error parsing setup.bz2 in setup.exe

Eric Vlach
At 8:30am PST, setup worked fine. Then at 8:50am PST, the following error
occured, and has been occuring ever since:

Cygwin's setup.exe (using a copy downloaded 1/4/2005, 9:20am) fails to load
the setup file. After selecting a mirror, it downloads the setup.bz2 file,
and upon reading it encounters an error. Message box pops up with: "(null)
line 10196: syntax error, unexpected $undefined, expecting STRING."

I tried this with a dozen different mirrors, as well as on two other
computers, with no success. Any ideas?

thanks,
-Eric

Re: error parsing setup.bz2 in setup.exe

Igor Peshansky
On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Eric Vlach wrote:

> At 8:30am PST, setup worked fine. Then at 8:50am PST, the following
> error occured, and has been occuring ever since:
>
> Cygwin's setup.exe (using a copy downloaded 1/4/2005, 9:20am) fails to
> load the setup file. After selecting a mirror, it downloads the
> setup.bz2 file, and upon reading it encounters an error. Message box
> pops up with: "(null) line 10196: syntax error, unexpected $undefined,
> expecting STRING."
>
> I tried this with a dozen different mirrors, as well as on two other
> computers, with no success. Any ideas?

Try the latest setup snapshot: <http://cygwin.com/setup/snapshots/>.
Also, did you use "IE5 settings" for your connection?  If so, try clearing
the IE cache -- you may be using a stale version of setup.bz2.

If this doesn't help, please post the content of /var/log/setup.log.full.
HTH,
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_    [hidden email] | [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

Re: error parsing setup.bz2 in setup.exe

Eric Vlach
Igor,

Earlier I was using setup.exe version 2.510.2.2. I updated and tried both
version 2.521 and 2.523, with no success. I use "Direct Connection," not IE5
settings. Are you able to repeat my error on your system?

Here is a detailed explanation of what I was doing:
I bought a new computer and need to install cygwin from scratch. The first
time I ran the setup.exe, everything worked fine, and I spent about 10
minutes going through all the modules, copying my old configuration. When I
finally had all that I wanted, I hit "next." an error came up telling me the
connection was lost. From then on, every attempt to load setup.bz2 gave me
the "...unexpected $undefined..." error. The weird thing is that on my old
computer and my co-workers computer, both having a working version of
cygwin, the same problem occurs.

Attatched is setup.log.full (not very helpful, but maybe you can find a
hint?)

>> At 8:30am PST, setup worked fine. Then at 8:50am PST, the following
>> error occured, and has been occuring ever since:
>>
>> Cygwin's setup.exe (using a copy downloaded 1/4/2005, 9:20am) fails to
>> load the setup file. After selecting a mirror, it downloads the
>> setup.bz2 file, and upon reading it encounters an error. Message box
>> pops up with: "(null) line 10196: syntax error, unexpected $undefined,
>> expecting STRING."
>>
>> I tried this with a dozen different mirrors, as well as on two other
>> computers, with no success. Any ideas?
>
> Try the latest setup snapshot: <http://cygwin.com/setup/snapshots/>.
> Also, did you use "IE5 settings" for your connection?  If so, try clearing
> the IE cache -- you may be using a stale version of setup.bz2.
>
> If this doesn't help, please post the content of /var/log/setup.log.full.
> HTH,
> Igor
> --
> http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>      |\      _,,,---,,_     [hidden email] | [hidden email]
> ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ Igor Peshansky, Ph.D. (name changed!)
>     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
>    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
> "Las! je suis sot... -Mais non, tu ne l'es pas, puisque tu t'en rends
> compte."
> "But no -- you are no fool; you call yourself a fool, there's proof enough
> in
> that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

setup.log.full (2K) Download Attachment

Re: error parsing setup.bz2 in setup.exe

Nik Martin
On 1/4/06, Eric Vlach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Igor,
>
> Earlier I was using setup.exe version 2.510.2.2. I updated and tried both
> version 2.521 and 2.523, with no success. I use "Direct Connection," not IE5
> settings. Are you able to repeat my error on your system?

I just tried to add a package using the latest cygwin setup, and also
get the exact same error message "(null) line 10196: syntax error,
unexpected $undefined,
expecting STRING."  I had just run setup 10 minutes earlier to get X,
and it worked fine.  I use firefox, and dont cache any files.

> Here is a detailed explanation of what I was doing:
> I bought a new computer and need to install cygwin from scratch. The first
> time I ran the setup.exe, everything worked fine, and I spent about 10
> minutes going through all the modules, copying my old configuration. When I
> finally had all that I wanted, I hit "next." an error came up telling me the
> connection was lost. From then on, every attempt to load setup.bz2 gave me
> the "...unexpected $undefined..." error. The weird thing is that on my old
> computer and my co-workers computer, both having a working version of
> cygwin, the same problem occurs.
>
> Attatched is setup.log.full (not very helpful, but maybe you can find a
> hint?)

Nik Martin-2
On 1/4/06, Nik Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/4/06, Eric Vlach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Igor,
> >
> > Earlier I was using setup.exe version 2.510.2.2. I updated and tried both
> > version 2.521 and 2.523, with no success. I use "Direct Connection," not IE5
> > settings. Are you able to repeat my error on your system?
> >

> I just tried to add a package using the latest cygwin setup, and also
> get the exact same error message "(null) line 10196: syntax error,
> unexpected $undefined,
> expecting STRING."  I had just run setup 10 minutes earlier to get X,
> and it worked fine.  I use firefox, and dont cache any files.

FYI, line 10196 contains the text:

@ ~netbpm

> > Here is a detailed explanation of what I was doing:
> > I bought a new computer and need to install cygwin from scratch. The first
> > time I ran the setup.exe, everything worked fine, and I spent about 10
> > minutes going through all the modules, copying my old configuration. When I
> > finally had all that I wanted, I hit "next." an error came up telling me the
> > connection was lost. From then on, every attempt to load setup.bz2 gave me
> > the "...unexpected $undefined..." error. The weird thing is that on my old
> > computer and my co-workers computer, both having a working version of
> > cygwin, the same problem occurs.
> >
> > Attatched is setup.log.full (not very helpful, but maybe you can find a
> > hint?)

FYI, line 10196 has the text:

@ ~netbpm

> > Here is a detailed explanation of what I was doing:
> > I bought a new computer and need to install cygwin from scratch. The first
> > time I ran the setup.exe, everything worked fine, and I spent about 10
> > minutes going through all the modules, copying my old configuration. When I
> > finally had all that I wanted, I hit "next." an error came up telling me the
> > connection was lost. From then on, every attempt to load setup.bz2 gave me
> > the "...unexpected $undefined..." error. The weird thing is that on my old
> > computer and my co-workers computer, both having a working version of
> > cygwin, the same problem occurs.
> >
> > Attatched is setup.log.full (not very helpful, but maybe you can find a
> > hint?)

Dave Korn
Eric Vlach wrote:
> At 8:30am PST, setup worked fine. Then at 8:50am PST, the following error
> occured, and has been occuring ever since:

  Ah, that'll be it.  Setup is a notoriously late riser, and if you try and
get it out of bed that early in the morning you shouldn't be surprised if it's
grouchy and cranky all the rest of the day.

> Cygwin's setup.exe (using a copy downloaded 1/4/2005, 9:20am) fails to
> load the setup file. After selecting a mirror, it downloads the setup.bz2
> file, and upon reading it encounters an error. Message box pops up with:
> "(null) line 10196: syntax error, unexpected $undefined, expecting
> STRING."
>
> I tried this with a dozen different mirrors, as well as on two other
> computers, with no success. Any ideas?

  Take a look at the setup.ini it downloaded, and see what's around line
10196.  The one I just downloaded from a mirror doesn't even have that many
lines, so maybe a glitch made a buggy version of it available for a little
while.

    cheers,
      DaveK

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 09:58:39AM -0800, Eric Vlach wrote:

>At 8:30am PST, setup worked fine. Then at 8:50am PST, the following error
>occured, and has been occuring ever since:
>
>Cygwin's setup.exe (using a copy downloaded 1/4/2005, 9:20am) fails to load
>the setup file. After selecting a mirror, it downloads the setup.bz2 file,
>and upon reading it encounters an error. Message box pops up with: "(null)
>line 10196: syntax error, unexpected $undefined, expecting STRING."
>
>I tried this with a dozen different mirrors, as well as on two other
>computers, with no success. Any ideas?

There was a problem with the setup.ini file on sourceware.org.  It should
be fixed now but it will take a while to propagate.

Re: error parsing setup.bz2 in setup.exe

Igor Peshansky
Ugh, top-posting.  Reformatted...

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Eric Vlach wrote:

I think this message, posted (by mistake) into a different thread, may
explain this: <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-01/msg00157.html>.
HTH,
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_    [hidden email] | [hidden email]
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ Igor Peshansky, Ph.D. (name changed!)
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

Re: error parsing setup.bz2 in setup.exe

Christopher Faylor-2
On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:46:31PM -0500, Igor Peshansky wrote:
>I think this message, posted (by mistake) into a different thread, may
>explain this: <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-01/msg00157.html>.

Or even this one, posted to the right thread:

See also:

for an unrelated topic.