openmpi warning "unable to open debugger attach fifo"

openmpi warning "unable to open debugger attach fifo"

Satish Balay-2
Hi,

On using openmpi from cygwin - I'm getting the following warning. Any idea how to avoid this?

balay@ps5 ~
$ /usr/bin/mpiexec -n 1 hostname
ps5
[ps5:00491] [[23611,0],0] unable to open debugger attach fifo

balay@ps5 ~
$ cygcheck.exe -cd cygwin openmpi
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version
cygwin               3.1.2-1
openmpi              3.1.2-2

balay@ps5 ~
$
<<<<<

PS: Appreciate if you can cc me on replies.

Thanks,
Satish

Re: openmpi warning "unable to open debugger attach fifo"

Ken Brown-6
On 1/27/2020 11:41 AM, Satish Balay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On using openmpi from cygwin - I'm getting the following warning. Any idea how to avoid this?
>

> balay@ps5 ~
> $ /usr/bin/mpiexec -n 1 hostname
> ps5
> [ps5:00491] [[23611,0],0] unable to open debugger attach fifo

The attempt to open a FIFO in the source file orte/orted/orted_submit.c:2862 is
failing due to a Cygwin bug.  I think I see how to fix it.  Stay tuned.

On 1/27/2020 1:49 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 1/27/2020 11:41 AM, Satish Balay wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On using openmpi from cygwin - I'm getting the following warning. Any idea how to avoid this?
>>

>> balay@ps5 ~
>> $ /usr/bin/mpiexec -n 1 hostname
>> ps5
>> [ps5:00491] [[23611,0],0] unable to open debugger attach fifo
>
> The attempt to open a FIFO in the source file orte/orted/orted_submit.c:2862 is
> failing due to a Cygwin bug.  I think I see how to fix it.  Stay tuned.

Sorry, I spoke too soon and was misinterpreting some code I was reading.  I
don't see a Cygwin bug after all.  Moreover, if I run your command under gdb, I
don't get an error.

Re: openmpi warning "unable to open debugger attach fifo"

marco atzeri-4
Am 27.01.2020 um 22:28 schrieb Ken Brown:

> On 1/27/2020 1:49 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 1/27/2020 11:41 AM, Satish Balay wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On using openmpi from cygwin - I'm getting the following warning. Any idea how to avoid this?
>>>

>>> balay@ps5 ~
>>> $ /usr/bin/mpiexec -n 1 hostname
>>> ps5
>>> [ps5:00491] [[23611,0],0] unable to open debugger attach fifo
>>
>> The attempt to open a FIFO in the source file orte/orted/orted_submit.c:2862 is
>> failing due to a Cygwin bug.  I think I see how to fix it.  Stay tuned.
>
> Sorry, I spoke too soon and was misinterpreting some code I was reading.  I
> don't see a Cygwin bug after all.  Moreover, if I run your command under gdb, I
> don't get an error.
>
> Ken

I will look if the release candidate for 3.1.6 has still that issue.
3.1.5 had another larger warning that I silenced and that was due
to an upstream bug that has been solved.
This warning passed below my radar after I solved the bigger one.

Unfortunately OpenMPI takes age to build so do not expect any
too early..