libntl binaries not portable

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

libntl binaries not portable

Cygwin list mailing list
Hello,

(and attn: Marco Atzeri)

I use Cygwin's libntl package in my software, and some users are
reporting illegal instruction errors which appear to be coming from
Cygwin's NTL, which was built with native optimizations enabled.

It should probably be configured with

./configure NATIVE=off

while possibly still selecting at least some arch-specific
optimizations, such as CXXFLAGS=-mavx.

I haven't figured out exactly which features these users' CPUs are
missing but I've seen problems in the past with the PCLMUL
instructions.

Thanks,
Madison
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libntl binaries not portable

Cygwin list mailing list
On 31.12.2020 12:14, E. Madison Bray via Cygwin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> (and attn: Marco Atzeri)
>
> I use Cygwin's libntl package in my software, and some users are
> reporting illegal instruction errors which appear to be coming from
> Cygwin's NTL, which was built with native optimizations enabled.
>
> It should probably be configured with
>
> ./configure NATIVE=off
>
> while possibly still selecting at least some arch-specific
> optimizations, such as CXXFLAGS=-mavx.
>
> I haven't figured out exactly which features these users' CPUs are
> missing but I've seen problems in the past with the PCLMUL
> instructions.
>
> Thanks,
> Madison

Hi Madison
Noted.

I will look to rebuild the package.

Regards
Marco

--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libntl binaries not portable

Cygwin list mailing list
On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 12:43 PM Marco Atzeri wrote:

>
> On 31.12.2020 12:14, E. Madison Bray via Cygwin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > (and attn: Marco Atzeri)
> >
> > I use Cygwin's libntl package in my software, and some users are
> > reporting illegal instruction errors which appear to be coming from
> > Cygwin's NTL, which was built with native optimizations enabled.
> >
> > It should probably be configured with
> >
> > ./configure NATIVE=off
> >
> > while possibly still selecting at least some arch-specific
> > optimizations, such as CXXFLAGS=-mavx.
> >
> > I haven't figured out exactly which features these users' CPUs are
> > missing but I've seen problems in the past with the PCLMUL
> > instructions.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Madison
>
> Hi Madison
> Noted.
>
> I will look to rebuild the package.
>
> Regards
> Marco

Awesome, thank you!  And no urgency on my part.  Have a happy new year!
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libntl binaries not portable

Cygwin list mailing list
On 31.12.2020 13:03, E. Madison Bray wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 12:43 PM Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>
>> On 31.12.2020 12:14, E. Madison Bray via Cygwin wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> (and attn: Marco Atzeri)
>>>
>>> I use Cygwin's libntl package in my software, and some users are
>>> reporting illegal instruction errors which appear to be coming from
>>> Cygwin's NTL, which was built with native optimizations enabled.
>>>

>>
>> Hi Madison
>> Noted.
>>
>> I will look to rebuild the package.
>>
>> Regards
>> Marco
>
> Awesome, thank you!  And no urgency on my part.  Have a happy new year!

rebuilt as ntl-10.5.0-2 with

CXXFLAGS=-mavx NATIVE=off PREFIX=/usr SHARED=on NTL_GMP_LIP=on


Regards
Marco
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libntl binaries not portable

Brian Inglis
On 2020-12-31 11:13, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
> On 31.12.2020 13:03, E. Madison Bray wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 12:43 PM Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>> On 31.12.2020 12:14, E. Madison Bray via Cygwin wrote:
>>>> I use Cygwin's libntl package in my software, and some users are
>>>> reporting illegal instruction errors which appear to be coming from
>>>> Cygwin's NTL, which was built with native optimizations enabled.

>>> Noted.
>>> I will look to rebuild the package.

>> Awesome, thank you!  And no urgency on my part.  Have a happy new year!

> rebuilt as ntl-10.5.0-2 with
>
> CXXFLAGS=-mavx NATIVE=off PREFIX=/usr SHARED=on NTL_GMP_LIP=on

Will break on pre-2011 CPUs; Intel Sandy Bridge, AMD Bulldozer first with AVX:
Intel Core i3-9 work, Pentium and Celeron don't; AMD Bobcat and earlier don't.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.
[Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libntl binaries not portable

Achim Gratz
Brian Inglis writes:
>> rebuilt as ntl-10.5.0-2 with
>> CXXFLAGS=-mavx NATIVE=off PREFIX=/usr SHARED=on NTL_GMP_LIP=on
>
> Will break on pre-2011 CPUs; Intel Sandy Bridge, AMD Bulldozer first with AVX:
> Intel Core i3-9 work, Pentium and Celeron don't; AMD Bobcat and earlier don't.

Plus it's fused off on several later SKU that in principle have an AVX
unit.


Regards.
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf Q+, Q and microQ:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple