headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

marco atzeri-4
Hi All,
I have recently released Octave 5.1.0

https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2020-01/msg00010.html
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2020-01/msg00011.html

that I built and packaged around 28 of December without
any compilation and test issue.

Than I passed to build the next version and started to see
unexpected segfault during the package test.
Trying to investigate I rebuilt the 5.1.0 and now I see also
there the same thing:

   libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst
...............................fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault
-- stopping myself...
/bin/sh: line 1:  3771 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /bin/sh
../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history -p
/cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/build/test/mex
/cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test/fntests.m
/cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test
make[3]: *** [Makefile:31176: check-local] Error 139


I do not see any new cygwin package released in the last month that I
installed that could cause the simple file tests to fail

%!test
%! f = tempname ();
%! fid = fopen (f, "w+");
%! fprintf (fid, "1\n2\n3\n4\n5\n6");
%! fseek (fid, 0, "bof");
%! c = textscan (fid, "%f %f", 2);   <- here comes the segfault

I also tried the cygwin release 3.1.1 and 2020-01-14 snapshot
in addition to the 3.1.2 to see if something different was
coming with no difference in the outcome.

Now I am seriously thinking about BLODA, but I have not
noted any difference from the two AVs I was using
Antivir and MS Defender, so I am wandering if last
update for W10 Home x64 is the culprit.

Can anyone try to rebuild the Octave package and let me know
if the segfault during test is present or not in your system ?

Be aware that build time is very long (~ 4 hours) and requires
a ton of mathematical libraries.

Any suggestion will be appreciated
Marco






--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

octave.cygport (4K) Download Attachment
octave-postinstall.patch (2K) Download Attachment
round6a.m (336 bytes) Download Attachment
round6b.m (304 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

Brian Inglis
On 2020-01-25 09:55, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have recently released Octave 5.1.0
>
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2020-01/msg00010.html
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2020-01/msg00011.html
>
> that I built and packaged around 28 of December without
> any compilation and test issue.
>
> Than I passed to build the next version and started to see
> unexpected segfault during the package test.
> Trying to investigate I rebuilt the 5.1.0 and now I see also
> there the same thing:
>
>   libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst ...............................fatal: caught
> signal Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
> /bin/sh: line 1:  3771 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /bin/sh
> ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history -p
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/build/test/mex
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test/fntests.m
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test
>
> make[3]: *** [Makefile:31176: check-local] Error 139
>
>
> I do not see any new cygwin package released in the last month that I
> installed that could cause the simple file tests to fail
>
> %!test
> %! f = tempname ();
> %! fid = fopen (f, "w+");
> %! fprintf (fid, "1\n2\n3\n4\n5\n6");
> %! fseek (fid, 0, "bof");
> %! c = textscan (fid, "%f %f", 2);   <- here comes the segfault
>
> I also tried the cygwin release 3.1.1 and 2020-01-14 snapshot
> in addition to the 3.1.2 to see if something different was
> coming with no difference in the outcome.
>
> Now I am seriously thinking about BLODA, but I have not
> noted any difference from the two AVs I was using
> Antivir and MS Defender, so I am wandering if last
> update for W10 Home x64 is the culprit.

Also what W10 feature release YYMM and/or build NNNNN are you on?

> Can anyone try to rebuild the Octave package and let me know
> if the segfault during test is present or not in your system ?
>
> Be aware that build time is very long (~ 4 hours) and requires
> a ton of mathematical libraries.
>
> Any suggestion will be appreciated

Should this discussion perhaps be handled on cygwin-apps?
We don't always want to advertise just how messy the Cygwin package making
sausage factory can be. ;^>

I believe the following Cygwin tools and libraries packages, pulled from the
package doc build dependencies, and found and filtered using apt-cyg listall, to
be sufficient, but may not all be necessary, and should be added to
octave.cygport, where it can be used as a build dependency install package list
for apt-cyg or setup:

DEPEND="autoconf automake bison flex gcc-core gcc-fortran gcc-g++ gperf gnuplot
libtool make texinfo libopenblas liblapack-devel libpcre-devel libarpack-devel
libparpack-devel libcurl-devel libfftw3-devel libfltk-devel libfontconfig-devel
libfreetype-devel libglpk-devel libgl2ps-devel libGraphicsMagick-devel
libhdf5-devel libllvm-devel libportaudio-devel libQtOpenGL4-devel libqhull-devel
libqrupdate-devel libqscintilla2-devel libqscintilla2_qt4-devel
libqscintilla2_qt5-devel libqt3-devel libsuitesparseconfig-devel
libsundials-devel zlib-devel"

Are there any changes you would make, especially for arpack, OpenGL, qt, scintilla?

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains
too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised.

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

ASSI
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-4
Marco Atzeri writes:

> Than I passed to build the next version and started to see
> unexpected segfault during the package test.
> Trying to investigate I rebuilt the 5.1.0 and now I see also
> there the same thing:
>
>   libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst
> ...............................fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault
> -- stopping myself...
> /bin/sh: line 1:  3771 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /bin/sh
> ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history -p
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/build/test/mex
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test/fntests.m
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test
> make[3]: *** [Makefile:31176: check-local] Error 139

Same thing here…

  libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst ...............................fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
/bin/sh: line 1: 33811 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /bin/sh ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history -p /mnt/share/packages/octave.x86_64/build/test/mex /mnt/share/packages/octave.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test/fntests.m /mnt/share/packages/octave.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptations for KORG EX-800 and Poly-800MkII V0.9:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#KorgSDada

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

Takashi Yano
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-4
On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 17:55:31 +0100
Marco Atzeriwrote:
>    libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst
> ...............................fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault
> -- stopping myself...
> /bin/sh: line 1:  3771 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /bin/sh
> ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history -p
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/build/test/mex
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test/fntests.m
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test
> make[3]: *** [Makefile:31176: check-local] Error 139

Does this occur when you execute
make check
in build directory?

In my environment, at least segmentation fault does not occur.
When I built octave, many of non-mandatory libraries were not
installed. This might affect.

Attached is the output of 'make check' in my environment.

Windows version: Windows 10 1909
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.592]

Cygwin version:
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.1.3(0.340/5/3) 2020-01-25 12:20 x86_64 Cygwin
(The version which is applied a few patches not accepted yet.
 Should be very close to snapshot 2020-01-24.)

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>


--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

octave-test.txt (87K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

Takashi Yano
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 11:42:28 +0900
Takashi Yano wrote:
> In my environment, at least segmentation fault does not occur.
> When I built octave, many of non-mandatory libraries were not
> installed. This might affect.

Now I added all libraries warned in config.log, and rebuilt.
Some of tests seems to fail, however, segmentation fault does not
occur in 'make check' this time too.

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>


--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

octave-test2.txt (74K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

marco atzeri-4
In reply to this post by ASSI
Am 25.01.2020 um 21:36 schrieb Achim Gratz:

> Marco Atzeri writes:
>> Than I passed to build the next version and started to see
>> unexpected segfault during the package test.
>> Trying to investigate I rebuilt the 5.1.0 and now I see also
>> there the same thing:
>>
>>    libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst
>> ...............................fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault
>> -- stopping myself...
>> /bin/sh: line 1:  3771 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /bin/sh
>> ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history -p
>> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/build/test/mex
>> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test/fntests.m
>> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test
>> make[3]: *** [Makefile:31176: check-local] Error 139
>
> Same thing here…
>
>    libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst ...............................fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
> /bin/sh: line 1: 33811 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /bin/sh ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history -p /mnt/share/packages/octave.x86_64/build/test/mex /mnt/share/packages/octave.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test/fntests.m /mnt/share/packages/octave.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test
>
>
> Regards,
> Achim.
>

Thanks,
at least I know that is not just my machine.
When I released the package was


   libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst ............................... PASS
   90/90

Regards
Marco



--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

ASSI
Marco Atzeri writes:
> at least I know that is not just my machine.
> When I released the package was
>
>
>   libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst
> ............................... PASS 90/90

Based on the test name there may be an assumption built into the code
about how the filesystem behaves that isn't guaranteed on Windows/Cygwin
or even POSIX.  If it's simply an error condition not getting checked it
should be reproducible under debugging, but you're mostly out of luck if
it's relying on a specific order or atomicity of certain operations, as
debugging will almost always serialize the execution to the point where
these types of errors do not manifest.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptation for Waldorf rackAttack V1.04R1:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

marco atzeri-4
Am 26.01.2020 um 09:05 schrieb ASSI:

> Marco Atzeri writes:
>> at least I know that is not just my machine.
>> When I released the package was
>>
>>
>>    libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst
>> ............................... PASS 90/90
>
> Based on the test name there may be an assumption built into the code
> about how the filesystem behaves that isn't guaranteed on Windows/Cygwin
> or even POSIX.  If it's simply an error condition not getting checked it
> should be reproducible under debugging, but you're mostly out of luck if
> it's relying on a specific order or atomicity of certain operations, as
> debugging will almost always serialize the execution to the point where
> these types of errors do not manifest.
>
>
> Regards,
> Achim.

the other problem of debugging is that the backtrace is trash
after the segfault and that of course Octave is a
400 Kg gorilla with all its dependencies..

I will try anyway

Thanks
Marco






--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

marco atzeri-4
In reply to this post by Takashi Yano
Am 26.01.2020 um 06:11 schrieb Takashi Yano:

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 11:42:28 +0900
> Takashi Yano wrote:
>> In my environment, at least segmentation fault does not occur.
>> When I built octave, many of non-mandatory libraries were not
>> installed. This might affect.
>
> Now I added all libraries warned in config.log, and rebuilt.
> Some of tests seems to fail, however, segmentation fault does not
> occur in 'make check' this time too.
>

interesting, what Windows system do you have ?
Mine is

Betriebssystemname:         Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Betriebssystemversion:      10.0.18363 Nicht zutreffend Build 18363

Regards
Marco

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

Takashi Yano
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 11:24:50 +0100
Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Am 26.01.2020 um 06:11 schrieb Takashi Yano:
> > On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 11:42:28 +0900
> > Takashi Yano wrote:
> >> In my environment, at least segmentation fault does not occur.
> >> When I built octave, many of non-mandatory libraries were not
> >> installed. This might affect.
> >
> > Now I added all libraries warned in config.log, and rebuilt.
> > Some of tests seems to fail, however, segmentation fault does not
> > occur in 'make check' this time too.
> >
>
> interesting, what Windows system do you have ?
> Mine is
>
> Betriebssystemname:         Microsoft Windows 10 Home
> Betriebssystemversion:      10.0.18363 Nicht zutreffend Build 18363

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.592]

gcc version: 7.4.0

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

marco atzeri-4
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-4
Am 26.01.2020 um 09:38 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

> Am 26.01.2020 um 09:05 schrieb ASSI:
>> Marco Atzeri writes:
>>> at least I know that is not just my machine.
>>> When I released the package was
>>>
>>>
>>>    libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst
>>> ............................... PASS 90/90
>>
>> Based on the test name there may be an assumption built into the code
>> about how the filesystem behaves that isn't guaranteed on Windows/Cygwin
>> or even POSIX.  If it's simply an error condition not getting checked it
>> should be reproducible under debugging, but you're mostly out of luck if
>> it's relying on a specific order or atomicity of certain operations, as
>> debugging will almost always serialize the execution to the point where
>> these types of errors do not manifest.
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Achim.
>
> the other problem of debugging is that the backtrace is trash
> after the segfault and that of course Octave is a
> 400 Kg gorilla with all its dependencies..
>
> I will try anyway
>
> Thanks
> Marco
>
one thing that I noticed is that the old binary I released and
the new one built are behaving differently.

So whatever is the problem that you and me are seeing and that
Takashi's system seems immune is causing a difference at
compilation time in the executable:

Old binary:

octave:2> run test-round6a.m
octave:3> run test-round6b.m

New binary:

octave:1> run test-round6a.m
fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

octave:1>  run test-round6b.m
fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Can you and Takashi provide me your cygcheck.out so that I can look on
possible difference that could influence the build behaviour.

Of course I have W10 Home and Takashi a W10 Pro an that is already
a difference.

Regards
Marco


--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

test-round6a.m (286 bytes) Download Attachment
test-round6b.m (264 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

marco atzeri-4
In reply to this post by Brian Inglis
Am 25.01.2020 um 19:15 schrieb Brian Inglis:
> On 2020-01-25 09:55, Marco Atzeri wrote:

>>
>> Now I am seriously thinking about BLODA, but I have not
>> noted any difference from the two AVs I was using
>> Antivir and MS Defender, so I am wandering if last
>> update for W10 Home x64 is the culprit.
>
> Also what W10 feature release YYMM and/or build NNNNN are you on?

Betriebssystemname:                            Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Betriebssystemversion:                         10.0.18363 Nicht
zutreffend Build
  18363


>> Can anyone try to rebuild the Octave package and let me know
>> if the segfault during test is present or not in your system ?
>>
>> Be aware that build time is very long (~ 4 hours) and requires
>> a ton of mathematical libraries.
>>
>> Any suggestion will be appreciated
>
> Should this discussion perhaps be handled on cygwin-apps?
> We don't always want to advertise just how messy the Cygwin package making
> sausage factory can be. ;^>

Sausage and Beer are a serious matter here in Munich;
and both production must be clean and transparent ;-)


> I believe the following Cygwin tools and libraries packages, pulled from the
> package doc build dependencies, and found and filtered using apt-cyg listall, to
> be sufficient, but may not all be necessary, and should be added to
> octave.cygport, where it can be used as a build dependency install package list
> for apt-cyg or setup:
>
> DEPEND="autoconf automake bison flex gcc-core gcc-fortran gcc-g++ gperf gnuplot
> libtool make texinfo libopenblas liblapack-devel libpcre-devel libarpack-devel
> libparpack-devel libcurl-devel libfftw3-devel libfltk-devel libfontconfig-devel
> libfreetype-devel libglpk-devel libgl2ps-devel libGraphicsMagick-devel
> libhdf5-devel libllvm-devel libportaudio-devel libQtOpenGL4-devel libqhull-devel
> libqrupdate-devel libqscintilla2-devel libqscintilla2_qt4-devel
> libqscintilla2_qt5-devel libqt3-devel libsuitesparseconfig-devel
> libsundials-devel zlib-devel"
>
> Are there any changes you would make, especially for arpack, OpenGL, qt, scintilla?

As I mentioned it needs a ton of libraries but I built with QT5

  $ grep "libraries:" config.log
   Fortran libraries:              -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/7.4.0
-L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/7.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/lib/../lib
-L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/7.4.0/../../../../lib -L/lib/../lib
-L/usr/lib/../lib
-L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/7.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/lib
-L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/7.4.0/../../.. -lm -lsuitesparseconfig
-lgfortran -lquadmath -lcygwin -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -luser32
   Lex libraries:
   AMD libraries:                 -lamd -lsuitesparseconfig
   ARPACK libraries:              -larpack
   BLAS libraries:                -lblas
   BZ2 libraries:                 -lbz2
   CAMD libraries:                -lcamd -lsuitesparseconfig
   CARBON libraries:
   CCOLAMD libraries:             -lccolamd -lsuitesparseconfig
   CHOLMOD libraries:             -lcholmod -lsuitesparseconfig
   COLAMD libraries:              -lcolamd -lsuitesparseconfig
   CURL libraries:                -lcurl
   CXSPARSE libraries:            -lcxsparse -lsuitesparseconfig
   DL libraries:
   FFTW3 libraries:               -lfftw3_threads -lfftw3
   FFTW3F libraries:              -lfftw3f_threads -lfftw3f
   FLTK libraries:                -lfltk_gl -lfltk
   fontconfig libraries:          -lfontconfig -lfreetype
   FreeType2 libraries:           -lfreetype
   GLPK libraries:                -lglpk
   HDF5 libraries:                -lhdf5
   Java libraries:
   KLU libraries:                 -lklu -lsuitesparseconfig
   LAPACK libraries:              -llapack
   LLVM libraries:
   Magick++ libraries:            -lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick
   OpenGL libraries:              -lGL -lGLU
   PCRE libraries:                -lpcre
   PortAudio libraries:           -lportaudio -lwinmm -lm
   PTHREAD libraries:
   QHULL libraries:               -lqhull
   QRUPDATE libraries:            -lqrupdate
   Qt GUI libraries:              -lQt5Network -lQt5PrintSupport
-lQt5Help -lQt5Widgets -lQt5Gui -lQt5Sql -lQt5Xml -lQt5Core
-lqscintilla2-qt5
   Qt OpenGL libraries:           -lQt5OpenGL -lQt5Widgets -lQt5Gui
-lQt5Core
   READLINE libraries:            -lreadline
   Sndfile libraries:             -lsndfile
   SuiteSparse config libraries:  -lsuitesparseconfig
   SUNDIALS IDA libraries:        -lsundials_ida
   SUNDIALS NVECTOR libraries:    -lsundials_nvecserial
   TERM libraries:                -lncurses
   UMFPACK libraries:             -lumfpack -lamd -lsuitesparseconfig
   X11 libraries:                 -lX11
   Z libraries:                   -lz

Regards
Marco

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

Takashi Yano
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-4
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 07:45:08 +0100
Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Can you and Takashi provide me your cygcheck.out so that I can look on
> possible difference that could influence the build behaviour.

Attached.

grep -i 'libraries:' config.log

  Fortran libraries:              -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/7.4.0 -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/7.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/7.4.0/../../../../lib -L/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/7.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/lib -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/7.4.0/../../.. -lm -lsuitesparseconfig -lgfortran -lquadmath -lcygwin -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -luser32
  Lex libraries:
  AMD libraries:                 -lamd -lsuitesparseconfig
  ARPACK libraries:              -larpack
  BLAS libraries:                -lblas
  BZ2 libraries:
  CAMD libraries:                -lcamd -lsuitesparseconfig
  CARBON libraries:
  CCOLAMD libraries:             -lccolamd -lsuitesparseconfig
  CHOLMOD libraries:             -lcholmod -lsuitesparseconfig
  COLAMD libraries:              -lcolamd -lsuitesparseconfig
  CURL libraries:                -lcurl
  CXSPARSE libraries:            -lcxsparse -lsuitesparseconfig
  DL libraries:
  FFTW3 libraries:               -lfftw3_threads -lfftw3
  FFTW3F libraries:              -lfftw3f_threads -lfftw3f
  FLTK libraries:                -lfltk_gl -lfltk
  fontconfig libraries:          -lfontconfig -lfreetype
  FreeType2 libraries:           -lfreetype
  GLPK libraries:                -lglpk
  HDF5 libraries:                -lhdf5
  Java libraries:
  KLU libraries:                 -lklu -lsuitesparseconfig
  LAPACK libraries:              -llapack
  LLVM libraries:
  Magick++ libraries:            -lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick
  OpenGL libraries:              -lGL -lGLU
  PCRE libraries:                -lpcre
  PortAudio libraries:           -lportaudio -lwinmm -lm
  PTHREAD libraries:
  QHULL libraries:               -lqhull
  QRUPDATE libraries:            -lqrupdate
  Qt GUI libraries:              -lQt5Network -lQt5PrintSupport -lQt5Help -lQt5Widgets -lQt5Gui -lQt5Sql -lQt5Xml -lQt5Core
  Qt OpenGL libraries:           -lQt5OpenGL -lQt5Widgets -lQt5Gui -lQt5Core
  READLINE libraries:            -lreadline
  Sndfile libraries:             -lsndfile
  SuiteSparse config libraries:  -lsuitesparseconfig
  SUNDIALS IDA libraries:        -lsundials_ida
  SUNDIALS NVECTOR libraries:    -lsundials_nvecserial
  TERM libraries:                -lncurses
  UMFPACK libraries:             -lumfpack -lamd -lsuitesparseconfig
  X11 libraries:                 -lX11
  Z libraries:                   -lz
  Build static libraries:               no
  Build shared libraries:               yes

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>


--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

cygcheck.out (305K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

marco atzeri-4
Am 27.01.2020 um 12:33 schrieb Takashi Yano:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 07:45:08 +0100
> Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> Can you and Takashi provide me your cygcheck.out so that I can look on
>> possible difference that could influence the build behaviour.
>
> Attached.
>

Thanks Takashi,

I duplicated your installation from scratch on my W10 Home
and it fails again in the same place.

So I am now almost sure that the recent MS updates changed/broke
something in W10 Home. :-((

Assuming it does not break German systems and left immune
Japanese ones  :-?

I will try to install the same in a W10 Pro and if that
does not segfault I can try the lengthy process to compare
the object/dll/exec files to see where is the difference.


Corinna,
there are specific code differences in Cygwin DLL between
W10 Home and Pro ?

Regards
Marco



--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

Takashi Yano
On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 07:41:43 +0100
Marco Atzeri wrote:
> So I am now almost sure that the recent MS updates changed/broke
> something in W10 Home. :-((

I have tried now in Win10 Home 1909, and segmentagion fault
has occured at the same place as you.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.592]

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

ASSI
In reply to this post by ASSI
Achim Gratz writes:
> Same thing here…

Since some of the discussion revolved on Windows versions: that is on
Win10 Pro 1909, fully patched.  I no longer have a system with 1809
since the period where you could hold up the update has expired
recently.  There is an ISO image for Windows Server 2016 LTS
(essentially 1709 I think) that you can use for free for 90 days (you
can install it into a VHD and then boot that).  To (offixcially) get other Windows
versions for testing you'd either have to have the licenses or have some
sort of subscription with MSDN.  If you do have older install media or
ISO, then of course you can do the install into the VHD trick again.  A
Win 10 Pro can boot the VHD in a Hyper-V instance.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptations for Waldorf Q V3.00R3 and Q+ V3.54R2:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

marco atzeri-4
Am 28.01.2020 um 18:25 schrieb ASSI:

> Achim Gratz writes:
>> Same thing here…
>
> Since some of the discussion revolved on Windows versions: that is on
> Win10 Pro 1909, fully patched.  I no longer have a system with 1809
> since the period where you could hold up the update has expired
> recently.  There is an ISO image for Windows Server 2016 LTS
> (essentially 1709 I think) that you can use for free for 90 days (you
> can install it into a VHD and then boot that).  To (offixcially) get other Windows
> versions for testing you'd either have to have the licenses or have some
> sort of subscription with MSDN.  If you do have older install media or
> ISO, then of course you can do the install into the VHD trick again.  A
> Win 10 Pro can boot the VHD in a Hyper-V instance.
>
>
> Regards,
> Achim.
>

Ok Achim,
you destroyed my theory

I just found that my W10 Home is 1909 build 18363.592 so probably was
updated as your around mid Jan

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/

But Corporate versions have different time table and patch

the one I have is Version 1709 Build 16299.15
It seems Corporate IT is forgetting to update it at all.

May be Takashi one is also behind in update and currently free
from the new bug/behaviour.

What I found interesting is that
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1909

This release had caused problems to some AV, so may be is changing
the play in area that are causing problems also to us.

Regards
Marco

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

ASSI
Marco Atzeri writes:
> I just found that my W10 Home is 1909 build 18363.592 so probably was
> updated as your around mid Jan
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/
>
> But Corporate versions have different time table and patch

Enterprise is, yes.

> the one I have is Version 1709 Build 16299.15
> It seems Corporate IT is forgetting to update it at all.

They currently have at least three different release branches which are
supported (for the clients, server versions is yet another story).  At
my company they switched us to 1803 recently.  Going forward I think
there will be fewer supported options even for Enterprise if I read
things correctly.  But MS will have to wait out until the current
support periods end.

> This release had caused problems to some AV, so may be is changing
> the play in area that are causing problems also to us.

I still think it's a latent bug that manifests just now.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptations for Waldorf Q V3.00R3 and Q+ V3.54R2:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

Hans-Bernhard Bröker
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-4
Am 25.01.2020 um 17:55 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

>    libinterp/corefcn/file-io.cc-tst
> ...............................fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault
> -- stopping myself...
> /bin/sh: line 1:  3771 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /bin/sh
> ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history -p
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/build/test/mex
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test/fntests.m
> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/octave/prova_311_510/octave-5.1.0-2.x86_64/src/octave-5.1.0/test

> Can anyone try to rebuild the Octave package and let me know
> if the segfault during test is present or not in your system ?

The problem occurs the same way, here, running Win10 Pro 1909 fully
updated (a.k.a. Version 10.0.18363.592), no extra AntiVirus running
besides Defender.

> Be aware that build time is very long (~ 4 hours) and requires
> a ton of mathematical libraries.

The build itself completed in ~30 minutes, here ;-).  But then this is a
fresh i9, 8-core, 16-thread box.

cygport install took ages to complete, though, because objcopy takes
spectacularly long to strip those DLLs --- longer than it took to build
the whole package! And it does them one at a time.  That could profit
from some parallelization.

So while I waited, I decided to try it with the distributed octave.exe
instead.
It passes the critical tests without issue.

Next step, after cygport inst is done: run the test with the executable
in cygport's "inst" directory (to bypass libtool): Success, again!

So I tried running the test via libtool, i.e. the run-octave script.
And boom it goes.

So re-run it in gdb, via libtool (run-octave -g ...).  Still crashes,
but I didn't manage to get around the SIGSEGV handler in octave.  It
always caught the SEGV before gdb managed to get there.

So my finding, so far, would be that this is related to libtool.  Maybe
some update to Windows broke the way libtool interacts with
not-quite-finished executables...

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

Hans-Bernhard Bröker
Am 29.01.2020 um 01:02 schrieb Hans-Bernhard Bröker:

> So re-run it in gdb, via libtool (run-octave -g ...).  Still crashes,
> but I didn't manage to get around the SIGSEGV handler in octave.  It
> always caught the SEGV before gdb managed to get there.
>
> So my finding, so far, would be that this is related to libtool.  Maybe
> some update to Windows broke the way libtool interacts with
> not-quite-finished executables...

This is getting curiouser.

I was intrigued that the stackdump file written was not from 'octave'
per se, but rather 'octave-cli'.  And indeed some further experiments
shows that

../../inst/usr/bin/octave-cli-5.1.0.exe --norc --silent --no-history -p
mex ../../src/octave-5.1.0/test/fntests.m ../../src/octave-5.1.0/test

fails, while

../../inst/usr/bin/octave-5.1.0.exe --norc --silent --no-history -p mex
../../src/octave-5.1.0/test/fntests.m ../../src/octave-5.1.0/test

passes.  I don't see how 'run-octave' would end up running octave-cli,
though, unless it had been given the option '-cli'.

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

12