gimp crashes due to libSDL1.2_0 problem

Ken Brown-6
gimp crashes for me during its initialization when it is querying
plugins.  Running it under gdb shows that the crash occurs when gimp
(via g_spawn_async) tries to fork a subprocess to run a plugin.

Rather than try to debug this further, I decided to build the latest
gimp (2.10.0).  With this version of gimp, I get the error

   child_info_fork::abort: unable to map
C:\cygwin64\bin\cygSDL-1-2-0.dll, Win32 error 1114

at the same point instead of an immediate crash.  Running gimp under
strace produced the error message "fork: child 9396 - died waiting for
dll loading, errno 11" instead of the "unable to map..." message.

Since cygSDL-1-2-0.dll is brought in via a libgegl package, I rebuilt
the latter without SDL support, and that worked around the problem: gimp
now finishes its initialization with no errors.

Note that the "unable to map..." error was recently reported for
cygSDL2-2-0-0.dll in a different context:

At this point I'm stuck.  I don't know what would cause the "unable to
map..." error.  Could it be something as simple as the libSDL* packages
missing some dependencies?  I noticed that 'cygcheck
/usr/bin/cygSDL-1-2-0.dll' shows no dependencies on Cygwin DLLs other
than cygwin1.dll; all the dependencies of libSDL1.2_0 were added
manually in the cygport file.

cygcheck output is attached.

cygcheck.out (317K) Download Attachment

Re: gimp crashes due to libSDL1.2_0 problem

Yaakov Selkowitz

https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures

On 5/18/2018 4:49 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2018-05-18 13:14, Ken Brown wrote:
>> gimp crashes for me during its initialization when it is querying
>> plugins.  Running it under gdb shows that the crash occurs when gimp
>> (via g_spawn_async) tries to fork a subprocess to run a plugin.
>
> https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures

This doesn't seem like the standard kind of fork failure that's fixed by
rebasing.  For one thing, I'm on 64-bit Cygwin.  For another thing, the
error message doesn't refer to being unable to remap a DLL to the same
address as in the parent.

In any case, I did a full rebase, which didn't help.  I also manually
rebased the problematic DLL cygSDL-1-2-0.dll to an address below the
previously lowest base address of a Cygwin DLL, and that didn't help either.

I think there's something else going on.  It would help if some other
people would try to reproduce the problem.  [I assume you already tried.]