cygwin emacs: broken key mappings (still?)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

cygwin emacs: broken key mappings (still?)

Robert V Sasseen
I'm having a problem with Emacs under Cygwin bash that's been reported
before but as far as I can tell never been resolved.
See, e.g.,
http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=htdig&restrict=&exclude=&method=and&format=builtin-long&sort=score&words=emacs+key+mapping
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00086.html
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00100.html

The problem is with keys such as c-@ (set-mark-command) not having the
proper effect. In my case, c-@ has no apparent effect on setting the mark,
even though m-X describe bindings says it's bound to set-mark-command, and
even though I can do m-X set-mark-command and it sets the mark properly. The
keystroke has no apparent affect at all; it's as though it's getting
intercepted and filtered out along the way.
(I set CYGWIN=tty to resolve the (different) c-C problem discussed in the
archives, but the c-@ problem is unaffected by this setting.)

Most of the suggested fixes have been of the "don't do that" variety--use
XEmacs or NTEmacs instead of the Emacs that ships with Cygwin, or use rxvt
or an xterm in place of Cygwin bash (the latter two ideas both requiring one
to run X Windows, I believe).

I just installed the latest Cygwin so I'm running GNU bash version
3.00.16(11) and GNU Emacs 21.2.1. It's running on a new Compaq PC running
Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Like those earlier posters with this problem, I'm not too sophisticated
about Emacs, terminals, and the like. But I'd like to truly solve this and
I'll try anyone's diagnostic suggestions.



--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cygwin emacs: broken key mappings (still?)

Igor Peshansky
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Robert V Sasseen wrote:

> I'm having a problem with Emacs under Cygwin bash that's been reported
> before but as far as I can tell never been resolved.
> See, e.g.,
> http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=htdig&restrict=&exclude=&method=and&format=builtin-long&sort=score&words=emacs+key+mapping
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00086.html
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00100.html
>
> The problem is with keys such as c-@ (set-mark-command) not having the proper
> effect. In my case, c-@ has no apparent effect on setting the mark, even
> though m-X describe bindings says it's bound to set-mark-command, and even
> though I can do m-X set-mark-command and it sets the mark properly. The
> keystroke has no apparent affect at all; it's as though it's getting
> intercepted and filtered out along the way.
> (I set CYGWIN=tty to resolve the (different) c-C problem discussed in the
> archives, but the c-@ problem is unaffected by this setting.)

I think the Ctrl-Space (^@) character is not recognized by the CMD window
(a.k.a. plain bash window) and not passed to the program running in that
window.  Thus, it may be impossible to capture/use that key.  If you
insist on using the "plain bash window", you might consider remapping the
function to another key combo.

> Most of the suggested fixes have been of the "don't do that"
> variety--use XEmacs or NTEmacs instead of the Emacs that ships with
> Cygwin, or use rxvt or an xterm in place of Cygwin bash (the latter two
> ideas both requiring one to run X Windows, I believe).

Not true for rxvt.  It can (and will by default) run in Windows native
mode.

> I just installed the latest Cygwin so I'm running GNU bash version
> 3.00.16(11) and GNU Emacs 21.2.1. It's running on a new Compaq PC
> running Windows XP Media Center Edition.

That's not how useful Cygwin installation information is reported.  Please
review and follow <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> if you have further
questions (though in this case using rxvt might be the solution you are
looking for).

> Like those earlier posters with this problem, I'm not too sophisticated
> about Emacs, terminals, and the like. But I'd like to truly solve this
> and I'll try anyone's diagnostic suggestions.

XEmacs also comes with Cygwin, and I've heard good things about it from
people who actually use emacs (I'm a vi person myself).
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_ [hidden email]
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

If there's any real truth it's that the entire multidimensional infinity
of the Universe is almost certainly being run by a bunch of maniacs. /DA

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/