perl 5.32

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

perl 5.32

cygwin-apps mailing list
Achim,

I've just learned that the next release of biber is going to require 5.32.  Do
you have any plans to package the latter?

Ken
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

Achim Gratz
Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps writes:
> I've just learned that the next release of biber is going to require
> 5.32.  Do you have any plans to package the latter?

Well, I get that they always want to be on the bleeding edge of UTF-8,
but otherwise is that version really a requirement?  The update itself
isn't much of a problem I'd think, it's just that there's this slew of
other packages to update in concert and the fact that most of them
haven't yet added the perl5_030 require to prevent the update doing
damage to an installation until such a package is actually updated.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldSamplesExtra
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 12/8/2020 2:05 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> I've just learned that the next release of biber is going to require
>> 5.32.  Do you have any plans to package the latter?
>
> Well, I get that they always want to be on the bleeding edge of UTF-8,
> but otherwise is that version really a requirement?  The update itself
> isn't much of a problem I'd think, it's just that there's this slew of
> other packages to update in concert and the fact that most of them
> haven't yet added the perl5_030 require to prevent the update doing
> damage to an installation until such a package is actually updated.

Yes, unfortunately it really is a requirement.  But I'd be perfectly happy to
just install 5.32 locally and use it for building the upstream biber (which is
distributed as an archive created by PAR::Packer).  I can delay releasing
Cygwin's biber package until you're ready to update perl.

Would it be easy for you to send me a cygport file that I could use for building
my own perl 5.32?

Ken
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

Achim Gratz
Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps writes:
> Yes, unfortunately it really is a requirement.  But I'd be perfectly
> happy to just install 5.32 locally and use it for building the
> upstream biber (which is distributed as an archive created by
> PAR::Packer).  I can delay releasing Cygwin's biber package until
> you're ready to update perl.

I'd still be interested in what upstream thinks they get from 5.32 that
absolutely can't be had from 5.30.

> Would it be easy for you to send me a cygport file that I could use
> for building my own perl 5.32?

I'll have to check which patches to carry and pull them up to the new
base.  The other thing about 5.32 is that I would really like to wait
until 5.32.1 is out and there is no date set for when that is going to
happen.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf Q+, Q and microQ:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

Achim Gratz
Achim Gratz writes:
> I'd still be interested in what upstream thinks they get from 5.32 that
> absolutely can't be had from 5.30.

It's even more saddening or hilarious (depending on where you are
standing) than I thought.  The whole thing was developed while still
being compatible with 5.30 and in preparation for the release they
changed around a bunch of configs that have _nothing_ to do with the
functionality to make 5.32 the requirement.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf Blofeld:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 12/9/2020 1:57 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:
>> I'd still be interested in what upstream thinks they get from 5.32 that
>> absolutely can't be had from 5.30.
>
> It's even more saddening or hilarious (depending on where you are
> standing) than I thought.  The whole thing was developed while still
> being compatible with 5.30 and in preparation for the release they
> changed around a bunch of configs that have _nothing_ to do with the
> functionality to make 5.32 the requirement.

I've just followed up with the biber maintainer, with a copy to you.

Ken
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

Achim Gratz
Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps writes:
> I've just followed up with the biber maintainer, with a copy to you.

Thanks.

I've checked again, there was talk about getting 5.32.1 going end of
November but nothing happened since then (on the mailing list anyway).
I think it's unlikely to get released this year since Big Sur has
created a bunch of problems that they'll probably want to get on top of
before collecting the backporting patches.

I'll see to get 5.32.0 out for you as a test release (let me know which
distributions you need in addtion to perl itself).  Whether we patch
Biber back to 5.30 compatibility or wait for the 5.32.1 update for Biber
remains to be decided later on I'd say.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptations for KORG EX-800 and Poly-800MkII V0.9:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#KorgSDada
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 12/9/2020 3:37 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> I'll see to get 5.32.0 out for you as a test release (let me know which
> distributions you need in addtion to perl itself).

Thanks.  Here's the BUILD_REQUIRES:

perl-Business-ISBN
perl-Business-ISMN
perl-Business-ISSN
perl-Class-Accessor
perl-Config-AutoConf
perl-Data-Compare
perl-Data-Dump
perl-Data-Uniqid
perl-DateTime-Calendar-Julian
perl-DateTime-Format-Builder
perl-Encode-EUCJPASCII
perl-Encode-HanExtra
perl-Encode-JIS2K
perl-ExtUtils-LibBuilder
perl-File-Slurper
perl-File-Which
perl-IO-String
perl-IPC-Cmd
perl-IPC-Run3
perl-LWP-Protocol-https
perl-Lingua-Translit
perl-List-AllUtils
perl-List-MoreUtils
perl-List-MoreUtils-XS
perl-Log-Log4perl
perl-Module-Build
perl-Mozilla-CA
perl-Parse-RecDescent
perl-PerlIO-utf8_strict
perl-Regexp-Common
perl-Sort-Key
perl-Test-Differences
perl-Test-Simple
perl-Text-BibTeX
perl-Text-CSV
perl-Text-CSV_XS
perl-Text-Roman
perl-URI
perl-Unicode-Collate
perl-Unicode-LineBreak
perl-Unicode-Normalize
perl-XML-LibXML
perl-XML-LibXML-Simple
perl-XML-LibXSLT
perl-XML-Writer
perl-autovivification
perl-libwww-perl

> Whether we patch
> Biber back to 5.30 compatibility or wait for the 5.32.1 update for Biber
> remains to be decided later on I'd say.

Sounds good to me.

Ken
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

Achim Gratz
In reply to this post by Achim Gratz
Achim Gratz writes:
> I've checked again, there was talk about getting 5.32.1 going end of
> November but nothing happened since then (on the mailing list anyway).
> I think it's unlikely to get released this year since Big Sur has
> created a bunch of problems that they'll probably want to get on top of
> before collecting the backporting patches.

The current indication is that this release wqill be ready mid to end
of January.

> I'll see to get 5.32.0 out for you as a test release (let me know which
> distributions you need in addtion to perl itself).  Whether we patch
> Biber back to 5.30 compatibility or wait for the 5.32.1 update for Biber
> remains to be decided later on I'd say.

I've cleaned up the patches so they still apply on top of 5.32.0 where
applicable and built the initial packages.  For the rest I'll have to
set up one of my old build machines as I don't want to move my main
build box from the official state (which would mean I could no longer
update other packages).


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldUserWavetables
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 12/21/2020 3:30 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Achim Gratz writes:
>> I've checked again, there was talk about getting 5.32.1 going end of
>> November but nothing happened since then (on the mailing list anyway).
>> I think it's unlikely to get released this year since Big Sur has
>> created a bunch of problems that they'll probably want to get on top of
>> before collecting the backporting patches.
>
> The current indication is that this release wqill be ready mid to end
> of January.
>
>> I'll see to get 5.32.0 out for you as a test release (let me know which
>> distributions you need in addtion to perl itself).  Whether we patch
>> Biber back to 5.30 compatibility or wait for the 5.32.1 update for Biber
>> remains to be decided later on I'd say.
>
> I've cleaned up the patches so they still apply on top of 5.32.0 where
> applicable and built the initial packages.  For the rest I'll have to
> set up one of my old build machines as I don't want to move my main
> build box from the official state (which would mean I could no longer
> update other packages).

Great.  Thanks for working on this.

Ken
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

Achim Gratz
In reply to this post by Achim Gratz
Achim Gratz writes:
> I've cleaned up the patches so they still apply on top of 5.32.0 where
> applicable and built the initial packages.  For the rest I'll have to
> set up one of my old build machines as I don't want to move my main
> build box from the official state (which would mean I could no longer
> update other packages).

I ended up creating a completely new build environment and staging
repository on that machine.  I have completed the stage-1 bootstrap,
when I have reviewed the build logs for (new) errors I'll start the
stage-2 bootstrap.  That'll take about a bit on that machine, but I
should get a repo that I can upload for your tests out of it.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#KomplexerWaves
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

Achim Gratz
Achim Gratz writes:

> Achim Gratz writes:
>> I've cleaned up the patches so they still apply on top of 5.32.0 where
>> applicable and built the initial packages.  For the rest I'll have to
>> set up one of my old build machines as I don't want to move my main
>> build box from the official state (which would mean I could no longer
>> update other packages).
>
> I ended up creating a completely new build environment and staging
> repository on that machine.  I have completed the stage-1 bootstrap,
> when I have reviewed the build logs for (new) errors I'll start the
> stage-2 bootstrap.  That'll take about a bit on that machine, but I
> should get a repo that I can upload for your tests out of it.


The Perl 5.32 test repository is now up at:

root=http://cygwin.stromeko.net/
$root/perl-5.32

including all Perl distributions that I maintain or co-maintain.  This
is purely for initial testing of the 5.32 mainline, there is no
intention of releasing this version of Perl on Cygwin.  Once the first
maintenance update becomes available in January (if everything comes
together as planned), I'll just start over.  I'll also just replace any
packages in the repo when I have to rework them for whatever reason.

Therefore, don't expect to be able to update installations with these
packages installed without manual intervention.  I recommend to use
either a throwaway installation or having a full backup of the original
installation.

The setup.ini is signed with my PGP key available at $root/stromeko.gpg,
which you can download and then feed to setup.exe via the -K switch.
The fingerprint of that key is:

      B22B 4890 B89E 5E5A 795C  E305 B40B EC75 3152 B1C3

If you have the keyart script (Python, you can just download from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/atoponce/keyart/master/keyart), this
is what you should see after importing the key into your public keyring:

> keyart stromeko
+-----[DSA 2048]----+
|         ^.        |
|        ^ .        |
|       ^ E         |
|    . . ^ :        |
|. .  ^ : .         |
|.^  . ^.:S         |
| ..  . :^.         |
|.  .^ ^.^          |
|. ^:.^ ..          |
| ^:... .           |
|.^    .            |
+-----[3152B1C3]----+
+-------------------+
|                 :X|
|             .  ^^^|
|            :   ..^|
|         . : .   E |
|          i . . .  |
|       ^ S l : .   |
|        i l ^ ^    |
|       ^ . .       |
|      .   .        |
|       . .         |
|      ...          |
+-------------------+


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Waldorf MIDI Implementation & additional documentation:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfDocs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 12/26/2020 12:43 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Achim Gratz writes:
>> Achim Gratz writes:
>>> I've cleaned up the patches so they still apply on top of 5.32.0 where
>>> applicable and built the initial packages.  For the rest I'll have to
>>> set up one of my old build machines as I don't want to move my main
>>> build box from the official state (which would mean I could no longer
>>> update other packages).
>>
>> I ended up creating a completely new build environment and staging
>> repository on that machine.  I have completed the stage-1 bootstrap,
>> when I have reviewed the build logs for (new) errors I'll start the
>> stage-2 bootstrap.  That'll take about a bit on that machine, but I
>> should get a repo that I can upload for your tests out of it.
>
>
> The Perl 5.32 test repository is now up at:
>
> root=http://cygwin.stromeko.net/
> $root/perl-5.32
>
> including all Perl distributions that I maintain or co-maintain.  This
> is purely for initial testing of the 5.32 mainline, there is no
> intention of releasing this version of Perl on Cygwin.  Once the first
> maintenance update becomes available in January (if everything comes
> together as planned), I'll just start over.  I'll also just replace any
> packages in the repo when I have to rework them for whatever reason.
>
> Therefore, don't expect to be able to update installations with these
> packages installed without manual intervention.  I recommend to use
> either a throwaway installation or having a full backup of the original
> installation.

Thanks very much!  It worked fine for building biber.

Ken
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

Achim Gratz
Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> The Perl 5.32 test repository is now up at:
>> root=http://cygwin.stromeko.net/
>> $root/perl-5.32
>> including all Perl distributions that I maintain or co-maintain.
>
> Thanks very much!  It worked fine for building biber.

Did you encounter any problems with setup, provided you started with an
installation that already has the 5.30 Perl installed?  Since I use my
own local repository and setup.ini that only contains the packages I am
going to install I can't really test that scenario, although I noticed
that "Sync" does produce a very strange solution the first time around
and I have to cycle through "Keep" and "Best" for it to settle on just
upgrading Perl and not removing half of the rest of the system.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Waldorf MIDI Implementation & additional documentation:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfDocs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 12/27/2020 1:41 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps writes:
>>> The Perl 5.32 test repository is now up at:
>>> root=http://cygwin.stromeko.net/
>>> $root/perl-5.32
>>> including all Perl distributions that I maintain or co-maintain.
>>
>> Thanks very much!  It worked fine for building biber.
>
> Did you encounter any problems with setup, provided you started with an
> installation that already has the 5.30 Perl installed?  Since I use my
> own local repository and setup.ini that only contains the packages I am
> going to install I can't really test that scenario, although I noticed
> that "Sync" does produce a very strange solution the first time around
> and I have to cycle through "Keep" and "Best" for it to settle on just
> upgrading Perl and not removing half of the rest of the system.

I used a test installation that had 5.30 installed but didn't have all the Perl
distributions that I needed for building Biber.  I never had occasion to use
"Sync"; I just installed missing packages.  Sometimes I ran setup with your repo
in addition to a regular mirror, and sometimes just with yours.  I ran it
several times until I had everything I needed.

The only small glitch that I encountered was when upgrading perl-Algorithm-Diff.
  The version in your test repo was 1.201 instead of 1.2010, so setup didn't
recognize it as being newer than the installed version (1.9xxx).

Ken
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

Achim Gratz
Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps writes:
> The only small glitch that I encountered was when upgrading
> perl-Algorithm-Diff.   The version in your test repo was 1.201 instead
> of 1.2010, so setup didn't recognize it as being newer than the
> installed version (1.9xxx).

Ah, I forgot to change that, thanks for noticing.  I'm still thinking
about whether I should generally canonicalize the versions for setup.
That would be yet another patch for cygport, though.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldSamplesExtra
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

Achim Gratz
In reply to this post by Achim Gratz
Achim Gratz writes:
> The Perl 5.32 test repository is now up at:
>
> root=http://cygwin.stromeko.net/
> $root/perl-5.32

Additionally the perl-5.32-RC1 is now available in this repo as a test
package (perl-5.32.1-0.1).  The distributions are all unchanged.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldUserWavetables
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perl 5.32

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 1/10/2021 7:42 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:
>> The Perl 5.32 test repository is now up at:
>>
>> root=http://cygwin.stromeko.net/
>> $root/perl-5.32
>
> Additionally the perl-5.32-RC1 is now available in this repo as a test
> package (perl-5.32.1-0.1).  The distributions are all unchanged.

I installed it on my test installation and rebuilt biber.  No problems.

Ken
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Attn. Maintainers] perl-5.32

Achim Gratz
In reply to this post by Achim Gratz

Perl 5.32 was released today.  In order to switch to this new Perl we
will again have to update or re-release a bunch of packages that are
using Perl.  I will soon replace the RC1 in my test repository with the
release version and rebuild all distributions.  You can then use this
repository to update your installations and then the packages you own.

Please note that you need to manually insert a dependency on perl5_032
in addition to any dependencies to perl_base or perl into your packages
since the officially released cygport does not yet generate this extra
dependency.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptations for Waldorf Q V3.00R3 and Q+ V3.54R2:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada