cygwin service not starting

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

cygwin service not starting

mshrak
This post was updated on .
Hi guys,

I`ve trying to install  cygwin on my Desktop Pc andii follewed every step to install it right.
Still i can`t get the service to work.
When i type   $USERNAME@127.0.0.1 i always get a connection to port 22 refuse.

But after double klicking the icon i get the black screen with in green lettters; xxxxx@xxxx
~

Can somebody help me what im doing wrong here please.

I need the stuff working to conect with Putty from my work to get Eve running.

Thanks already hopefully somebody can help me out here.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cygwin service not starting

One Angry User
On a windy and rainy Wednesday, the 18th day of January, in the year 2006, mshrak's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes (which was then transmitted through Nabble.com):

> Hi guys,

And gals!  Don't forget the gals!

> I`ve trying to install cygwin on my Desktop Pc andii follewed every step
> to install it right.

Ah, but how many times did you reinstall it?  You need to reinstall at
least ten times for things to work properly; twenty if you want cron or
ssh...

> Still i can`t get the service to work.
> When i type $USERNAME@127.0.0.1 i always get a connection to port 22
> refuse.

Ooh, the service!  The service doesn't just work for anyone.  The service
is only for the president.  That's why it's secretly called "the secret
service".

> But after double klicking the icon i get the black screen with in green
> lettters; xxxxx@xxxx
> ~

Don't worry -- that's the Cygwin screensaver.  Just leave it on your
screen for a while, and close the window when you get tired of it.

> Can somebody help me what im doing wrong here please.

For one, you are posting to the wrong list.  You are not likely to get
anything but hippos and reinstall suggestions from this list.  Any other
suggestions you get should be taken with a bag of salt (a grain just will
not cut it).

> I need the stuff working to conect with Putty from my work to get Eve
> running.

Ah, there's a gal if I know one.  I'd say the words "shoe shopping" will
serve much better to get Eve running (towards a shoe store, that is)...
Get her some expensive shoes, and she'll be putty in your hands.

> Thanks already hopefully somebody can help me out here.

Out here?  There's nobody out here.  Just wilderness and hippos...
Try the main Cygwin list.

OAU
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: cygwin service not starting

Dave Korn
In reply to this post by mshrak
mshrak (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I`ve trying to install  cygwin on my Desktop Pc andii follewed every step
> to install it right. Still i can`t get the service to work.

  You may have forgotten to mention which service.

> When i type   $USERNAME@127.0.0.1 i always get a connection to port 22
> refuse.

  Well, I reckon you should contact the hostmaster for 127.0.0.1 and take it
up with them.  You can always use 'whois' to find out the domain owner.  If
they won't sort out the problem, take it up with their ISP and try and get
them disconnected.

> But after double klicking the icon i get the black screen with in green
> lettters; xxxxx@xxxx ~
>
> Can somebody help me what im doing wrong here please.

  Well, the main problem seems to be that your username is 'xxxxx' and your
machine's hostname is 'xxxx' and your x key is probably wearing out.

> I need the stuff working to conect with Putty from my work to get Eve
> running.

  I find that inviting her up for a 'cup of coffee' generally gets her
running.... hth!

 
> Thanks already hopefully somebody can help me out here.

  'Here' may not be quite the best place to get help....


    cheers,
      DaveK
--
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: cygwin service not starting

mshrak
I`ve notice it already im seeking my answers somewhere else.

All of you on LSD guys?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: cygwin service not starting

Dave Korn
mshrak (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> I`ve notice it already im seeking my answers somewhere else.
>
> All of you on LSD guys?


  Hey!  Who put a hippo in my pint while I went to the toilet?!?!

  Well thanks, whoever you are!

    cheers,
      DaveK
--
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cygwin service not starting

Brian Dessent
In reply to this post by mshrak
"mshrak (sent by Nabble.com)" wrote:

> I`ve notice it already im seeking my answers somewhere else.
>
> All of you on LSD guys?

You posted to the wrong list.  This is not a list for posting technical
questions about Cygwin.

> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/cygwin-service-not-starting-t944821.html#a2449021
> Sent from the cygwin-talk forum at Nabble.com.

This is crap.  This garbage already litters the gcc lists, and now it's
here.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: cygwin service not starting

Dave Korn
Brian Dessent wrote:
> "mshrak (sent by Nabble.com)" wrote:

>> View this message in context:
>> http://www.nabble.com/cygwin-service-not-starting-t944821.html#a2449021
>> Sent from the cygwin-talk forum at Nabble.com.
>
> This is crap.  This garbage already litters the gcc lists, and now it's
> here.

  Although to give them their due, they responded adequately to the problem on
the gcc list by editing their group description to make it clear that it was
an ultra-technical list and not for use by nueless clewbies.

  And it's damn easy to filter on 'nabble' and you wouldn't expect to get many
false positives....



    cheers,
      DaveK
--
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cygwin service not starting

Christopher Faylor-2
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 03:48:18PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:

>Brian Dessent wrote:
>> "mshrak (sent by Nabble.com)" wrote:
>
>>> View this message in context:
>>> http://www.nabble.com/cygwin-service-not-starting-t944821.html#a2449021
>>> Sent from the cygwin-talk forum at Nabble.com.
>>
>> This is crap.  This garbage already litters the gcc lists, and now it's
>> here.
>
>  Although to give them their due, they responded adequately to the problem on
>the gcc list by editing their group description to make it clear that it was
>an ultra-technical list and not for use by nueless clewbies.
>
>  And it's damn easy to filter on 'nabble' and you wouldn't expect to get many
>false positives....

I could actually block them entirely.  I'm not really thrilled that someone has
set up a forum which makes it easy to send email here without making it clear
what kind of email to send.  They do refer to lists.html but what died-in-the-wool
cygwin user is going to stop and click on a link when they are burning to ask
a question about, cron, ssh, or "cygwin service"?

cgf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: cygwin service not starting

R Morris
In reply to this post by Dave Korn
Dave Korn  wrote:

>  Although to give them their due, they responded adequately to the problem on
>the gcc list by editing their group description to make it clear that it was
>an ultra-technical list and not for use by nueless clewbies.

Thank you. We can also disable local posting if you prefer. Then only subscribed
members can post to the list. Just let me know if that's what you want.

Regards,
Rod Morris
Nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cygwin service not starting

Brian Dessent
"R Morris (sent by Nabble.com)" wrote:

> >  Although to give them their due, they responded adequately to the problem on
> >the gcc list by editing their group description to make it clear that it was
> >an ultra-technical list and not for use by nueless clewbies.
>
> Thank you. We can also disable local posting if you prefer. Then only subscribed
> members can post to the list. Just let me know if that's what you want.

I hardly see how cygwin-talk needs to be gatewayed onto another
interface.  It's not meant for Cygwin support of any kind, just random
chitchat and continuation of threads that have veered completely
off-topic on the main list.

Therefore almost anyone who is not already familiar with the Cygwin
lists who posts to the -talk list is almost certainly guaranteed to be
posting in the wrong place -- and they will be received with taunting
and nonsense of hippos and LSD and such, as in this case.

I think your users would benefit more from not even having it presented
as a possible place to get support.

Brian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: cygwin service not starting

Dave Korn
In reply to this post by Christopher Faylor-2
Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 03:48:18PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>> Brian Dessent wrote:
>>> "mshrak (sent by Nabble.com)" wrote:
>>
>>>> View this message in context:
>>>> http://www.nabble.com/cygwin-service-not-starting-t944821.html#a2449021
>>>> Sent from the cygwin-talk forum at Nabble.com.
>>>
>>> This is crap.  This garbage already litters the gcc lists, and now it's
>>> here.
>>
>>  Although to give them their due, they responded adequately to the
>> problem on the gcc list by editing their group description to make it
>> clear that it was an ultra-technical list and not for use by nueless
>> clewbies.
>>
>>  And it's damn easy to filter on 'nabble' and you wouldn't expect to get
>> many false positives....
>
> I could actually block them entirely.  

  heh, I was indeed hinting at that.

> I'm not really thrilled that
> someone has set up a forum which makes it easy to send email here without
> making it clear what kind of email to send.  They do refer to lists.html
> but what died-in-the-wool cygwin user is going to stop and click on a
> link when they are burning to ask
> a question about, cron, ssh, or "cygwin service"?

  It makes you stop and think, though: gmane provides a very similar kind of
service, but we don't get clowns coming through it[*].  What is it that's so
structurally different that one breeds newbies like maggots on a rotting hippo
carcass[**], and the other seems not to?


    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] -- and does anyone but me remember the old early days of google groups
when you used to see newbies turning up all over the place going "Mailing
list?  What are you talking about, 'mailing list', this is a google bulletin
board isn't it?")

[**] - apologies to hippos of a nervous disposition.
--
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cygwin service not starting

Will L <Nabble>
In reply to this post by Brian Dessent
Brian:

Thanks for the note. Nabble is a new experiment. Concrete user feedback like yours really helps the project. One critical feaure of Nabble is to allow users to self-serve edit and improve their own forum/archive. In the next release (in a few weeks), the editing of forum name and description and child-parent relationship will be edit-able in a wiki style. This way you can adjust things like these by yourself. And of course, if Nabble is crap, you can also delete it all together.

Nabble currently has this feature, but it is not as easy to use as the wiki-style in our next release. If you want to try it, click the "Modify this Forum" link under the forum name http://www.nabble.com/cygwin-talk-f12168.html You will see further links and it's a voting-like UI. Usually, to prevent vandalism, Nabble requires at least 100 votes to commit a change, but I changed the cygwin-talk forum to require 1 vote to commit a change, this way you can play with it. Note that this will all change to a simpler wiki UI in the next release.

Best regards,
Will L
Nabble.com

Brian Dessent wrote
I hardly see how cygwin-talk needs to be gatewayed onto another
interface.  It's not meant for Cygwin support of any kind, just random
chitchat and continuation of threads that have veered completely
off-topic on the main list.

Therefore almost anyone who is not already familiar with the Cygwin
lists who posts to the -talk list is almost certainly guaranteed to be
posting in the wrong place -- and they will be received with taunting
and nonsense of hippos and LSD and such, as in this case.

I think your users would benefit more from not even having it presented
as a possible place to get support.

Brian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: cygwin service not starting

Dave Korn
Will L (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> Nabble currently has this feature, but it is not as easy to use as the
> wiki-style in our next release. If you want to try it, click the "Modify
> this Forum" link under the forum name
> http://www.nabble.com/cygwin-talk-f12168.html You will see further links
> and it's a voting-like UI.


  No, I see a request to sign up, hand over my email address and log in.



    cheers,
      DaveK
--
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: cygwin service not starting

Will L <Nabble>
Dave Korn wrote
> Nabble currently has this feature, but it is not as easy to use as the
> wiki-style in our next release. If you want to try it, click the "Modify
> this Forum" link under the forum name
> http://www.nabble.com/cygwin-talk-f12168.html You will see further links
> and it's a voting-like UI.


  No, I see a request to sign up, hand over my email address and log in.
DaveK:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Yes, you will need to be a registered user to edit/create/post. The min requirement is to have a confirmed email address. This is to prevent careless anonymous people. Needless to say, Nabble will not spam, in fact, Nabble will not email you at all. There are various email alert that you can choose to set up, but those works like the Google alert.

Best regards,
Will L
Nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: cygwin service not starting

Dave Korn
Will L (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>>
>>> Nabble currently has this feature, but it is not as easy to use as the
>>> wiki-style in our next release. If you want to try it, click the "Modify
>>> this Forum" link under the forum name
>>> http://www.nabble.com/cygwin-talk-f12168.html You will see further links
>>> and it's a voting-like UI.
>>
>>
>>   No, I see a request to sign up, hand over my email address and log in.
>>
>
> DaveK:
>
> Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Yes, you will need to be a registered
> user to edit/create/post. The min requirement is to have a confirmed
> email address. This is to prevent careless anonymous people. Needless to
> say, Nabble will not spam, in fact, Nabble will not email you at all.

  Yes, that wasn't my point.

  The point was that in response to the question "What can we do about the
fact that John Q. Randominternetsite has portaled and re-purposed our mailing
list and we're getting hit with tonnes of unwanted garbage", your suggestion
was "Well, you can always take positive steps to opt out, including handing
over your personal information".  You are placing the cost of the burden on
the victim of your unwanted attentions.

  The reason "You can always opt-out" is an unacceptable response to
accusations of spamming is because it's unreasonable to suggest that I should
have to opt out individually from every single one of the tens of thousands of
people who might otherwise want to send me commercial email.

  Now, none of this should in any way be taken as accusing you of spamming, or
of even coming anywhere near it, because that's not remotely what I believe
and I would not like anyone reading this to misinterpret me.

  However, the one similarity, and the one that I think is still a problem, is
the "Well, we're just going to place a burden on you, out of the blue, and we
expect /you/ to cheerfully shoulder the costs of this thing which we have
undertaken for /our/ benefit".

  I'm not quite sure what the best solution would be.  You of course have the
right to archive public mailing lists.  I'm not sure you should start sending
to them without first approaching them to ask for consent.  You could run your
archive, and you could of course allow all your users to post locally to each
other on your site, but not gateway those posts back to any list unless you
knew it was going to be welcomed.

  This would of course place more administrative burden on you.

  But then it is _your_ business that this administrative work is for the
benefit of, and placing it on others as an externality seems to me bordering
on unethical.

    cheers,
      DaveK
--
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: cygwin service not starting

Will L <Nabble>
Dave Korn wrote
...
  But then it is _your_ business that this administrative work is for the
benefit of, and placing it on others as an externality seems to me bordering
on unethical.

    cheers,
      DaveK
DaveK:

Thanks for your thoughtful email. Nabble was created trying to be useful, not to burden people. In fact, should there be any trouble, simply send us an email and we will take care of it for you.

Mailing list archive is nothing new, but Nabble tries to improve upon the existing solutions. Taking search for example, Cygwin has 7 lists, this means 7 separate archives to search or browse. But Nabble allows a user to search/browse all the archives from one place. Try search http://www.nabble.com/Cygwin-f12165.html - also click on the "Show Tips" link, you will find many powerful search options.

Based on the discussion on this thread, I already changed the description of the cygwin-talk to reflect Brian Dessent's comment. Also, I will suspend Nabble's posting function on this list shortly. In the next Nabble release, posting will be restricted to only list subscribers.

Thanks again for your comments.

Will L
Nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cygwin service not starting

Christopher Faylor-2
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:59:29PM -0800, Will L (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
>Based on the discussion on this thread, I already changed the
>description of the cygwin-talk to reflect Brian Dessent's comment.
>Also, I will suspend Nabble's posting function on this list shortly.
>In the next Nabble release, posting will be restricted to only list
>subscribers.

What is a "list subscriber" in this context?  Are you saying that you
need to register with the list at nabble before posting?  If so, I'm not
sure how that will help.

The basic problem here is that we go to some effort trying to get the mailing
list stuff straightened out so that people use the correct mailing list.  If
you add a new interface which doesn't use any of the words that we use
at http://cygwin.com/lists.html, you *will* be causing us problems.  The problems
are the classic problem of having to maintain two disparate descriptions.  Unless
you have some method to keep the descriptions at nabble up-to-date with the
descriptions at http://cygwin.com/lists.html there will always be a problem
with end-user confusion.

cgf