cygwin-doc html/ missing docbook.css and index dups cygwin-{api,ug-net}

cygwin-doc html/ missing docbook.css and index dups cygwin-{api,ug-net}

Brian Inglis
Hi folks,

Package cygwin-doc files

        /usr/share/doc/cygwin-2.8.0/html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/*.html

all contain references to docbook.css:

        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="docbook.css">

but docbook.css is missing from the .../html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/
directories.

Could you please add docbook.css to the .../html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/
directories in the cygwin-doc package.

Could you please consider having setup-x86{,_64} install Windows
shortcuts to at least the UG .pdf and index.html if present, in the
.../Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin folder?
A Windows URL shortcut to https://cygwin.com would also be helpful for
some.

Under .../html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/ index.html duplicates the contents
of cygwin-{api,ug-net}.html: to avoid duplication, each index.html could
be replaced by a file containing only an HTML "symlink":

or

NIT: Why are these files installed in /usr/share/doc/cygwin-v.r.p/html/,
rather than the expected /usr/share/doc/cygwin/html/, where I would
expect cygwin-doc to install them, and where for some time I have been
downloading and installing my own copies from cygwin.com!

Re: cygwin-doc html/ missing docbook.css and index dups cygwin-{api,ug-net}

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Apr 16 12:22, Brian Inglis wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Package cygwin-doc files
>
> /usr/share/doc/cygwin-2.8.0/html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/*.html
>
> all contain references to docbook.css:
>
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="docbook.css">
>
> but docbook.css is missing from the .../html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/
> directories.
>
> Could you please add docbook.css to the .../html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/
> directories in the cygwin-doc package.
I applied a patch for that.

> Under .../html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/ index.html duplicates the contents
> of cygwin-{api,ug-net}.html: to avoid duplication, each index.html could
> be replaced by a file containing only an HTML "symlink":

> or

index.html will be installed as hardlink next time.

> Could you please consider having setup-x86{,_64} install Windows
> shortcuts to at least the UG .pdf and index.html if present, in the
> .../Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin folder?
> A Windows URL shortcut to https://cygwin.com would also be helpful for
> some.

That requires to change setup or to provide a postinstall script.
Are you willing to provide the latter?

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

On 2017-04-19 04:58, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Apr 16 12:22, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Package cygwin-doc files
>> /usr/share/doc/cygwin-2.8.0/html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/*.html
>> all contain references to docbook.css:
>> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="docbook.css">
>> but docbook.css is missing from the .../html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/
>> directories.
>> Could you please add docbook.css to the
>> .../html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/ directories in the cygwin-doc
>> package.
> I applied a patch for that.
>> Under .../html/cygwin-{api,ug-net}/ index.html duplicates the
>> contents of cygwin-{api,ug-net}.html: to avoid duplication, each
>> index.html could be replaced by a file containing only an HTML
>> "symlink":
>> or
> index.html will be installed as hardlink next time.

Thank you.

>> Could you please consider having setup-x86{,_64} install Windows
>> shortcuts to at least the UG .pdf and index.html if present, in
>> the .../Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin folder?
>> A Windows URL shortcut to https://cygwin.com would also be helpful
>> for some.
> That requires to change setup or to provide a postinstall script.
> Are you willing to provide the latter?

I am not aware of any arguments passed to postinstall scripts, so a
/etc/postinstall/cygwin-doc.sh would have to check for the folders
"$(cygpath -APU)"/Cygwin or "$(cygpath -PU)"/Cygwin, cd there,
mkshortcut(s), then cd back, as mkshortcut does not support folders,
as far as I can tell.
The postinstall script would also have to run elevated as admin to
make shortcuts in AllUsers/ProgramData, from what I have found.
An /etc/preremove/cygwin-doc.sh script would also have to be
provided to remove those shortcuts.
Any problems with that approach or improvements you could suggest?

If I was doing that, I would probably also like to add URL
shortcuts to the Cygwin page and FAQ. Would that be best done
by adding .URLs to /usr/share/doc/cygwin-???/ and postinstall
them in the Start Menu or postinstall mkshortcut(s) to the URLs?

On 2017-04-19 15:47, Jon Turney wrote:

> On 19/04/2017 16:42, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> That requires to change setup or to provide a postinstall script.
>>> Are you willing to provide the latter?
Darn - hoped you wouldn't ask - attached, and preremove (if not filtered).
Both tested on W10 without, and with CYGWINFORALL=-A and elevated/admin rights.
Comments or improvements you could suggest, or changes you need made?

>> I am not aware of any arguments passed to postinstall scripts, so a
>> /etc/postinstall/cygwin-doc.sh would have to check for the folders
>> "$(cygpath -APU)"/Cygwin or "$(cygpath -PU)"/Cygwin, cd there,
>> mkshortcut(s), then cd back, as mkshortcut does not support folders,
>> as far as I can tell.
>> The postinstall script would also have to run elevated as admin to
>> make shortcuts in AllUsers/ProgramData, from what I have found.
>> An /etc/preremove/cygwin-doc.sh script would also have to be
>> provided to remove those shortcuts.
>> Any problems with that approach or improvements you could suggest?

> This needs documenting, but when running postinstall scripts, Cygwin
> setup sets the CYGWINFORALL env var to "-A" if installing for "All
> Users" [1], for exactly this purpose.
>
> [1] https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-setup.git;a=commitdiff;h=c3d07c1372904c915b5895808f2cc6462975901e

Thanks Jon - makes things more straightforward.

etc.preremove.cygwin-doc.sh (790 bytes) Download Attachment
etc.postinstall.cygwin-doc.sh (2K) Download Attachment

Re: cygwin-doc html/ missing docbook.css and index dups cygwin-{api,ug-net}

Andrey Repin
Greetings, Brian Inglis!

> On 2017-04-19 15:47, Jon Turney wrote:

> Darn - hoped you wouldn't ask - attached, and preremove (if not filtered).
> Both tested on W10 without, and with CYGWINFORALL=-A and elevated/admin rights.
> Comments or improvements you could suggest, or changes you need made?

I would replace tabulation before "||" in etc.preremove.cygwin-doc.sh

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

On 2017-04-21 10:10, Andrey Repin wrote:

> Greetings, Brian Inglis!
>> Darn - hoped you wouldn't ask - attached, and preremove (if not
>> filtered).
>> Both tested on W10 without, and with CYGWINFORALL=-A and
>> elevated/admin rights.
>> Comments or improvements you could suggest, or changes you need
>> made?
> I would replace tabulation before "||" in
> etc.preremove.cygwin-doc.sh

Well spotted - nit-picker ;^> - remnant from the systematic
refactoring of a copy of postinstall down to the two line
preremove.

Re: cygwin-doc html/ missing docbook.css and index dups cygwin-{api,ug-net}

Hi Brian,

On Apr 20 21:00, Brian Inglis wrote:

> On 2017-04-19 15:47, Jon Turney wrote:
>
> Darn - hoped you wouldn't ask - attached, and preremove (if not filtered).
> Both tested on W10 without, and with CYGWINFORALL=-A and elevated/admin rights.
> Comments or improvements you could suggest, or changes you need made?
Only whitespace which I fixed locally.

But this is going to become part of the Cygwin repo (the cygwin-docs
package is created from there), so I need a BSD copyright waiver from
you.  See https://cygwin.com/contrib.html and the CONTRIBUTORS file in
the Cygwin repo:
https://cygwin.com/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;f=winsup/CONTRIBUTORS;hb=HEAD

On 2017-04-22 02:59, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Apr 20 21:00, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Darn - hoped you wouldn't ask - attached, and preremove (if not filtered).
>> Both tested on W10 without, and with CYGWINFORALL=-A and elevated/admin rights.
>> Comments or improvements you could suggest, or changes you need made?
> Only whitespace which I fixed locally.
> But this is going to become part of the Cygwin repo (the cygwin-docs
> package is created from there), so I need a BSD copyright waiver from
> you.  See https://cygwin.com/contrib.html and the CONTRIBUTORS file in
> the Cygwin repo:
> https://cygwin.com/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;f=winsup/CONTRIBUTORS;hb=HEAD

Signed and sent to cygwin-patches as requested and documented.

Re: cygwin-doc html/ missing docbook.css and index dups cygwin-{api,ug-net}

Andrey Repin
Greetings, Brian Inglis!

> On 2017-04-21 10:10, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Brian Inglis!
>>> Darn - hoped you wouldn't ask - attached, and preremove (if not
>>> filtered).
>>> Both tested on W10 without, and with CYGWINFORALL=-A and
>>> elevated/admin rights.
>>> Comments or improvements you could suggest, or changes you need
>>> made?
>> I would replace tabulation before "||" in
>> etc.preremove.cygwin-doc.sh

> Well spotted - nit-picker ;^> - remnant from the systematic
> refactoring of a copy of postinstall down to the two line
> preremove.

Just happened to have visual whitespaces on when looking at your script
:)

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin