native Linux userland in Windows 10

123

native Linux userland in Windows 10

Andrew Schulman
By now I guess most of us have seen the reports of bash, and in fact a full
Linux userland, running natively in Windows 10:

http://www.osnews.com/story/29149/Microsoft_and_Canonical_partner_to_bring_Ubuntu_to_Windows_10
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html

It's in beta release and doesn't seem to have been widely tested yet. Apparently
Microsoft has developed an API translation layer, simliar to the Cygwin DLL, to
make this work.  But unlike with Cygwin, Linux apps don't have to be rebuilt -
they can run natively as-is in Windows 10. So you can get, allegedly, the full
Linux userland out-of-the-box.

The first link cited above suggests that if this is all it claims to be, it
would remove the need for Cygwin. I can see the point.

Has anyone had a chance to try this new feature?  Does it work as well as is
claimed?

I realize this may be strictly off-topic here, but it seems to me to be
potentially so important to the future of Cygwin that it's worth discussing here
insted of on cygwin-talk.

Andrew

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

marco atzeri-4
On 12/04/2016 14:50, Andrew Schulman wrote:

> By now I guess most of us have seen the reports of bash, and in fact a full
> Linux userland, running natively in Windows 10:
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/29149/Microsoft_and_Canonical_partner_to_bring_Ubuntu_to_Windows_10
> http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx
> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html
>
> It's in beta release and doesn't seem to have been widely tested yet. Apparently
> Microsoft has developed an API translation layer, simliar to the Cygwin DLL, to
> make this work.  But unlike with Cygwin, Linux apps don't have to be rebuilt -
> they can run natively as-is in Windows 10. So you can get, allegedly, the full
> Linux userland out-of-the-box.
>
> The first link cited above suggests that if this is all it claims to be, it
> would remove the need for Cygwin. I can see the point.
>
> Has anyone had a chance to try this new feature?  Does it work as well as is
> claimed?
>
> I realize this may be strictly off-topic here, but it seems to me to be
> potentially so important to the future of Cygwin that it's worth discussing here
> insted of on cygwin-talk.
>
> Andrew

Before W10 became the standard it will take some time.

Considering the previous history of Microsoft with
Windows Services for UNIX (SFU) , my feeling is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeo_Danaos_et_dona_ferentes

If they really would like to port Unix on MS, it will be enough to
provide Corinna with a simple way to implement fork....

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Apr 12 14:58, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> On 12/04/2016 14:50, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> >By now I guess most of us have seen the reports of bash, and in fact a full
> >Linux userland, running natively in Windows 10:
> >
> >http://www.osnews.com/story/29149/Microsoft_and_Canonical_partner_to_bring_Ubuntu_to_Windows_10
> >http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx
> >http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html
> >
> >It's in beta release and doesn't seem to have been widely tested yet. Apparently
> >Microsoft has developed an API translation layer, simliar to the Cygwin DLL, to
> >make this work.  But unlike with Cygwin, Linux apps don't have to be rebuilt -
> >they can run natively as-is in Windows 10. So you can get, allegedly, the full
> >Linux userland out-of-the-box.
> >
> >The first link cited above suggests that if this is all it claims to be, it
> >would remove the need for Cygwin. I can see the point.
> >
> >Has anyone had a chance to try this new feature?  Does it work as well as is
> >claimed?
> >
> >I realize this may be strictly off-topic here, but it seems to me to be
> >potentially so important to the future of Cygwin that it's worth discussing here
> >insted of on cygwin-talk.
> >
> >Andrew
>

> Before W10 became the standard it will take some time.
>
> Considering the previous history of Microsoft with
> Windows Services for UNIX (SFU) , my feeling is
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeo_Danaos_et_dona_ferentes
>
> If they really would like to port Unix on MS, it will be enough to
> provide Corinna with a simple way to implement fork....
Huh, right.  If only...

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/afdf1b68-1f3e-47f5-94cf-51e397afe073/

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Philip Daniels
This new Linux subsystem does have a fork() API call somewhere in
either lxcore.sys or lxss.sys. Presumably lots of other Linux kernel
APIs as well.

It is interesting that this has popped up, though perhaps not as
unexpected as many people think. Does anybody remember that a guy from
Microsoft posted to this list last year about what it would take to
implement a Unix style PTY in the command prompt (IIRC)? They have
obviously been thinking about this for a while.

One driver is that the need for cross-platform tooling is growing with
the .Net Core project's aim to get it running on Linux. People will
not want to maintain PowerShell scripts for Windows and Bash scripts
for Linux, and since there is no chance of PowerShell running on Linux
any time soon it was perhaps inevitable that something like this would
happen.

I am going to try and get it insalled (have had some problems finding
an ISO!) just to check the speed of Magit in Emacs. It's unusably slow
in Cygwin.

--
Philip Daniels.

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

wilson
> On 2016-04-12 09:41, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> On Apr 12 14:58, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>> On 12/04/2016 14:50, Andrew Schulman wrote: By now I guess most of us
>>> have seen the reports of bash, and in fact a full Linux userland,
>>> running natively in Windows 10:
>>> http://www.osnews.com/story/29149/Microsoft_and_Canonical_partner_to_bring_Ubuntu_to_Windows_10
>>> [1]
>>> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html [3]
>>> It's in beta release and doesn't seem to have been widely tested yet.
>>> Apparently Microsoft has developed an API translation layer, simliar
>>> to the Cygwin DLL, to make this work. But unlike with Cygwin, Linux
>>> apps don't have to be rebuilt - they can run natively as-is in
>>> Windows 10. So you can get, allegedly, the full Linux userland
>>> out-of-the-box. The first link cited above suggests that if this is
>>> all it claims to be, it would remove the need for Cygwin. I can see
>>> the point. Has anyone had a chance to try this new feature? Does it
>>> work as well as is claimed? I realize this may be strictly off-topic
>>> here, but it seems to me to be potentially so important to the future
>>> of Cygwin that it's worth discussing here insted of on cygwin-talk.
>>> Andrew Before W10 became the standard it will take some time.
>>> Considering the previous history of Microsoft with Windows Services
>>> for UNIX (SFU) , my feeling is
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeo_Danaos_et_dona_ferentes [4] If
>>> they really would like to port Unix on MS, it will be enough to
>>> provide Corinna with a simple way to implement fork....

>> Huh, right. If only...

>> https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/afdf1b68-1f3e-47f5-94cf-51e397afe073/
>> [5]

>> Corinna

I don't think I'll count on Microsoft to maintain a usable Bash shell
without twerping it in some fashion so it becomes incompatible (like
they tried with numerous other products they "adopted"). The comment on
Greeks and gifts is right on target.

While Bash in Windows would be great, I just don't think Microsoft can
be trusted. I'll keep Cygwin available even after I'm forced to give up
my perfectly good Win XP OS and adopt the truly horrible Win 10 OS and
its attendant interface fiasco (yes I do miss Win 3.11 for workgroups).

In the mean time, this was funny (in case you need your mood lightened)
and very slightly on the bash topic (near the end). Hitler uses Docker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivpCKEiQOQ

Brian

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Andrew Schulman
> I don't think I'll count on Microsoft to maintain a usable Bash shell
> without twerping it in some fashion so it becomes incompatible (like
> they tried with numerous other products they "adopted"). The comment on
> Greeks and gifts is right on target.

To be clear, bash here doesn't come from Microsoft - it's not Microsoft bash.
It's Ubuntu's bash package, and all the rest of Ubuntu userland, including for
example apt-get, so you can install whatever other Ubuntu packages you want and
run them in Windows. At least in theory.

What Microsoft is providing is the Linux kernel API. Of course there's still
plenty of room for mischief or misimplementation there.

wilson writes:
> I don't think I'll count on Microsoft to maintain a usable Bash shell
> without twerping it in some fashion so it becomes incompatible (like
> they tried with numerous other products they "adopted"). The comment
> on Greeks and gifts is right on target.

Maybe you didn't read the announcement, but it's a stock Ubuntu bash
from Canonical running on a WinNT kernel subsystem aka "Personality"
that provides a Linux userspace API.

Andrew Schulman writes:
> The first link cited above suggests that if this is all it claims to be, it
> would remove the need for Cygwin. I can see the point.

It doesn't, as long as it doesn't integrate into the Windows user space
at all, like it currently seems not to.

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Eliot Moss
On 4/12/2016 1:01 PM, Andrew Schulman wrote:

>> I don't think I'll count on Microsoft to maintain a usable Bash shell
>> without twerping it in some fashion so it becomes incompatible (like
>> they tried with numerous other products they "adopted"). The comment on
>> Greeks and gifts is right on target.
>
> To be clear, bash here doesn't come from Microsoft - it's not Microsoft bash.
> It's Ubuntu's bash package, and all the rest of Ubuntu userland, including for
> example apt-get, so you can install whatever other Ubuntu packages you want and
> run them in Windows. At least in theory.
>
> What Microsoft is providing is the Linux kernel API. Of course there's still
> plenty of room for mischief or misimplementation there.

It will be interesting to see how they map identities and permissions!

Regards -- Eliot Moss

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Warren Young-2
On Apr 12, 2016, at 1:22 PM, Eliot Moss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It will be interesting to see how they map identities and permissions!

They don’t map identities at all, a fact that is clear from this presentation:

  https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/C906

They’re clearly saying that the Ubuntu world will have a completely different user set from your Windows desktop.  The inverse is clear from the fact that every native user that wants to have Ubuntu for Windows available installs their own separate copy.

This is what I meant in my previous comments about “no AD/SAM integration”.

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Andrew Schulman
> If they really would like to port Unix on MS, it will be enough to
> provide Corinna with a simple way to implement fork....

+1

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Herbert Stocker-2
On 13.04.2016 02:11, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> If they really would like to port Unix on MS, it will be enough to
>> provide Corinna with a simple way to implement fork....

But if they want to play   Embrace, Extend and Extinguish[1]
they have to do the whole thing by themselves.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

Herbert

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Herbert Stocker-2
On 12.04.2016 14:50, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> But unlike with Cygwin, Linux apps don't have to be rebuilt -
> they can run natively as-is in Windows 10.

So it's not the same thing as Cygwin, technically, it's more like a
reverse Wine.

> So you can get, allegedly, the full Linux userland out-of-the-box.

In theory yes, in practice only as far as they implemented the Linux Kernel
API correctly (be it by mistake or deliberately).

> Has anyone had a chance to try this new feature?

I'm not happy with Win10 (cause it forces updates), so i don't have
much desire to try it out.

Herbert

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Gerrit Haase

> Has anyone had a chance to try this new feature?  Does it work as well as is
> claimed?

I will try ;)

Here is how to:

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/04/howto-ubuntu-on-windows.html

Gerrit

RE: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Tony Kelman-2

>> Has anyone had a chance to try this new feature? Does it work as well as is
>> claimed?
>>

> I will try ;)
>
> Here is how to:
>
> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/04/howto-ubuntu-on-windows.html
>
> Gerrit

I've been giving it a spin. Lots of things are broken or not yet
implemented, still lots of problems at this stage. Apparently they
already have fixes for some of the issues that have been reported
at https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues but not rolled
out to users yet. In its current form it could only possibly be a
replacement for cygwin if you can get away with your only interoperation
between cygwin and win32 executables or libraries being the /cygdrive
mounted filesystem. Getting binaries straight from Ubuntu is a cool
trick and will be really convenient once enough of the syscalls are
working that you don't notice any gaps. I'd prefer a different distro's
userland if I had a choice, but maybe that'll be possible later.

-Tony

RE: native Linux userland in Windows 10

KARL BOTTS

What baffles me is, why didn't MS just arrange to support Cygwin more
directly, e.g., make a "blessed" distribution mechanism for Cygwin available
to their users?  Surely this could have been worked out: they have some sort
of "partnership" with RedHat, they claim.

I put a lengthy comment to that effect in the forum associated with that
video, after a colleague who was at the "Build Conference" in SF emailed it to
me last week.  (There may be more than one video.)

I do not think they have really considered the integration issues that Cygwin
has mostly solved.  Not just permissions, but small things like cygpath and
such utilities.  No doubt they can, but will they stick to it long enough to
make everything work?  I have my doubts.

Remember, they have tried basically the same thing at least twice before: the
"POSIX Subsystem" of WinNT, and the "Unix Tools for Windows".  Both failed and
have been abandoned.  And PowerShell is sort of another try: do you all know
that they started from the old ksh sources, somehow?  But they totally screwed
up PS, from my point of view, by making it deal primarily with binary streams
of proprietary data instead of text.  That may make it better for a former
CMD.EXE user, but it does not integrate at all with anything else.  For
instance, trying to pipe PS output into a bash script, or vice versa, is a
nightmare.  I have given up.

At the end of the day, mass Windows users just don't get the whole idea of a
shell as an integrator of software tools.  They think it is supposed to make
pretty pictures in a console emulator, as a poor substitute for a GUI.  I
suspect that will lead MS to screw up their Unix environment, to make it more
friendly to their primary user base.  Which will make it useless to me.

I could be wrong.  I'll give it a year or two to settle, and then give it a
try.  I just hope it does not interfere too much with my Cygwin setup, which I
expect to keep for the foreseeable future.

---
Karl Botts, [hidden email]

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

John Cowan-3
KARL BOTTS scripsit:

> Remember, they have tried basically the same thing at least twice
> before: the "POSIX Subsystem" of WinNT, and the "Unix Tools for Windows".

Actually, Microsoft hasn't.  The Posix subsystem never did anything
useful and was just a cynical hack to satisfy government checklists.
Must support Posix -- check.  But most limits were set as low as they
could go.  OpenNT/Interix/WSU was a third-party product, and was an
entirely separate implementation of Posix, not quite matching any existing
OS.  I ported a large proprietary Linux C++ program to it as a proof
of concept, and there were a lot of issues but it did eventually work.
The intention here is to match the Linux kernel, at least up to a point
(and nobody knows what that point is).

> I could be wrong.  I'll give it a year or two to settle, and then give it a
> try.  I just hope it does not interfere too much with my Cygwin setup, which I
> expect to keep for the foreseeable future.

It definitely doesn't affect Cygwin in any way.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        [hidden email]
"Your honour puts yourself to much trouble correcting my English and

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

Andrey Repin
Greetings, Warren Young!

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 1:22 PM, Eliot Moss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It will be interesting to see how they map identities and permissions!

> They don’t map identities at all, a fact that is clear from this presentation:

>   https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2016/C906

> They’re clearly saying that the Ubuntu world will have a completely
> different user set from your Windows desktop.  The inverse is clear from the
> fact that every native user that wants to have Ubuntu for Windows available installs their own separate copy.

> This is what I meant in my previous comments about “no AD/SAM integration”.

In other words, this is a useless bullshit?
No SSHD, no cron, no… nothing?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

John Cowan-3
Andrey Repin scripsit:

> In other words, this is a useless bullshit?
> No SSHD, no cron, no… nothing?

It's meant to be a client, not a server.  I see no reason why cron
should not work.  I'll try it and sshd when I get home tonight,
along with the icacls commands.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        [hidden email]
Most languages are dramatically underdescribed, and at least one is

Re: native Linux userland in Windows 10

John Cowan-3
Andrey Repin scripsit:

> In other words, this is a useless bullshit?
> No SSHD, no cron, no… nothing?

Because there is no Upstart, standard Ubuntu cron will not work:
"start cron" tells you that /com/ubuntu/upstart does not exist.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        [hidden email]
Clear?  Huh!  Why a four-year-old child could understand this report.

123