perl_base

Achim Gratz

The first maintenance release for Perl 5.26 is coming up.  The original
idea of splitting the perl package up into perl_base and perl (like most
GNU/Linux distros do) was to have a more lightweight package that
satisfies most dependencies and could eventually be made a mandatory
part of the Cygwin distribution.  Following some discussion on the main
list about certain postinstall actions requiring perl, do we want to
move perl_base properly into the Base category or not?

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

Re: perl_base

Ken Brown-6
On 4/7/2018 2:53 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> The first maintenance release for Perl 5.26 is coming up.  The original
> idea of splitting the perl package up into perl_base and perl (like most
> GNU/Linux distros do) was to have a more lightweight package that
> satisfies most dependencies and could eventually be made a mandatory
> part of the Cygwin distribution.  Following some discussion on the main
> list about certain postinstall actions requiring perl, do we want to
> move perl_base properly into the Base category or not?

The upshot of that discussion was that perl is in the base system of the
following distros, among many others: Debian, Fedora, CentOS, Gentoo,
and OpenBSD.  Moreover, no one who participated in that discussion
objected to adding perl_base to Base.  So I think we should do it.

Ken