getclip and cygutils and cygcheck

Nellis, Kenneth-3
The Cygwin Search page...

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=getclip.exe

...indicates that getclip is in cygutils-1.4.12-1 but I've
updated ...

$ cygcheck -c cygutils
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cygutils             1.4.12-2       OK
$

That explains, maybe, why I don't have getclip anymore since
my recent update:

$ type getclip
-bash: type: getclip: not found
$

I know things got moved around w.r.t. cygutils recently, but
where is getclip?

Generating cygcheck output, I get an error:

$ cygcheck -svr > cygcheck.out.txt

cygcheck: Wrong architecture. Only ix86 executables supported.
$

Attached nonetheless: cygcheck.out.txt

--Ken Nellis

cygcheck.out.txt (47K) Download Attachment

RE: getclip and cygutils and cygcheck

Nellis, Kenneth-3
(Several attempts here. Got my address blocked somehow.
Sorry if duplicates appear. Not my day.)

Sorry for the noise...getclip is in cygutils-extra (duh!),
but the cygcheck error is still interesting maybe.

--KN

[...]

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Jun 12 15:21, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> (Several attempts here. Got my address blocked somehow.
> Sorry if duplicates appear. Not my day.)
>
> Sorry for the noise...getclip is in cygutils-extra (duh!),
> but the cygcheck error is still interesting maybe.

Nothing to worry about.  Cygcheck prints that when it finds a non-32 bit
binary, like cyglsa64.dll.

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 03:21:09PM +0000, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
>(Several attempts here. Got my address blocked somehow.

You were not blocked.  You were using raw email addresses in the body of
your message and not reading the bounce message which apprised you of
that fact.

Re: getclip and cygutils and cygcheck

Thomas Wolff
Am 12.06.2013 17:21, schrieb Nellis, Kenneth:
> where is getclip?
Whereever it actually is, shouldn't it be deprecated or removed since it
does not handle non-ASCII characters?
I think I already suggested a replacement once before which was a simple
shell script wrapper to /dev/clipboard.
------
Thomas

On Jun 12 21:52, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 12.06.2013 17:21, schrieb Nellis, Kenneth:
> >where is getclip?
> Whereever it actually is, shouldn't it be deprecated or removed
> since it does not handle non-ASCII characters?
> I think I already suggested a replacement once before which was a
> simple shell script wrapper to /dev/clipboard.

Good point.

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

Re: getclip and cygutils and cygcheck

Jeremy Hetzler
On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Corinna Vinschen
< ... > wrote:

> On Jun 12 21:52, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Am 12.06.2013 17:21, schrieb Nellis, Kenneth:
>> >where is getclip?
>> Whereever it actually is, shouldn't it be deprecated or removed
>> since it does not handle non-ASCII characters?
>> I think I already suggested a replacement once before which was a
>> simple shell script wrapper to /dev/clipboard.
>
> Good point.
>

> Corinna

I use getclip/putclip every day. They are the only way to reliably
move large (multi-megabyte) amounts of data from Windows programs in
and out of the clipboard. "cat /dev/clipboard" fails with "bad
address" over a certain size.

Please please keep these utilities unless there is a fully functional
replacement.

Thanks,
Jeremy Hetzler

On Jun 13 14:13, Jeremy Hetzler wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Corinna Vinschen
> < ... > wrote:
> >> Whereever it actually is, shouldn't it be deprecated or removed
> >> since it does not handle non-ASCII characters?
> >> I think I already suggested a replacement once before which was a
> >> simple shell script wrapper to /dev/clipboard.
> >
> > Good point.
> >

> > Corinna
> >

> I use getclip/putclip every day. They are the only way to reliably
> move large (multi-megabyte) amounts of data from Windows programs in
> and out of the clipboard. "cat /dev/clipboard" fails with "bad
> address" over a certain size.

What's that size?  I'm not aware of any size restriction in the current
/dev/clipboard code.  Well, there's an allocation when writing to the
clipboard, but it's only restricted by the size of the largest available
memory block in the process VM, in theory.

> Please please keep these utilities unless there is a fully functional
> replacement.

Apart from converting getclip/putclip to a script, the situation would
be *much* better, if somebody would take a heart and add UNICODE and
multibyte capability to getclip/putclip...

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 5:15 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> What's that size?  I'm not aware of any size restriction in the current
> /dev/clipboard code.  Well, there's an allocation when writing to the
> clipboard, but it's only restricted by the size of the largest available
> memory block in the process VM, in theory.

After some testing, the limit seems to be 64k. It only happens when
reading data that was copied to the clipboard by a Windows program (in
this case Excel).

Steps:
- Open attached file in Excel
- Ctrl-a to select all, ctrl-c to copy to clipboard
- Then:

582 $ getclip >out.gc

583 $ cat /dev/clipboard >out.cat
cat: /dev/clipboard: Bad address

584 $ wc /dev/clipboard
wc: /dev/clipboard: Bad address
    400   13526   65536 /dev/clipboard

585 $ ls -la out*
-rw-r--r--+ 1 jhetzler Domain Users 65536 Jun 14 23:03 out.cat
-rw-r--r--+ 1 jhetzler Domain Users 73922 Jun 14 23:03 out.gc

This is 1.7.20 on 64-bit Windows 7 and Excel 2013.

Does that help?

Yours,
Jeremy Hetzler

clipboard_data.xlsx (180K) Download Attachment

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Jeremy Hetzler wrote:
> After some testing, the limit seems to be 64k. It only happens when
> reading data that was copied to the clipboard by a Windows program (in
> this case Excel).

For a simpler testcase, open the attached file in Notepad and copy the
contents to the clipboard.

Yours,
Jeremy Hetzler

clipboard_data.txt (97K) Download Attachment

Re: getclip and cygutils and cygcheck

Arthur Tu
I can confirm this clipboard bug, though not sure about the size limit.

Am 15.06.2013 05:15, schrieb Jeremy Hetzler:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 5:15 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>> What's that size?  I'm not aware of any size restriction in the current
>> /dev/clipboard code.  Well, there's an allocation when writing to the
>> clipboard, but it's only restricted by the size of the largest available
>> memory block in the process VM, in theory.
> After some testing, the limit seems to be 64k. It only happens when
> reading data that was copied to the clipboard by a Windows program (in
> this case Excel).
This sounds pretty much like the same observation I made in
At that time, however, the problem was finally fixed, so (not yet having
checked again, sorry) could the old problem have crept in again somehow?
------
Thomas

On Jun 14 23:15, Jeremy Hetzler wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 5:15 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > What's that size?  I'm not aware of any size restriction in the current
> > /dev/clipboard code.  Well, there's an allocation when writing to the
> > clipboard, but it's only restricted by the size of the largest available
> > memory block in the process VM, in theory.
>
> After some testing, the limit seems to be 64k. It only happens when
> reading data that was copied to the clipboard by a Windows program (in
> this case Excel).
>
> Steps:
> - Open attached file in Excel
> - Ctrl-a to select all, ctrl-c to copy to clipboard
> - Then:
>
> 582 $ getclip >out.gc
>
> 583 $ cat /dev/clipboard >out.cat
> cat: /dev/clipboard: Bad address
>
> 584 $ wc /dev/clipboard
> wc: /dev/clipboard: Bad address
>     400   13526   65536 /dev/clipboard
>
> 585 $ ls -la out*
> -rw-r--r--+ 1 jhetzler Domain Users 65536 Jun 14 23:03 out.cat
> -rw-r--r--+ 1 jhetzler Domain Users 73922 Jun 14 23:03 out.gc
>
> This is 1.7.20 on 64-bit Windows 7 and Excel 2013.
>
> Does that help?

Yes, thank you.  There was an ill-conceived check for the last character
in the buffer being a high surrogate UTF-16 character.  It worked only
if the clipboard content was small enough to fit into a single read of
the application.  If it was too big, and the application had to call
read again to fetch more from the clipboard, it tried to read the
character beyond the array boundary.  I fixed that in CVS.  I'll probably
create a new developer snapshot and a 64 bit test version later today.

On Jun 17 12:16, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jun 14 23:15, Jeremy Hetzler wrote:
> > After some testing, the limit seems to be 64k. It only happens when
> > reading data that was copied to the clipboard by a Windows program (in
> > this case Excel).
> > [...]
> > 583 $ cat /dev/clipboard >out.cat
> > cat: /dev/clipboard: Bad address
> > [...]
> > Does that help?
>
> Yes, thank you.  There was an ill-conceived check for the last character
> in the buffer being a high surrogate UTF-16 character.  It worked only
> if the clipboard content was small enough to fit into a single read of
> the application.  If it was too big, and the application had to call
> read again to fetch more from the clipboard, it tried to read the
> character beyond the array boundary.  I fixed that in CVS.  I'll probably
> create a new developer snapshot and a 64 bit test version later today.

FYI, I'm just uploading a new developer snapshot 2013-06-17 to
http://cygwin.com/snapshots/, as well as a new 64 bit Cygwin test
release 1.7.21-4.  Please give one of them a try.

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

Re: getclip and cygutils and cygcheck

Ken Jackson-3
I got so dependent on getclip and putclip on Cygwin, that I added
these aliases to my universal .bashrc file so I have them on Linux:

   if [ -n "$(type -P xclip)" ]; then
       test -z "$(type -P putclip)"  && \
           alias putclip="$(type -P xclip) -sel clip -i"
       test -z "$(type -P getclip)"  && \
           alias getclip="$(type -P xclip) -sel clip -o"
   fi

-Ken

On Jun 17 14:54, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jun 17 12:16, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Jun 14 23:15, Jeremy Hetzler wrote:
> > > After some testing, the limit seems to be 64k. It only happens when
> > > reading data that was copied to the clipboard by a Windows program (in
> > > this case Excel).
> > > [...]
> > > 583 $ cat /dev/clipboard >out.cat
> > > cat: /dev/clipboard: Bad address
> > > [...]
> > > Does that help?
> >
> > Yes, thank you.  There was an ill-conceived check for the last character
> > in the buffer being a high surrogate UTF-16 character.  It worked only
> > if the clipboard content was small enough to fit into a single read of
> > the application.  If it was too big, and the application had to call
> > read again to fetch more from the clipboard, it tried to read the
> > character beyond the array boundary.  I fixed that in CVS.  I'll probably
> > create a new developer snapshot and a 64 bit test version later today.
>
> FYI, I'm just uploading a new developer snapshot 2013-06-17 to
> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/, as well as a new 64 bit Cygwin test
> release 1.7.21-4.  Please give one of them a try.

Guys?  Ping?  Any testers?

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Corinna Vinschen <...> wrote:
>> FYI, I'm just uploading a new developer snapshot 2013-06-17 to
>> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/, as well as a new 64 bit Cygwin test
>> release 1.7.21-4.  Please give one of them a try.
>
> Guys?  Ping?  Any testers?
>

> Corinna

I tested the snapshot and it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks!

Yours,
Jeremy Hetzler

On Jun 19 13:31, Jeremy Hetzler wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Corinna Vinschen <...> wrote:
> >> FYI, I'm just uploading a new developer snapshot 2013-06-17 to
> >> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/, as well as a new 64 bit Cygwin test
> >> release 1.7.21-4.  Please give one of them a try.
> >
> > Guys?  Ping?  Any testers?
> >

> > Corinna
> >

> I tested the snapshot and it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks!

Ah, thanks for testing!

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com