.exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

.exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

Angelo Graziosi

I would ask if there is an utility that transforme an .exe.stackdump
(bootstrap-emacs.exe.stackdump, for example) file in human-readable
informations.

Another ask is if, in Cygwin, is possible to produce a core dump file.

Thanks in advance,

   Angelo.

Re: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

Brian Dessent
Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> I would ask if there is an utility that transforme an .exe.stackdump
> (bootstrap-emacs.exe.stackdump, for example) file in human-readable
> informations.

You can use addr2line to resolve an address to a source file location,
as long as the binary was compiled with debug information.

> Another ask is if, in Cygwin, is possible to produce a core dump file.

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#dumper>

Brian

RE: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

Dave Korn
On 23 November 2006 09:00, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> I would ask if there is an utility that transforme an .exe.stackdump
> (bootstrap-emacs.exe.stackdump, for example) file in human-readable
> informations.

  Cut and paste the column of EIP values into "addr2line" is about the best
you'll get.

> Another ask is if, in Cygwin, is possible to produce a core dump file.

  /bin/dumper.exe

    cheers,
      DaveK

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 09:59:32AM +0100, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>I would ask if there is an utility that transforme an .exe.stackdump
>(bootstrap-emacs.exe.stackdump, for example) file in human-readable
>informations.

Yes.  It's called "cat".

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Yes.  It's called "cat".

Do you think to be fun? or that a sequence of HEX characters are
human-readable?

What do you think people thinks about you when reading these answer from
you?

  Angelo.

Re: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 23 22:07, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > Yes.  It's called "cat".
>
> Do you think to be fun? or that a sequence of HEX characters are
> human-readable?

There's nothing funny here.  The stackdump file is human-readable
and there's no more information.  If you want more information
you need a debugger and executables built with debugging information.

Re: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

Eric Blake (cygwin)

Re: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 22:43:45 +0100
> From: Corinna Vinschen <[hidden email]>
>
> On Nov 23 22:07, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> >
> > Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >
> > > Yes.  It's called "cat".
> >
> > Do you think to be fun? or that a sequence of HEX characters are
> > human-readable?
>
> There's nothing funny here.  The stackdump file is human-readable
> and there's no more information.  If you want more information
> you need a debugger and executables built with debugging information.

It really is NOT funny: it's perfectly clear what Angelo was asking
for, even though English is evidently not his first language.  Instead
of helping him, like the other 2 respondents did, Chris decided to
mock him in public -- a terribly unfriendly and unprofessional thing
to do, which doesn't add any respect to this forum.

Chris should be ashamed, and you, Corinna, shouldn't try defending
him.

Re: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

G.W. Haywood
Hi all,

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Subject: Re: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

> > > Do you think to be fun? or that a sequence of HEX characters are
> > > human-readable?
> >
> > There's nothing funny here.  The stackdump file is human-readable
> > and there's no more information.  If you want more information
> > you need a debugger and executables built with debugging information.
>
> It really is NOT funny: it's perfectly clear what Angelo was asking
> for, even though English is evidently not his first language.
> Instead of helping him, like the other 2 respondents did, Chris
> decided to mock him in public -- a terribly unfriendly and
> unprofessional thing to do, which doesn't add any respect to this
> forum.
>
> Chris should be ashamed, and you, Corinna, shouldn't try defending
> him.

Very well said.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

Charles Russell
    *   /From/: Angelo Graziosi <Angelo dot Graziosi at roma1 dot infn
      dot it>
    * /Subject/: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

I would ask if there is an utility that transforme an .exe.stackdump
(bootstrap-emacs.exe.stackdump, for example) file in human-readable
informations.

______________________

The following advice worked for me:

______________________
Re: how to read stackdump
  From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu>
  To: "Charles D. Russell"
  Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
  Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:29:02 -0400 (EDT)
  Subject: Re: how to read stackdump

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Charles D. Russell wrote:

 > Some time back, someone asked in this mailing list how to read the
stackdump
 > and was told to man addr2line.  I can't seem to get addr2line to work,
 > though.  Perhaps I don't understand the syntax, and man and info give no
 > examples.  When you type in the "address", should it be the number under
 > "Frame", the number under "Function", or what?  I have tried either and
 > both, and nothing works (I always get ??:0)  I also tried
 >
 >   addr2line -e testprog.exe <testprog.stackdump
 >
 > which gives me a whole column of ??:0.  I'm compiling with g77 using -g.
 > What am I doing wrong?

Charles,

addr2line expects addresses of functions.  It also expects its input
executables to be compiled with debugging support enabled.

Try the following:

  awk '/^[0-9]/{print $2}' testprog.exe.stackdump | addr2line -f -e
testprog.exe

If testprog.exe was compiled with the "-g" gcc flag, this should work and
give you the names of the functions *in testprog.exe*.  Functions that
came from DLLs will need a separate invocation of addr2line (I don't think
you can specify several -e targets in one command), and will require DLLs
with debugging information, AFAIK.
    Igor
--
                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_        [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'        Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL    a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 03:25:08PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 22:43:45 +0100
>>From: Corinna Vinschen <[hidden email]>

>>> Do you think to be fun? or that a sequence of HEX characters are
>>> human-readable?
>>
>>There's nothing funny here.  The stackdump file is human-readable
>>and there's no more information.  If you want more information
>>you need a debugger and executables built with debugging information.
>
>It really is NOT funny: it's perfectly clear what Angelo was asking
>for, even though English is evidently not his first language.  Instead
>of helping him, like the other 2 respondents did, Chris decided to
>mock him in public -- a terribly unfriendly and unprofessional thing
>to do, which doesn't add any respect to this forum.
>
>Chris should be ashamed, and you, Corinna, shouldn't try defending
>him.

Wow.  Nice way to escalate the issue.

http://www.google.com/search?q=define:human+readable&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition

If you look at a output of a stackdump file, it is obviously human
readable.  It is an ascii file which has English words in it.  It was
NOT clear to me that the OP had actually looked at it.

There is a difference between the term "human readable" and "I do not
understand what the numbers mean".  If the OP had said something along
the lines of "I see a lot of hexadecimal numbers but I don't know what
they are", then that would have clarified the situation.

But, this kind of response to a one sentence reply is clearly over the
top and unhelpful and just intended to fan some flames (see, I can jump
to conclusions, too).  If you are really intent on taking people to
task, then please use the cygwin-talk mailing list.

Re: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:22:42 -0500
> From: Christopher Faylor <[hidden email]>
>
> If you look at a output of a stackdump file, it is obviously human
> readable.  It is an ascii file which has English words in it.  It was
> NOT clear to me that the OP had actually looked at it.

Others obviously did understand that; you could look at the previous
messages in the thread to find their wisdom, before you posted yours.
You are not exactly a newbie in the world of mailing lists and public
discussion forums, so I'd expect you to know how this is done.

But even if you didn't or couldn't, just asking for more details would
be the Right Thing to do.

The ``cat'' reply, OTOH, can be nothing but an attempt to ridicule
someone who asked for your help, no matter how you look at it.  No
amount of misunderstanding could ever possibly explain away such a
response.

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> If you look at a output of a stackdump file, it is obviously human
> readable.  It is an ascii file which has English words in it.  It was
> NOT clear to me that the OP had actually looked at it

Why are you 'walking on the mirrors'?

They are years that we frequent these lists and we know this kind of
your answers.

Have you pherhaps forgotten that without the feedback of Cygwin people,
Cygwin would be only a simple game for you ?

It is not the first time that you 'offend' and than retract 'but I thinked
you mean...' or 'I had not read well...'.

If you re-read, I have wrote 'human-readable informations'.

It seems you are the only thinking that a sequence of HEX character are
human informations.

Why then, in the fifty, does it start the development of High level
programming languages?

The pioneers could stay with machine language!

Regards,

  A.G.

RE: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

Gary R. Van Sickle

Eli, you need to take this discussion to cygwin-talk or Faylor will ban you.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

Re: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

Mike Marchywka-2
( I'm only responding because of past issues with GUI versus
command line interfaces )
That's ok, to many people, "human readable" only means pictures.
Words may be considered "American readable" but not "human readable."
Some words may be ok if you make good use of colors and figures and fonts.
Animation helps too.

Are American SEC filings or legal documents "human readable?" The
presumption
is if you are looking at it you have some idea what it should contain.
I don't see hex as being any different from legal jargon.

There is a tendency today to think if you can point at something you
have the language skills needed to operate a computer. Fine, sometimes
that works. But, if you are going to actually do anything beyond
what other's have made for you, it helps if you understand the insides
a little better.

I don't entirely know who is looking at the stack dump and I sure haven't
followed the
rest of this thread but there is a clear distinction between text ( even if
you don't understand
it ) and "machine code" or "coded data."  Sure, if you have a symbol file
and supporting
documents you can get more information but the dump as it stands is human
readable.

I've never seen a discusion where the word "offend" has been used and
actually
have it ever produce worthwhile results.....

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 10:29:26PM +0100, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>If you look at a output of a stackdump file, it is obviously human
>>readable.  It is an ascii file which has English words in it.  It was
>>NOT clear to me that the OP had actually looked at it
>
>Why are you 'walking on the mirrors'?
>
>They are years that we frequent these lists and we know this kind of
>your answers.

Since we are now into speculations about my personality and honesty, I
think we've now moved into the realm of cygwin-talk.

I will be confining any further observations to that mailing list.
Please do the same.

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 08:36:00PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:22:42 -0500
>>From: Christopher Faylor <[hidden email]>
>>
>>Wow.  Nice way to escalate the issue.
>>
>>http://www.google.com/search?q=define:human+readable&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition
>>
>>If you look at a output of a stackdump file, it is obviously human
>>readable.  It is an ascii file which has English words in it.  It was
>>NOT clear to me that the OP had actually looked at it.
>
>Others obviously did understand that; you could look at the previous
>messages in the thread to find their wisdom, before you posted yours.
>
>You are not exactly a newbie in the world of mailing lists and public
>discussion forums, so I'd expect you to know how this is done.
>
>But even if you didn't or couldn't, just asking for more details would
>be the Right Thing to do.
>
>The ``cat'' reply, OTOH, can be nothing but an attempt to ridicule
>someone who asked for your help, no matter how you look at it.  No
>amount of misunderstanding could ever possibly explain away such a
>response.
>
>>There is a difference between the term "human readable" and "I do not
>>understand what the numbers mean".  If the OP had said something along
>>the lines of "I see a lot of hexadecimal numbers but I don't know what
>>they are", then that would have clarified the situation.
>>
>>But, this kind of response to a one sentence reply is clearly over the
>>top and unhelpful and just intended to fan some flames (see, I can jump
>>to conclusions, too).  If you are really intent on taking people to
>>task, then please use the cygwin-talk mailing list.

Once again, Eli, if you are intent on continuing this, I am asking you
to take your speculation about my motives, impropriety, or Corinna's
actions to the cygwin-talk list.  Or, you could just let this drop.

Please do me the courtesy of doing one or the other and avoiding further
discussion in this list.