perl-5.24?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

perl-5.24?

Ken Brown-6
Achim,

I'm wondering whether you have plans to update perl to 5.24.  The biber
developer has just announced that the next version of biber will require
it because "they have the postfix dereference notion officially
supported and I can get rid of the the horrible circumfix operator syntax".

Thanks.

Ken
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: perl-5.24?

Achim Gratz
Ken Brown <kbrown@...> writes:
> I'm wondering whether you have plans to update perl to 5.24.  The biber
> developer has just announced that the next version of biber will require
> it because "they have the postfix dereference notion officially
> supported and I can get rid of the the horrible circumfix operator syntax".

I was trying to keep things stable for a while and then maybe go straight
for 5.26.x when it becomes mainstream.  I would only want to switch to 5.24
in the next half year or so if I can keep it binary backwards compatible, so
we don't have to another massrebuild of all dependent packages.  I haven't
started to look into that, though.


Regards,
Achim.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: perl-5.24?

Achim Gratz
In reply to this post by Ken Brown-6
Ken Brown <kbrown@...> writes:
> I'm wondering whether you have plans to update perl to 5.24.  The biber
> developer has just announced that the next version of biber will require
> it because "they have the postfix dereference notion officially
> supported and I can get rid of the the horrible circumfix operator syntax".

The RC1 for 5.24.1 is available now.  If it's binary compatible with the
5.22 modules, I could update  Perl without too much trouble, I think.


Regards,
Achim.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: perl-5.24?

Ken Brown-6
On 7/18/2016 3:39 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown <kbrown@...> writes:
>> I'm wondering whether you have plans to update perl to 5.24.  The biber
>> developer has just announced that the next version of biber will require
>> it because "they have the postfix dereference notion officially
>> supported and I can get rid of the the horrible circumfix operator syntax".
>
> The RC1 for 5.24.1 is available now.  If it's binary compatible with the
> 5.22 modules, I could update  Perl without too much trouble, I think.

Thanks.  The INSTALL file says that it's not binary compatible and that
XS modules will have to be recompiled.  It looks like we have about 8 of
those in the distro.

Ken

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: perl-5.24?

Ken Brown-6
On 7/18/2016 8:03 AM, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 7/18/2016 3:39 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Ken Brown <kbrown@...> writes:
>>> I'm wondering whether you have plans to update perl to 5.24.  The biber
>>> developer has just announced that the next version of biber will require
>>> it because "they have the postfix dereference notion officially
>>> supported and I can get rid of the the horrible circumfix operator
>>> syntax".
>>
>> The RC1 for 5.24.1 is available now.  If it's binary compatible with the
>> 5.22 modules, I could update  Perl without too much trouble, I think.
>
> Thanks.  The INSTALL file says that it's not binary compatible and that
> XS modules will have to be recompiled.  It looks like we have about 8 of
> those in the distro.

It looks like 5.26.0 is due to be released in a couple weeks.  What are
your plans for updating?  Do you think it might happen in time for TeX
Live 2017 (expected to be released in late May or early June)?  If not,
I'll probably have to temporarily go back to the old system of shipping
biber as a packed Perl archive.

Thanks.

Ken

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: perl-5.24?

Achim Gratz
Ken Brown writes:
> It looks like 5.26.0 is due to be released in a couple weeks.  What
> are your plans for updating?  Do you think it might happen in time for
> TeX Live 2017 (expected to be released in late May or early June)?  If
> not, I'll probably have to temporarily go back to the old system of
> shipping biber as a packed Perl archive.

I'm watching p5p to see what happens.  The discussion about the dot in
@INC is still raging, I'm not sure what the outcome will be.

The other more immediately worrisome discussion is about fatalization of
unescaped brackets in regex (which is currently giving a deprecated
warning).  This would break all versions of autoconf we currently have
in Cygwin, so that would be a complete no-go unless Yaakov was willing
to point-patch it.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptation for Waldorf microQ V2.22R2:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: perl-5.24?

Achim Gratz
In reply to this post by Ken Brown-6
Ken Brown writes:
> It looks like 5.26.0 is due to be released in a couple weeks.  What
> are your plans for updating?  Do you think it might happen in time for
> TeX Live 2017 (expected to be released in late May or early June)?  If
> not, I'll probably have to temporarily go back to the old system of
> shipping biber as a packed Perl archive.

Well, damn the torpedoes.  I've uploaded a test version for Perl
5.24.1.  If you try it, please check if simply linking the 5.22
directories under 5.24 works for you.  If not, remove those links and
either build the distributions you need locally or let me know which
ones I should provide.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#KomplexerWaves
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: perl-5.24?

Ken Brown-6
On 4/8/2017 12:55 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Ken Brown writes:
>> It looks like 5.26.0 is due to be released in a couple weeks.  What
>> are your plans for updating?  Do you think it might happen in time for
>> TeX Live 2017 (expected to be released in late May or early June)?  If
>> not, I'll probably have to temporarily go back to the old system of
>> shipping biber as a packed Perl archive.
>
> Well, damn the torpedoes.  I've uploaded a test version for Perl
> 5.24.1.  If you try it, please check if simply linking the 5.22
> directories under 5.24 works for you.  If not, remove those links and
> either build the distributions you need locally or let me know which
> ones I should provide.

Actually it was easier to just install the biber prerequisites using
cpan.  I build and tested biber, and it seems fine.

Thanks.

Ken

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: perl-5.24?

Achim Gratz
Ken Brown writes:
> Actually it was easier to just install the biber prerequisites using
> cpan.  I build and tested biber, and it seems fine.

Well, I wanted to see if the XS modules weren't actually binary
compatible between 5.22 and 5.24… the non-XS certainly should be.  The
current Perl build doesn't use the older modules at all, which is why I
asked you to link the respective directories and tell me what happens (I
won't be able to test much past this weekend for some time).


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptations for Waldorf Q V3.00R3 and Q+ V3.54R2:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: perl-5.24?

Achim Gratz
Achim Gratz writes:
> Well, I wanted to see if the XS modules weren't actually binary
> compatible between 5.22 and 5.24… the non-XS certainly should be.

No they're not, since the configury added copy-on-write behaviour.  I
could probably have suppressed that, but then there maybe would be other
problems.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf rackAttack:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds
Loading...