pinentry-curses not available?

David Dombrowsky
I don't see a way to download `pinentry-curses` or `pinentry-tty` for
use with `gpg-agent` (using gnupg v2).  Are these not maintained?  Or
am I just looking at the wrong sources?

In any case, I got pinentry-1.1.0 to compile against a cygwin-supplied
version of ncurses, and it mostly works (you still need to tell it to
not detach from the tty, not sure what's up with that).  This is very
useful when signing git commits, and removing the need for a graphical
console just to input my gpg passphrase.

--
David Dombrowsky, Senior Software Engineer
email: [hidden email]

Re: pinentry-curses not available?

cyg Simple
On 11/2/2018 3:47 PM, David Dombrowsky wrote:
> I don't see a way to download `pinentry-curses` or `pinentry-tty` for
> use with `gpg-agent` (using gnupg v2).  Are these not maintained?  Or
> am I just looking at the wrong sources?
>
> In any case, I got pinentry-1.1.0 to compile against a cygwin-supplied
> version of ncurses, and it mostly works (you still need to tell it to
> not detach from the tty, not sure what's up with that).  This is very
> useful when signing git commits, and removing the need for a graphical
> console just to input my gpg passphrase.

I see from [1] that pinentry-w32 exists which is a replacement for
pinentry-curses which was in [2].  Now both of these are version 1.0.0.
Based on [3] Marco Atzeri can give or point to reasoning.

[1]
https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fpinentry%2Fpinentry-1.0.0-2&grep=pinentry
[2]
https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fpinentry%2Fpinentry-1.0.0-1&grep=pinentry
[3] https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

--
cyg Simple

Re: pinentry-curses not available?

David Dombrowsky
> I see from [1] that pinentry-w32 exists which is a replacement for
> pinentry-curses which was in [2].

pinentry-w32 works great, but it requires you to be logged in to the
GUI, and _then_ invoke gpg-agent, in order for things to work.  And
you need to do this every time the pin times out.  Obviously not the
end of the world, but having a console one is much nicer, because it
works over an ssh connection.

Am 02.11.2018 um 20:47 schrieb David Dombrowsky:
> I don't see a way to download `pinentry-curses` or `pinentry-tty` for
> use with `gpg-agent` (using gnupg v2).  Are these not maintained?  Or
> am I just looking at the wrong sources?
>
> In any case, I got pinentry-1.1.0 to compile against a cygwin-supplied
> version of ncurses, and it mostly works (you still need to tell it to
> not detach from the tty, not sure what's up with that).

can you clarify ?
May be it was the reason why I and Yaakov found it not functional

> This is very
> useful when signing git commits, and removing the need for a graphical
> console just to input my gpg passphrase.

---

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 2:23 PM Marco Atzeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In any case, I got pinentry-1.1.0 to compile against a cygwin-supplied
> > version of ncurses, and it mostly works (you still need to tell it to
> > not detach from the tty, not sure what's up with that).
>
> can you clarify ?
> May be it was the reason why I and Yaakov found it not functional

That's very possible.

I downloaded the stock source for pinentry 1.1.0 from gnupg.org and
tried to build it.  After "fixing" one of the build errors (ttytype is
a macro and needs to be renamed in the pinentry source, at least on my
cygwin install), I got it to build and install.  But it won't run
unless you pass `--keep-tty` to `gpg-agent`, and even then it's a
little picky and the agent needs to be killed and restarted
frequently.

I was just wondering if anyone had done anything beyond the 20 minutes
of work I put into it.  If not, then my somewhat hack-ish solution is
a sufficient workaround.

This is with cygwin 64-bit, setup 2.893
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 BL-ENG-P01 2.11.1(0.329/5/3) 2018-09-05 10:24 x86_64 Cygwin