hi folks,

I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc file I have just this line:
"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from another (say, GUI) place I copy
some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.

I tried run `sed -n l` to check that my Insert key gives right keystroke:
$> sed -n l
\033[2~$
So it looks like keystroke is mapped good.

I included another line in ~/.inputrc just to verify, that  ~/.inputrc is sourced:
"\e[3~": end-of-line
and now when I hit Delete key, cursor is moved at the end of line. So looks like ~/.inputrc is
sourced and works.

But I can't include from clipboard.

In terminal definition I have checked Quick edit mode and Insert mode.

Does someone know what I'm doing wrong?

My system: Win7 64 Professional, English.

Ladislav

Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard

Steven Penny
On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:50:26, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
> I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc file I
> have just this line: "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

You have left out a critical piece of information here, you have not mentioned
*what* you are trying to paste. Note that current readline is broken when using
code page 65001:

Current maintainer Eric Blake is refusing to rollback, and refusing to fix the
problem, instead pushing the responsibility of patching this on the user base:

Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard

Ladislav DANKO
So downgrade my libreadline to previous version?

I have 7.0.1-2, cygwin install is trying to push me to 7.0.3-3 version. On my another
station (older cygwin instalattion) I has 6.3.8-1 version and here it works good.

On 13.05.2017 00:37, Steven Penny wrote:

> On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:50:26, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
>> I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc file I
>> have just this line: "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
>
> You have left out a critical piece of information here, you have not mentioned
> *what* you are trying to paste. Note that current readline is broken when using
> code page 65001:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00176.html
>
> Current maintainer Eric Blake is refusing to rollback, and refusing to fix the
> problem, instead pushing the responsibility of patching this on the user base:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00161.html
>

> --
> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard

Eric Blake (cygwin)-2
On 05/12/2017 05:37 PM, Steven Penny wrote:

> On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:50:26, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
>> I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc
>> file I
>> have just this line: "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
>
> You have left out a critical piece of information here, you have not
> mentioned
> *what* you are trying to paste. Note that current readline is broken
> when using
> code page 65001:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00176.html
>
> Current maintainer Eric Blake is refusing to rollback, and refusing to
> fix the
> problem, instead pushing the responsibility of patching this on the user
> base:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00161.html
You're making it sound like I'm actively trying to hurt you. Rather,
it's a case where it is a problem that doesn't affect me personally, and
I have limited enough spare time as it is, so I haven't yet tried to
reproduce things to see if I can isolate what behavior changed.

I would love help solving the issue.  Absent that help, you'll just have
to wait for me to have time.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266

On Sat, 13 May 2017 15:11:00, Eric Blake wrote:
> You're making it sound like I'm actively trying to hurt you. Rather,
> it's a case where it is a problem that doesn't affect me personally, and
> I have limited enough spare time as it is, so I haven't yet tried to
> reproduce things to see if I can isolate what behavior changed.
>
> I would love help solving the issue.  Absent that help, you'll just have
> to wait for me to have time.

But I have helped - in the very post of mine you just quoted, I put this link:

that post of mine contains not only the commit in question, but even potentially
the file in question and even possibly the section of the file in question. You
never even responded to that post.

On 05/15/2017 12:09 PM, Steven Penny wrote:

> On Sat, 13 May 2017 15:11:00, Eric Blake wrote:
>> You're making it sound like I'm actively trying to hurt you. Rather,
>> it's a case where it is a problem that doesn't affect me personally, and
>> I have limited enough spare time as it is, so I haven't yet tried to
>> reproduce things to see if I can isolate what behavior changed.
>>
>> I would love help solving the issue.  Absent that help, you'll just have
>> to wait for me to have time.
>
> But I have helped - in the very post of mine you just quoted, I put this
> link:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00176.html
>
> that post of mine contains not only the commit in question, but even
> potentially
> the file in question and even possibly the section of the file in
> question. You
> never even responded to that post.
Probably because I did not even see the post at the time. (While I try
to keep up with Cygwin email, I also get hundreds of other mails per
day, and when Cygwin is limited to my free time, sometimes things slip
through the cracks).  In life, and therefore in open source, it is often
that the squeaky wheel gets the grease; if something isn't getting the
attention you think it deserves, it is not bad to ping the thread to
bring it back to the forefront.

Thanks for the ping. I've now replied to that thread to ask upstream
bash for help in deciphering if Chet, who wrote the code, might be aware
of why it is breaking things.

That said, I still hope to get a closer look at it myself when I have a
nice chunk of time; but the trick is still getting that nice chunk of time.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org

Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard

Ladislav DANKO
So what is actual solution, downgrade? To which version?

On 15.05.2017 20:21, Eric Blake wrote:

> On 05/15/2017 12:09 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 May 2017 15:11:00, Eric Blake wrote:
>>> You're making it sound like I'm actively trying to hurt you. Rather, it's a case where it is a problem that doesn't affect me personally, and I have
>>> limited enough spare time as it is, so I haven't yet tried to reproduce things to see if I can isolate what behavior changed.
>>>
>>> I would love help solving the issue.  Absent that help, you'll just have to wait for me to have time.
>>
>> But I have helped - in the very post of mine you just quoted, I put this link:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00176.html
>>
>> that post of mine contains not only the commit in question, but even potentially the file in question and even possibly the section of the file in
>> question. You never even responded to that post.
>
> Probably because I did not even see the post at the time. (While I try to keep up with Cygwin email, I also get hundreds of other mails per day, and when
> Cygwin is limited to my free time, sometimes things slip through the cracks).  In life, and therefore in open source, it is often that the squeaky wheel
> gets the grease; if something isn't getting the attention you think it deserves, it is not bad to ping the thread to bring it back to the forefront.
>
> Thanks for the ping. I've now replied to that thread to ask upstream bash for help in deciphering if Chet, who wrote the code, might be aware of why it is
> breaking things.
>
> That said, I still hope to get a closer look at it myself when I have a nice chunk of time; but the trick is still getting that nice chunk of time.

Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard

Ladislav DANKO
is there any update on this please?

On 09/01/2017 09:03 AM, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
> is there any update on this please?

Top-posting,...

> On 15.05.2017 20:21, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 05/15/2017 12:09 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
>>> On Sat, 13 May 2017 15:11:00, Eric Blake wrote:

>> Thanks for the ping. I've now replied to that thread to ask upstream bash for help in deciphering if Chet, who wrote the code, might be aware of why it is
>> breaking things.
>>
>> That said, I still hope to get a closer look at it myself when I have a nice chunk of time; but the trick is still getting that nice chunk of time.

and then quoting text that describes discussion of the problem, but not
the problem itself, is not helpful.

Going back to your original email:

On 05/12/2017 01:50 PM, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc
file I have just this line:
> "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
>
> I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from
another (say, GUI) place I copy
> some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to
cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.

I still have not had time to try and reproduce this issue.  But a short
answer might be that the clipboard behaves differently on cygwin than on
other systems; it may be that your key-binding worked, but that bash's
attempt to read from the clipboard found no data.

Does 'cat /dev/clipboard' output the data you are expecting to see?

On 01.09.2017 16:42, Eric Blake wrote:
> Does 'cat /dev/clipboard' output the data you are expecting to see?

yes

Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard

Thomas Wolff
> On 05/12/2017 01:50 PM, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
>> I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from another (say, GUI) place I copy
That's not quite the "Cygwin Terminal", it's (implicitly) the Cygwin
Console.
>> some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.
Try Shift+Insert

On 01.09.2017 17:24, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> On 05/12/2017 01:50 PM, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
>>> I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from another (say, GUI) place I copy
> That's not quite the "Cygwin Terminal", it's (implicitly) the Cygwin Console.
>>> some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.
> Try Shift+Insert
no luck, same result as with insert

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 09:42:12, Eric Blake wrote:

> > I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc
> file I have just this line:
> > "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
> >
> > I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from
> another (say, GUI) place I copy
> > some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to
> cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.
>
> I still have not had time to try and reproduce this issue.  But a short
> answer might be that the clipboard behaves differently on cygwin than on
> other systems; it may be that your key-binding worked, but that bash's
> attempt to read from the clipboard found no data.

Sanity check - does this even work with Linux? I just tried it with Lubuntu, and
it does not work either. Only the default Shift+Insert or Ctrl+Shift+V work.

Lubuntu uses LXTerminal, with it you can do Edit, Preferences, Shortcuts and
change the Ctrl+Shift+V to something else - not sure where Shift+Insert comes
from - maybe readline?

Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard

Brian Inglis
On 2017-09-01 16:19, Steven Penny wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 09:42:12, Eric Blake wrote:
>> > I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc
>> file I have just this line:
>> > "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
>> >
>> > I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from
>> another (say, GUI) place I copy
>> > some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to
>> cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.
>>
>> I still have not had time to try and reproduce this issue.  But a short
>> answer might be that the clipboard behaves differently on cygwin than on
>> other systems; it may be that your key-binding worked, but that bash's
>> attempt to read from the clipboard found no data.
>
> Sanity check - does this even work with Linux? I just tried it with Lubuntu, and
> it does not work either. Only the default Shift+Insert or Ctrl+Shift+V work.
>
> Lubuntu uses LXTerminal, with it you can do Edit, Preferences, Shortcuts and
> change the Ctrl+Shift+V to something else - not sure where Shift+Insert comes
> from - maybe readline?

Control-Insert, Shift-Delete, Shift-Insert may be from X-selection keystrokes in
the early days; Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Z may be from Xerox Alto or Star
window systems, and were used for clipboard operations on X window systems.
MS Windows took a lot of its early designs from Motif, so those keystrokes were
adopted and implemented at the window level, and are still available even when
the application does not support Copy, Cut, Paste; later when MS borrowed from
Apple, they adopted the Apple keystrokes for application supported operations,
including formatting and graphics.