lpr sends a file to my printer but it just sits there in the print queue

lpr sends a file to my printer but it just sits there in the print queue

Michael Coulter
I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 with Cygwin (see attached cygcheck.out).

The lpr command is sending my file to the printer, but it never prints.
It just sits in the Windows print queue with status "Sent to printer".

e.g.:
/usr/bin/lpr -d "ET-4500" xx.txt

If I print something else with say, Word, that document gets printed
while the lpr job still sits there.

My printer is an Epson ET-4500.

It seems that somehow Windows or the printer needs to be told that the
job is complete and can be printed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael Coulter

cygcheck.out (69K) Download Attachment

Re: lpr sends a file to my printer but it just sits there in the print queue

Brian Inglis
On 2020-01-07 13:10, Michael Coulter wrote:

> I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 with Cygwin (see attached cygcheck.out).
>
> The lpr command is sending my file to the printer, but it never prints.  It
> just sits in the Windows print queue with status "Sent to printer".
>
> e.g.:
> /usr/bin/lpr -d "ET-4500" xx.txt
>
> If I print something else with say, Word, that document gets printed while
> the lpr job still sits there.
>
> My printer is an Epson ET-4500.
>
> It seems that somehow Windows or the printer needs to be told that the job
> is complete and can be printed.
>
> Any suggestions?

Are the Windows printer components to support LPR and LPD installed from Windows
setup and configured for that printer?

Re: lpr sends a file to my printer but it just sits there in the print queue

Andrey Repin
Greetings, Michael Coulter!

> I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 with Cygwin (see attached cygcheck.out).

> The lpr command is sending my file to the printer, but it never prints.
> It just sits in the Windows print queue with status "Sent to printer".

> e.g.:
> /usr/bin/lpr -d "ET-4500" xx.txt

> If I print something else with say, Word, that document gets printed
> while the lpr job still sits there.

> My printer is an Epson ET-4500.

> It seems that somehow Windows or the printer needs to be told that the
> job is complete and can be printed.

> Any suggestions?

Try Windows's LPR utility.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: lpr sends a file to my printer but it just sits there in the print queue

Michael Coulter
Thanks for the suggestions.

With the help of the directions here:
https://www.itg.ias.edu/content/connect-network-printer-lpr-windows10

I was able to set up a printer port that works with /usr/bin/lpr -d
PORT_NAME some_file.txt

No idea why the normal Windows printer did not work, as that has worked
in the past.

-- Michael Coulter