libssh2 1.8.0, 1.8.1-20181201(test)

Heavenly Avenger
Hello!

The libssh2 (www.libssh2.org) package is way out of date in cygwin repo
and no test/unstable available. I was frustrated with this and went down
the trouble to build it myself.

I can't commit to become a permanent package maintainer but I'm sharing
with you the cygport and package files in case somebody wants to update
the official cygwin repositories.

I have built two package sets: libssh2-1.8.0 (which includes the same
1.7.0's _1 and -devel subsets) and also libssh2-1.8.1-20181201 off
latest daily from libssh.org. I needed public key compatibility with
modern OpenSSH implementations, which was also absent from the 1.8.0
release.

The cygport files for both package sets is at:
https://avenger.ws/cygwin/cygport.

I built the packages and, in an attempt to follow the packages
contribution guide
(https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html), also am
providing them here:

https://avenger.ws/cygwin/x86_64/libssh2/

I have manually added "test:" lines to 1.8.1-20181201 with the following
script, because I believe this is the only way to tag packages as
test/unstable:

----

#!/bin/bash
echo -n "Appending 'test:' to hint files: "
for hintfile in $(find */dist -name '*.hint' -type f); do
  if [ -z "$(egrep "^test:" "${hintfile}")" ]; then
   echo -n "."
   echo "test:" >> "${hintfile}"
  else
   echo -n ","
  fi
done
echo " done."
----

I just run this right after assembling the unstable package. As for what
I could find in the mailing list archives, this is a manual process, and
as the thread I found about it was somewhat recent (2017), I believe
this is still not something supported in the cygport files. The test
version is built with libssh2's debugging trace() enabled.

Hope this is a welcome contribution for the cygwin community!

p.s.: maybe libssh2 still has a maintainer around, so just letting them
know, I could build it without any patch, so it should be easy to update.

Re: libssh2 1.8.0, 1.8.1-20181201(test)

Ken Brown-6
On 12/1/2018 5:48 PM, Heavenly Avenger wrote:
> I have manually added "test:" lines to 1.8.1-20181201 with the following script,
> because I believe this is the only way to tag packages as test/unstable:

Use 'cygport foo.cygport pkg-test' instead of 'cygport foo.cygport pkg'.

On 12/1/2018 9:17 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 12/1/2018 5:48 PM, Heavenly Avenger wrote:
>> I have manually added "test:" lines to 1.8.1-20181201 with the following script,
>> because I believe this is the only way to tag packages as test/unstable:
> Use 'cygport foo.cygport pkg-test' instead of 'cygport foo.cygport pkg'.
>
> Ken

Thank you! Divines bless your kind heart!

Puns aside, I've just re-generated the 1.8.1 test package with:

cygport libssh2.cygport prep compile install package-test

And re-uploaded them to the link in the original email
(https://avenger.ws/cygwin/x86_64/libssh2)

I simply had no idea I could do that, and unfortunately the puny search
attempts I made didn't return this possibility.

Re: libssh2 1.8.0, 1.8.1-20181201(test)

cyg Simple
On 12/1/2018 7:02 PM, Heavenly Avenger wrote:

> On 12/1/2018 9:17 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 12/1/2018 5:48 PM, Heavenly Avenger wrote:
>>> I have manually added "test:" lines to 1.8.1-20181201 with the
>>> following script,
>>> because I believe this is the only way to tag packages as test/unstable:
>> Use 'cygport foo.cygport pkg-test' instead of 'cygport foo.cygport pkg'.
>>
>> Ken
>

> Thank you! Divines bless your kind heart!
>
> Puns aside, I've just re-generated the 1.8.1 test package with:
>
> cygport libssh2.cygport prep compile install package-test
>
> And re-uploaded them to the link in the original email
> (https://avenger.ws/cygwin/x86_64/libssh2)
>
> I simply had no idea I could do that, and unfortunately the puny search
> attempts I made didn't return this possibility.

The cygport usage strings give you package-test as an option.  To see
the usage strings you most always usage --help to see it or sometimes
just executing the program incorrectly will give you the usage.  In this
case either:

cygport --help
OR
cygport