complete newbie Q

Rosty-2
Is it possible to compile under a cygwin a native windows application that
will run without cygwin installed? For example, can a take a unix source,
compile and run it under cygwin, then go to another win32 machine that has
not cygwin installed, and run it there?

Re: complete newbie Q

Weiqi Gao
On 11/29/05, rosty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible to compile under a cygwin a native windows application that
> will run without cygwin installed?

Yes.

>  For example, can a take a unix source,
> compile and run it under cygwin, then go to another win32 machine that has
> not cygwin installed, and run it there?

No.

--
Weiqi Gao (高为奇)
[hidden email]
http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/

Re: complete newbie Q

Timothy C Prince
Weiqi Gao wrote:

> On 11/29/05, rosty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to compile under a cygwin a native windows application that
>>will run without cygwin installed?
>

> Yes.
>

>> For example, can a take a unix source,
>>compile and run it under cygwin, then go to another win32 machine that has
>>not cygwin installed, and run it there?
>

> No.

Unless you can accept -mno-cygwin as a solution.  All this, and maybe
even the nit-picking semantics, should be covered in the FAQ.

RE: complete newbie Q

Dave Korn
-Tim Prince wrote:
> Weiqi Gao wrote:
>> On 11/29/05, rosty <dima.hristov> wrote:

>>> For example, can a take a unix source,
>>> compile and run it under cygwin, then go to another win32 machine that
>>> has not cygwin installed, and run it there?
>>

>> No.
>>
> Unless you can accept -mno-cygwin as a solution.

  Actually, the answer's _still_ no.

  If you use -mno-cygwin, you won't have the cygwin library functions
available, and most bog-standard unix sources won't compile without some
porting effort.  (MinGW provides _some_ of the POSIX syscalls, but it's a
massively less-complete implementation than Cygwin.  MSYS provides more, ).

    cheers,
      DaveK

RE: complete newbie Q

Dave Korn
Dave Korn wrote:

> porting effort.  (MinGW provides _some_ of the POSIX syscalls, but it's a
> massively less-complete implementation than Cygwin.  MSYS provides more,

... but it's not included in the cygwin mingw distribution.)

    cheers,
      DaveK

Re: complete newbie Q

Christopher Faylor-2
On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 04:52:05PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>Dave Korn wrote:
>>porting effort.  (MinGW provides _some_ of the POSIX syscalls, but it's
>>a massively less-complete implementation than Cygwin.  MSYS provides
>>more,
>
>...  but it's not included in the cygwin mingw distribution.)

MSYS is just a (very) old version of cygwin with some hacks to translate
path names and a different way of dealing with the mount table.  So,
MSYS will never be included in the cygwin distribution.  It wouldn't
make any sense to do so.

RE: complete newbie Q

Dave Korn
Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 04:52:05PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>> porting effort.  (MinGW provides _some_ of the POSIX syscalls, but it's
>>> a massively less-complete implementation than Cygwin.  MSYS provides
>>> more,
>>
>> ...  but it's not included in the cygwin mingw distribution.)
>
> MSYS is just a (very) old version of cygwin with some hacks to translate
> path names and a different way of dealing with the mount table.

  I know that!

>  So,
> MSYS will never be included in the cygwin distribution.  It wouldn't
> make any sense to do so.

  Yes it would.  It would allow people to write "gcc -mno-cygwin -lmsys".

  As long as there's going to be a mingw cross-build environment in cygwin at
all, it would be entirely reasonable to distribute libmsys.a next to
libmingw32.a, libmingwex.a, libmingwthrd.a, etc.

  Now, I agree that cygwin isn't mingw, and it would be pointless to attempt
to include mingw-builds of *every* imaginable lib with cygwin, and that people
who want mingw should get mingw, and that the cross-compiler distributed in
cygwin is just a convenience facility and does not attempt to be a
fully-featured dev environment, but even so:

  a) msys /almost/ counts as a core library of mingw, so
  b) it _would_ "make sense" to include it, just as much so as to not include
it, and
  c) any reason for doing so or not doing so isn't to do with the fact that
it's so similar to (being derived from) cygwin, but is to do with the
cost/benefit ratio of including an extra library in the cygwin mingw
cross-environment.

  IOW it's not remotely as daft a suggestion as your words might be taken to
imply.

  PS:  Aren't hippos great?[*]

    cheers,
      DaveK

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=hippos&sourceid=mozilla-search&ie=utf-8&oe
=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&sa=N&tab=wi

Re: complete newbie Q

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 29 18:18, Dave Korn wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>
> >> ...  but it's not included in the cygwin mingw distribution.)
> >
> > MSYS is just a (very) old version of cygwin with some hacks to translate
> > path names and a different way of dealing with the mount table.
>
>   I know that!

Really?

> >  So,
> > MSYS will never be included in the cygwin distribution.  It wouldn't
> > make any sense to do so.
>
>   Yes it would.  It would allow people to write "gcc -mno-cygwin -lmsys".
>
>   As long as there's going to be a mingw cross-build environment in cygwin at
> all, it would be entirely reasonable to distribute libmsys.a next to
> libmingw32.a, libmingwex.a, libmingwthrd.a, etc.

Yeah, and MingW is going to include libcygwin.a and include files.
And both, MingW and Cygwin will in future include all include files
and libs to create PPC-Linux binaries.  So everybody will be happy.

You're off the point.  MSYS is only a helper for building MingW/native
Windows apps.  There's no reason at all to support building MSYS linked
binaries inside of a Cygwin environment.  If you want native Windows
apps, link with -mno-cygwin, if you want POSIX apps, don't.

Red Hat, Inc.