Quantcast

problem with paste-from-clipboard

Ladislav DANKO
Hi folks,

I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc file I have just this line:
"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

I start cygwin terminal (as C:\cyg64\bin\bash.exe --login -i), from another (say, GUI) place I copy
some text into clipboard and I try to include it with Insert key to cygwin terminal. Nothing happend.

I tried run `sed -n l` to check that my Insert key gives right keystroke:
$> sed -n l
\033[2~$
So it looks like keystroke is mapped good.

I included another line in ~/.inputrc just to verify, that  ~/.inputrc is sourced:
"\e[3~": end-of-line
and now when I hit Delete key, cursor is moved at the end of line. So looks like ~/.inputrc is
sourced and works.

But I can't include from clipboard.

In terminal definition I have checked Quick edit mode and Insert mode.

Does someone know what I'm doing wrong?

My system: Win7 64 Professional, English.

Ladislav

Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard

Steven Penny
On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:50:26, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
> I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc file I
> have just this line: "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

You have left out a critical piece of information here, you have not mentioned
*what* you are trying to paste. Note that current readline is broken when using
code page 65001:

Current maintainer Eric Blake is refusing to rollback, and refusing to fix the
problem, instead pushing the responsibility of patching this on the user base:

Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard

Ladislav DANKO
So downgrade my libreadline to previous version?

I have 7.0.1-2, cygwin install is trying to push me to 7.0.3-3 version. On my another
station (older cygwin instalattion) I has 6.3.8-1 version and here it works good.

On 13.05.2017 00:37, Steven Penny wrote:

> On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:50:26, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
>> I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc file I
>> have just this line: "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
>
> You have left out a critical piece of information here, you have not mentioned
> *what* you are trying to paste. Note that current readline is broken when using
> code page 65001:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00176.html
>
> Current maintainer Eric Blake is refusing to rollback, and refusing to fix the
> problem, instead pushing the responsibility of patching this on the user base:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00161.html
>

> --
> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: problem with paste-from-clipboard

Eric Blake (cygwin)-2
On 05/12/2017 05:37 PM, Steven Penny wrote:

> On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:50:26, Ladislav DANKO wrote:
>> I have problem with "paste-from-clipboard" in cygwin. In ~/.inputrc
>> file I
>> have just this line: "\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard
>
> You have left out a critical piece of information here, you have not
> mentioned
> *what* you are trying to paste. Note that current readline is broken
> when using
> code page 65001:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00176.html
>
> Current maintainer Eric Blake is refusing to rollback, and refusing to
> fix the
> problem, instead pushing the responsibility of patching this on the user
> base:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00161.html
You're making it sound like I'm actively trying to hurt you. Rather,
it's a case where it is a problem that doesn't affect me personally, and
I have limited enough spare time as it is, so I haven't yet tried to
reproduce things to see if I can isolate what behavior changed.

I would love help solving the issue.  Absent that help, you'll just have
to wait for me to have time.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266

On Sat, 13 May 2017 15:11:00, Eric Blake wrote:
> You're making it sound like I'm actively trying to hurt you. Rather,
> it's a case where it is a problem that doesn't affect me personally, and
> I have limited enough spare time as it is, so I haven't yet tried to
> reproduce things to see if I can isolate what behavior changed.
>
> I would love help solving the issue.  Absent that help, you'll just have
> to wait for me to have time.

But I have helped - in the very post of mine you just quoted, I put this link:

that post of mine contains not only the commit in question, but even potentially
the file in question and even possibly the section of the file in question. You
never even responded to that post.

On 05/15/2017 12:09 PM, Steven Penny wrote:

> On Sat, 13 May 2017 15:11:00, Eric Blake wrote:
>> You're making it sound like I'm actively trying to hurt you. Rather,
>> it's a case where it is a problem that doesn't affect me personally, and
>> I have limited enough spare time as it is, so I haven't yet tried to
>> reproduce things to see if I can isolate what behavior changed.
>>
>> I would love help solving the issue.  Absent that help, you'll just have
>> to wait for me to have time.
>
> But I have helped - in the very post of mine you just quoted, I put this
> link:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00176.html
>
> that post of mine contains not only the commit in question, but even
> potentially
> the file in question and even possibly the section of the file in
> question. You
> never even responded to that post.
Probably because I did not even see the post at the time. (While I try
to keep up with Cygwin email, I also get hundreds of other mails per
day, and when Cygwin is limited to my free time, sometimes things slip
through the cracks).  In life, and therefore in open source, it is often
that the squeaky wheel gets the grease; if something isn't getting the
attention you think it deserves, it is not bad to ping the thread to
bring it back to the forefront.

Thanks for the ping. I've now replied to that thread to ask upstream
bash for help in deciphering if Chet, who wrote the code, might be aware
of why it is breaking things.

That said, I still hope to get a closer look at it myself when I have a
nice chunk of time; but the trick is still getting that nice chunk of time.