ping

Ivan Godard
Many thanks; cross-building from another directory did in fact eliminate my
problem. Anybody want a report saying that cross-build is required on Cygwin but
not on any (of several) other systems? I admit the bell is more interesting  :-)

Ivan

Re: ping

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
Ivan Godard wrote:
> Many thanks; cross-building from another directory did in fact eliminate
> my problem. Anybody want a report saying that cross-build is required on
> Cygwin but not on any (of several) other systems?

Why not?  I agree that not requiring cross-builds outside of the src directory
is a bug. ;-)

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office

Re: ping

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 07:04:57PM -0800, Ivan Godard wrote:
>Many thanks; cross-building from another directory did in fact
>eliminate my problem.  Anybody want a report saying that cross-build is
>required on Cygwin but not on any (of several) other systems?  I admit
>the bell is more interesting :-)

You probably want to stop talking about the "bell problem" now.

There are night/day differences between someone working on fixing a problem
and someone begging to have someone fix a problem for them.  If you can't
see the difference between the two then that's not really an issue that
has to be discussed any further here.

And, no, you don't need to send me a report about something that I told
you to try.

Re: ping

Gerrit P. Haase-3
Ivan wrote:

> Many thanks; cross-building from another directory did in fact
> eliminate my problem. Anybody want a report saying that cross-build is
> required on Cygwin but not on any (of several) other systems? I admit
> the bell is more interesting  :-)

It is usual way to build any package outside of the source directory in
a separate build directory, it is a well known fact for packages using
Cygnus configure and for GCC it is stated in the README somewhere, don't
know if binutils makes this clear in the README.  At least for gcc it is
a requirement since it will fail when trying to build inside the source
directory.  If this works for you on another platform, you're a lucky
man.  IMO every package not supporting builds outside the source tree is
buggy.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=                                     http://nyckelpiga.de/donate.html