mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

Brent Epp
Hello,

I've been using cygwin for years with no problems.  I just updated
cygwin again and I suddenly can't get into the terminal. When I click
the cygwin icon, the window just flashes and immediately closes.

What's interesting is that I have a number of cygwin/mintty shortcuts
for SSH servers as `c:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/ssh
[hidden email]`, which work just fine. I can also get in if I run
`cygwin.bat` in `cmd`, `console2` or any other Windows command terminal.

I've tried running the latest cygwin setup, reinstalling `mintty`, and
the shortcut still fails. The shortcut is just the default target:
`C:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash --login -i`

I don't know what else to try.  What happened here and how do I fix this?

Thanks
  - Brent

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

René Berber-3
On 12/17/2019 2:58 PM, Brent Epp wrote:

> I've been using cygwin for years with no problems.  I just updated
> cygwin again and I suddenly can't get into the terminal. When I click
> the cygwin icon, the window just flashes and immediately closes.
>
> What's interesting is that I have a number of cygwin/mintty shortcuts
> for SSH servers as `c:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/ssh
> [hidden email]`, which work just fine. I can also get in if I run
> `cygwin.bat` in `cmd`, `console2` or any other Windows command terminal.
>
> I've tried running the latest cygwin setup, reinstalling `mintty`, and
> the shortcut still fails. The shortcut is just the default target:
> `C:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash --login -i`
>
> I don't know what else to try.  What happened here and how do I fix this?

Probably a problem with your bash init scripts.

Try (for the shortcut): C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe --noprofile --norc -

If that works, then start spelunking those init files (.bashrc,
.profile, /etc/{profile,bash.bashrc}).

BTW you don't need to call bash in the shortcut, mintty by default opens
bash with those parameters; but the "-" at the end is required.

HTH
--
R.Berber

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

Brent Epp
Thanks, I should mention, I did try disabling my .bashrc file and
actually my entire user directory... still didn't work.

Also, mintty tells me neither of those options are valid? These are the
options it tells me are available: https://i.imgur.com/vyMG9t6.png

Also, just a correction to my original email, the shortcut was
actually:`...mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -`

The shortcut I previously stated was something I had done as a
troubleshooting step and then pasted it into the email by mistake.

  - Brent

On 2019-12-17 17:17, René Berber wrote:

> On 12/17/2019 2:58 PM, Brent Epp wrote:
>
>> I've been using cygwin for years with no problems.  I just updated
>> cygwin again and I suddenly can't get into the terminal. When I click
>> the cygwin icon, the window just flashes and immediately closes.
>>
>> What's interesting is that I have a number of cygwin/mintty shortcuts
>> for SSH servers as `c:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/ssh
>> [hidden email]`, which work just fine. I can also get in if I run
>> `cygwin.bat` in `cmd`, `console2` or any other Windows command terminal.
>>
>> I've tried running the latest cygwin setup, reinstalling `mintty`, and
>> the shortcut still fails. The shortcut is just the default target:
>> `C:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash --login -i`
>>
>> I don't know what else to try.  What happened here and how do I fix this?
> Probably a problem with your bash init scripts.
>
> Try (for the shortcut): C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe --noprofile --norc -
>
> If that works, then start spelunking those init files (.bashrc,
> .profile, /etc/{profile,bash.bashrc}).
>
> BTW you don't need to call bash in the shortcut, mintty by default opens
> bash with those parameters; but the "-" at the end is required.
>
> HTH

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

Brent Epp
This is interesting: I have a backup copy of my cygwin installation from
2 days ago.  I restored it to another folder, made a shortcut... and it
works.

I'll have to run some diffs to double-check, but I'm pretty certain the
only thing that's changed in the past two days is that I ran the latest
installer today to update.

  - Brent

On 2019-12-17 17:36, Brent Epp wrote:

> Thanks, I should mention, I did try disabling my .bashrc file and
> actually my entire user directory... still didn't work.
>
> Also, mintty tells me neither of those options are valid? These are
> the options it tells me are available: https://i.imgur.com/vyMG9t6.png
>
> Also, just a correction to my original email, the shortcut was
> actually:`...mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -`
>
> The shortcut I previously stated was something I had done as a
> troubleshooting step and then pasted it into the email by mistake.
>
>  - Brent
>
> On 2019-12-17 17:17, René Berber wrote:
>> On 12/17/2019 2:58 PM, Brent Epp wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using cygwin for years with no problems.  I just updated
>>> cygwin again and I suddenly can't get into the terminal. When I click
>>> the cygwin icon, the window just flashes and immediately closes.
>>>
>>> What's interesting is that I have a number of cygwin/mintty shortcuts
>>> for SSH servers as `c:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/ssh
>>> [hidden email]`, which work just fine. I can also get in if I run
>>> `cygwin.bat` in `cmd`, `console2` or any other Windows command
>>> terminal.
>>>
>>> I've tried running the latest cygwin setup, reinstalling `mintty`, and
>>> the shortcut still fails. The shortcut is just the default target:
>>> `C:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash --login -i`
>>>
>>> I don't know what else to try.  What happened here and how do I fix
>>> this?
>> Probably a problem with your bash init scripts.
>>
>> Try (for the shortcut): C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe --noprofile --norc -
>>
>> If that works, then start spelunking those init files (.bashrc,
>> .profile, /etc/{profile,bash.bashrc}).
>>
>> BTW you don't need to call bash in the shortcut, mintty by default opens
>> bash with those parameters; but the "-" at the end is required.
>>
>> HTH
>

> --
> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

René Berber-3
On 12/17/2019 6:55 PM, Brent Epp wrote:

Yep, I messed up, those options were for bash, not for minnty.

> This is interesting: I have a backup copy of my cygwin installation from
> 2 days ago.  I restored it to another folder, made a shortcut... and it
> works.
>
> I'll have to run some diffs to double-check, but I'm pretty certain the
> only thing that's changed in the past two days is that I ran the latest
> installer today to update.

Interesting.  I have fully updated cygwin 64 bits, and no problem;
Windows 10 Pro/64-bit also up to date.

My actual shortcut only sets the window size (and that is a minnty option :)

        C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -p 80,600 -
--
R.Berber

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

[Please don't top-post on this list.]

On 12/17/2019 7:55 PM, Brent Epp wrote:
> This is interesting: I have a backup copy of my cygwin installation from 2 days
> ago.  I restored it to another folder, made a shortcut... and it works.
>
> I'll have to run some diffs to double-check, but I'm pretty certain the only
> thing that's changed in the past two days is that I ran the latest installer
> today to update.

It sounds like something went wrong with your update.  Maybe someone can spot
the problem if you send your cygcheck output as requested here:

   http://cygwin.com/problems.html

"Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as *an attachment*
in your report. Please do not compress or otherwise encode the output. Just
attach it as a straight text file so that it can be easily viewed."

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

Thomas Wolff

Am 18.12.2019 um 01:55 schrieb Brent Epp:
> This is interesting: I have a backup copy of my cygwin installation
> from 2 days ago.  I restored it to another folder, made a shortcut...
> and it works.
>
> I'll have to run some diffs to double-check, but I'm pretty certain
> the only thing that's changed in the past two days is that I ran the
> latest installer today to update.
Which packages did you update? What are the versions, in the working
previous version, of cygwin, mintty, and perhaps bash?

>  - Brent
>
> On 2019-12-17 17:36, Brent Epp wrote:
>> Thanks, I should mention, I did try disabling my .bashrc file and
>> actually my entire user directory... still didn't work.
>>
>> Also, mintty tells me neither of those options are valid? These are
>> the options it tells me are available: https://i.imgur.com/vyMG9t6.png
>>
>> Also, just a correction to my original email, the shortcut was
>> actually:`...mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -`
>>
>> The shortcut I previously stated was something I had done as a
>> troubleshooting step and then pasted it into the email by mistake.
>>
>>  - Brent

>>> Probably a problem with your bash init scripts.
>>>
>>> Try (for the shortcut): C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe --noprofile --norc -
>>>
>>> If that works, then start spelunking those init files (.bashrc,
>>> .profile, /etc/{profile,bash.bashrc}).
>>>
>>> BTW you don't need to call bash in the shortcut, mintty by default
>>> opens
>>> bash with those parameters; but the "-" at the end is required.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>

>> --
>> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
>> Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html

> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

Takashi Yano
On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 14:58:56 -0600
Brent Epp wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been using cygwin for years with no problems.  I just updated
> cygwin again and I suddenly can't get into the terminal. When I click
> the cygwin icon, the window just flashes and immediately closes.
>
> What's interesting is that I have a number of cygwin/mintty shortcuts
> for SSH servers as `c:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/ssh
> [hidden email]`, which work just fine. I can also get in if I run
> `cygwin.bat` in `cmd`, `console2` or any other Windows command terminal.
>
> I've tried running the latest cygwin setup, reinstalling `mintty`, and
> the shortcut still fails. The shortcut is just the default target:
> `C:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash --login -i`
>
> I don't know what else to try.  What happened here and how do I fix this?

Does anything change if the registry value ForceV2 is set to 0 under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console? This disables the pseudo console feature.

Note: Do not forget to revert the registry value.

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

Brent Epp
Thanks, but I'm still on Windows 7, so this has no effect.

  - Brent

On 2019-12-18 05:24, Takashi Yano wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 14:58:56 -0600
> Brent Epp wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been using cygwin for years with no problems.  I just updated
>> cygwin again and I suddenly can't get into the terminal. When I click
>> the cygwin icon, the window just flashes and immediately closes.
>>
>> What's interesting is that I have a number of cygwin/mintty shortcuts
>> for SSH servers as `c:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/ssh
>> [hidden email]`, which work just fine. I can also get in if I run
>> `cygwin.bat` in `cmd`, `console2` or any other Windows command terminal.
>>
>> I've tried running the latest cygwin setup, reinstalling `mintty`, and
>> the shortcut still fails. The shortcut is just the default target:
>> `C:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash --login -i`
>>
>> I don't know what else to try.  What happened here and how do I fix this?
> Does anything change if the registry value ForceV2 is set to 0 under
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console? This disables the pseudo console feature.
>
> Note: Do not forget to revert the registry value.

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

Andrey Repin
Greetings, Brent Epp!

> I've been using cygwin for years with no problems.  I just updated
> cygwin again and I suddenly can't get into the terminal. When I click
> the cygwin icon, the window just flashes and immediately closes.

> What's interesting is that I have a number of cygwin/mintty shortcuts
> for SSH servers as `c:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/ssh
> [hidden email]`, which work just fine. I can also get in if I run
> `cygwin.bat` in `cmd`, `console2` or any other Windows command terminal.

> I've tried running the latest cygwin setup, reinstalling `mintty`, and
> the shortcut still fails. The shortcut is just the default target:
> `C:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash --login -i`

> I don't know what else to try.  What happened here and how do I fix this?

I'd suggest running `rebase-trigger full`, closing all Cygwin
programs/services, and running setup again as a first attempt to resolve it.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

Brent Epp
Hello Andrey,

The way I ended up "solving" this is by restoring a backup of cygwin I
had from a few weeks ago.  Almost nothing had changed with my working
files, so I considered it good enough and called it a day.

However, I kept a copy of the failed/corrupted install and put it in a
VM so I can continue to diagnose the failure.  Interestingly, it
exhibits the same failure within the VM, so now we know it's not
something within the specific Windows environment.  Also worth noting,
the host environment is Windows 7, the VM guest is Windows 10.

I took your suggestion and ran `rebase-trigger full`, closed cygwin
windows, and re-ran setup.  It has not resolved the problem, unfortunately.

  - Brent

On 2019-12-21 08:31, Andrey Repin wrote:

> Greetings, Brent Epp!
>
>> I've been using cygwin for years with no problems.  I just updated
>> cygwin again and I suddenly can't get into the terminal. When I click
>> the cygwin icon, the window just flashes and immediately closes.
>> What's interesting is that I have a number of cygwin/mintty shortcuts
>> for SSH servers as `c:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/ssh
>> [hidden email]`, which work just fine. I can also get in if I run
>> `cygwin.bat` in `cmd`, `console2` or any other Windows command terminal.
>> I've tried running the latest cygwin setup, reinstalling `mintty`, and
>> the shortcut still fails. The shortcut is just the default target:
>> `C:\path\to\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash --login -i`
>> I don't know what else to try.  What happened here and how do I fix this?
> I'd suggest running `rebase-trigger full`, closing all Cygwin
> programs/services, and running setup again as a first attempt to resolve it.

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

Jay Goldman
I think my problem applies to this thread.
(I'm unclear how to reply to an entry in the mailing list archive)

all cygwin commands stopped working for me, too.
(i have been using cygwin for many years, it has been running on my windows 10 system for as long as windows 10 has been available)
so, i recovered a version of the bin folder from a few days ago, and all is working. (note, i only had to recover the bin folder, i did not have to recover the lib, etc, or var folders)

not sure if i ran cygcheck correctly - i ran it from a cmd window in a non-cygwin folder (this is newcheck.out)
so i ran  it again (badcheck.out) while working dir is \bin.bad (my 'bad' version of \bin folder)
NOTE: i changed the user name changed to XXXX)

Before backing up the bin folder, the situation was:
When i run cmd window and try anything in cygwin bin folder i get (bash.exe is just an example) (except for cygcheck :-)
C:\newbin>bash.exe -i
      0 [main] bash (1588) C:\newbin\bash.exe: *** fatal error - add_item ("\??\C:", "/", ...) failed, errno 22

This also happens with bat scripts i have been using for many years to start xwindows or just a terminal window.

It appears, i think, to be a problem with setup (or maybe an interaction with some recent windows 10 update?),
since when i run setup-x86_64.exe, i get the following in /var/log/setup.log:

2019/12/21 13:48:56 Starting cygwin install, version 2.897
2019/12/21 13:48:56 User has backup/restore rights
2019/12/21 13:48:56 Current Directory: K:\installation_disks\cygwin64
2019/12/21 13:48:56 Could not open service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may not be installed, or we don't have access.
2019/12/21 13:49:01 source: network install
2019/12/21 13:49:02 root: C:\ system
2019/12/21 13:49:03 Selected local directory: K:\installation_disks\cygwin64
2019/12/21 13:49:04 net: Direct
2019/12/21 13:49:06 site: http://mirror.clarkson.edu/cygwin/
2019/12/21 13:49:06 HTTP status 404 fetching http://mirror.clarkson.edu/cygwin/x86_64/setup.zst.sig
2019/12/21 13:49:06 HTTP status 404 fetching http://mirror.clarkson.edu/cygwin/x86_64/setup.zst
2019/12/21 13:49:08 solving: 0 tasks, update: yes, use test packages: no
2019/12/21 13:49:11 solving: 0 tasks, update: no, use test packages: no
2019/12/21 13:49:11 Augmented Transaction List: is empty
2019/12/21 13:49:13 Changing gid back to original
2019/12/21 13:49:13 running: C:\\bin\dash.exe "/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash"
2019/12/21 13:49:15 abnormal exit: exit code=-1073741819
2019/12/21 13:49:15 running: C:\\bin\dash.exe "/etc/postinstall/0p_texlive_prep.dash"
2019/12/21 13:49:18 abnormal exit: exit code=-1073741819
2019/12/21 13:49:18 running: C:\\bin\dash.exe "/etc/postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash"
2019/12/21 13:49:19 abnormal exit: exit code=-1073741819
2019/12/21 13:49:22 running: C:\\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/bash.sh"
2019/12/21 13:49:23 abnormal exit: exit code=256
2019/12/21 13:49:23 running: C:\\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/cygwin-doc.sh"
2019/12/21 13:49:26 abnormal exit: exit code=256
2019/12/21 13:49:26 running: C:\\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/lyx.sh"
2019/12/21 13:49:28 abnormal exit: exit code=256
2019/12/21 13:49:28 running: C:\\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/TeXmacs.sh"
2019/12/21 13:49:29 abnormal exit: exit code=256
2019/12/21 13:49:29 running: C:\\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/zp_adwaita-icon-theme.sh"
2019/12/21 13:49:31 abnormal exit: exit code=256
2019/12/21 13:49:31 running: C:\\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/zp_desktop-file-utils.sh"
2019/12/21 13:49:33 abnormal exit: exit code=256
2019/12/21 13:49:33 running: C:\\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/zp_fontconfig_cache_1.sh"
2019/12/21 13:49:35 abnormal exit: exit code=256
2019/12/21 13:49:35 running: C:\\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/zp_glib2.0.sh"
2019/12/21 13:49:38 abnormal exit: exit code=256
2019/12/21 13:49:38 running: C:\\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/zp_hicolor-icon-theme.sh"
2019/12/21 13:49:40 abnormal exit: exit code=256
2019/12/21 13:49:40 running: C:\\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/zp_man-db.sh"
2019/12/21 13:49:42 abnormal exit: exit code=256
2019/12/21 13:49:42 running: C:\\bin\dash.exe "/etc/postinstall/zp_octave_finish.dash"
2019/12/21 13:49:44 abnormal exit: exit code=-1073741819
2019/12/21 13:49:44 running: C:\\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/zp_shared-mime-info.sh"
2019/12/21 13:49:47 abnormal exit: exit code=256
2019/12/21 13:49:47 running: C:\\bin\dash.exe "/etc/postinstall/zp_texlive_finish.dash"
2019/12/21 13:49:49 abnormal exit: exit code=-1073741819
2019/12/21 13:49:50 Changing gid to Administrators
2019/12/21 13:49:56 note: Nothing needed to be installed
2019/12/21 13:49:56 Ending cygwin install

newcheck.out (116K) Download Attachment
badcheck.out (704K) Download Attachment

Re: mintty window flashes open and immediately closes

Jay Goldman
FWIW, this problem has disappeared with the latest setup.exe.
There are no more errors during postinstall and AFAICT everything is working.