guile-3.0 release plan

cygwin-apps mailing list
With the release of guile-3.0.1 that builds fine on Cygwin,
I am thinking to copy the debian layout

https://packages.debian.org/sid/guile-3.0

so to obsoletes the "guile" package and have instead

guile1.8 libguile17     libguile1.8-devel
guile2.0 libguile2.0_22 libguile2.0-devel
guile2.2 libguile2.2_1  libguile2.2-devel
guile3.0 libguile3.0_1  libguile3.0-devel

this should make the life more easy during release and
during future prunig of any older version not used anymore

Of course this will cause that all programs will be versioned

         usr/bin/guild-3.0
         usr/bin/guile-3.0.exe
         usr/bin/guile-tools-3.0

Any problem with that ?

Re: guile-3.0 release plan

Brian Inglis
On 2020-03-11 13:32, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> With the release of guile-3.0.1 that builds fine on Cygwin,
> I am thinking to copy the debian layout
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/guile-3.0
> so to obsoletes the "guile" package and have instead
> guile1.8 libguile17     libguile1.8-devel
> guile2.0 libguile2.0_22 libguile2.0-devel
> guile2.2 libguile2.2_1  libguile2.2-devel
> guile3.0 libguile3.0_1  libguile3.0-devel
> this should make the life more easy during release and
> during future prunig of any older version not used anymore
> Of course this will cause that all programs will be versioned
>         usr/bin/guild-3.0
>         usr/bin/guile-3.0.exe
>         usr/bin/guile-tools-3.0
> Any problem with that ?

Will you also provide symlinks or use alternatives for backward compatibility?

Re: guile-3.0 release plan

cygwin-apps mailing list
Am 11.03.2020 um 23:02 schrieb Brian Inglis:

> On 2020-03-11 13:32, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> With the release of guile-3.0.1 that builds fine on Cygwin,
>> I am thinking to copy the debian layout
>> https://packages.debian.org/sid/guile-3.0
>> so to obsoletes the "guile" package and have instead
>> guile1.8 libguile17     libguile1.8-devel
>> guile2.0 libguile2.0_22 libguile2.0-devel
>> guile2.2 libguile2.2_1  libguile2.2-devel
>> guile3.0 libguile3.0_1  libguile3.0-devel
>> this should make the life more easy during release and
>> during future prunig of any older version not used anymore
>> Of course this will cause that all programs will be versioned
>>          usr/bin/guild-3.0
>>          usr/bin/guile-3.0.exe
>>          usr/bin/guile-tools-3.0
>> Any problem with that ?
>
> Will you also provide symlinks or use alternatives for backward compatibility?

not planned. Do we need it ?

For what I see most of the packages are already aware
of the guile instability and plan accordingly

This is coming from configure.ac of make 4.3

     guile_versions="3.0 2.2 2.0 1.8"

Re: guile-3.0 release plan

cygwin-apps mailing list
Am 12.03.2020 um 06:00 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

> Am 11.03.2020 um 23:02 schrieb Brian Inglis:
>> On 2020-03-11 13:32, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> With the release of guile-3.0.1 that builds fine on Cygwin,
>>> I am thinking to copy the debian layout
>>> https://packages.debian.org/sid/guile-3.0
>>> so to obsoletes the "guile" package and have instead
>>> guile1.8 libguile17     libguile1.8-devel
>>> guile2.0 libguile2.0_22 libguile2.0-devel
>>> guile2.2 libguile2.2_1  libguile2.2-devel
>>> guile3.0 libguile3.0_1  libguile3.0-devel
>>> this should make the life more easy during release and
>>> during future prunig of any older version not used anymore
>>> Of course this will cause that all programs will be versioned
>>>          usr/bin/guild-3.0
>>>          usr/bin/guile-3.0.exe
>>>          usr/bin/guile-tools-3.0
>>> Any problem with that ?
>>
>> Will you also provide symlinks or use alternatives for backward
>> compatibility?
>>

> not planned. Do we need it ?
>
> For what I see most of the packages are already aware
> of the guile instability and plan accordingly
>
> This is coming from configure.ac of make 4.3
>
>      guile_versions="3.0 2.2 2.0 1.8"

I am testing a "alternatives" implementation for at list

3.0.1 amd 2.2.7

that I will deploy together.
I am copying the scheme used by "unison" as base line