autotools fails to find /lib/liblz.a

Brian Inglis
Hi folks,

Hoping this is a symptom of a well known issue with a well known solution, or I
can get the build to work without it:

  CCLD     libwget.la

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -llz.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with liblz and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /lib/liblz.a
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.

*** Since this library must not contain undefined symbols,
*** because either the platform does not support them or
*** it was explicitly requested with -no-undefined,
*** libtool will only create a static version of it.

Also working with upstream on the issue.

Re: autotools fails to find /lib/liblz.a

Achim Gratz
Brian Inglis writes:
> Hoping this is a symptom of a well known issue with a well known solution, or I
> can get the build to work without it:
>
>   CCLD     libwget.la
>
> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -llz.

That sounds like a bug in configure for whatever you are trying to build
(you didn't say).  First off, it shouldn't even look for a static
library and none of that name exists in Cygwin.  Also, if you need to
figure out what goes wrong you'd better advise make to output the full
command lines and not abbreviate (you will probably need to add V=1 or
something like that to the arguments).

Re: autotools fails to find /lib/liblz.a

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 10/30/2020 3:32 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Brian Inglis writes:
>> Hoping this is a symptom of a well known issue with a well known solution, or I
>> can get the build to work without it:
>>
>>    CCLD     libwget.la
>>
>> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -llz.
>
> That sounds like a bug in configure for whatever you are trying to build
> (you didn't say).  First off, it shouldn't even look for a static
> library and none of that name exists in Cygwin.  Also, if you need to
> figure out what goes wrong you'd better advise make to output the full
> command lines and not abbreviate (you will probably need to add V=1 or
> something like that to the arguments).

Whatever Brian is building appears to be looking for the lzlib library
(https://www.nongnu.org/lzip/lzlib.html), which in some distros, such as Debian,
is provided by a liblz-dev package.  As you said, it's not in Cygwin.

I would have expected the configure script to detect that Cygwin doesn't have it.

On 2020-10-30 13:32, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Brian Inglis writes:
>> Hoping this is a symptom of a well known issue with a well known solution, or I
>> can get the build to work without it:
>>
>>   CCLD     libwget.la
>>
>> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -llz.
>
> That sounds like a bug in configure for whatever you are trying to build
> (you didn't say).  First off, it shouldn't even look for a static
> library and none of that name exists in Cygwin.  Also, if you need to
> figure out what goes wrong you'd better advise make to output the full
> command lines and not abbreviate (you will probably need to add V=1 or
> something like that to the arguments).

Thanks Achim,
That confirms I should push that back upstream.
I'm still working on ITP wget2 sub-packages to upgrade from wget.
Problems getting wget2 https to work, either building with gnutls, or to build
at all with OpenSSL.
I think I'll back out the suggested upstream patch, make my own more minimal
tweaks, and see how that works.

On 2020-10-30 13:42, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> On 10/30/2020 3:32 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Brian Inglis writes:
>>> Hoping this is a symptom of a well known issue with a well known solution, or I
>>> can get the build to work without it:
>>>
>>>    CCLD     libwget.la
>>>
>>> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -llz.
>>
>> That sounds like a bug in configure for whatever you are trying to build
>> (you didn't say).  First off, it shouldn't even look for a static
>> library and none of that name exists in Cygwin.  Also, if you need to
>> figure out what goes wrong you'd better advise make to output the full
>> command lines and not abbreviate (you will probably need to add V=1 or
>> something like that to the arguments).
>
> Whatever Brian is building appears to be looking for the lzlib library
> (https://www.nongnu.org/lzip/lzlib.html), which in some distros, such as Debian,
> is provided by a liblz-dev package.  As you said, it's not in Cygwin.
>
> I would have expected the configure script to detect that Cygwin doesn't have it.

Thanks Ken,
I'm still trying to ITP wget2, get https working, and split into sub-packages.
Working with upstream, but their suggested configure.ac patch does seem to lack
some consistency checking, as I'm trying to build explicitly --without-lzip to
avoid this issue.
I'll report back upstream, and pick parts of their patch to selectively apply,
to avoid the above breakage and others.

Brian Inglis writes:
> That confirms I should push that back upstream.
> I'm still working on ITP wget2 sub-packages to upgrade from wget.

Do you have a cygport file?  From looking at the configure.ac I don't
understand how it ever gets to where you've been seeing the error.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

On 2020-10-30 15:03, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Brian Inglis writes:
>> That confirms I should push that back upstream.
>> I'm still working on ITP wget2 sub-packages to upgrade from wget.
>
> Do you have a cygport file?  From looking at the configure.ac I don't
> understand how it ever gets to where you've been seeing the error.

Upstream supplied the attached patch which broke the build (cygport attached)!
I since applied my own (attached) patch to fix only the bashisms ('[+=]=' which
are not caught by checkbashisms[.pl]!), which builds with gnutls, and passes the
tests.

$ wc {wget2-1.99.2-1.x86_64/src/wget2-1.99.2/,}configure*
  57890  159645 1495103 1495153     711
wget2-1.99.2-1.x86_64/src/wget2-1.99.2/configure
    884    2930   32928   32940     206
wget2-1.99.2-1.x86_64/src/wget2-1.99.2/configure.ac
    884    2930   32928   32940     206 configure.ac
     69     297    2966    2966     182 configure-ac.patch
    369    1403   14197   14197     182 configure-ac.upstream.patch
  60096  167205 1578122 1578196     711 total

Building with OpenSSL works but does not appear activated in -V output, although
https works, but strange internal error messages are generated.
I have passed on the info and my feedback upstream:

        https://github.com/rockdaboot/wget2/issues/232#issue-730750694

I have now put the packages up on Google Drive for review in another post.

Thanks very much for your help, and others who assisted!

configure-ac.upstream.patch (19K) Download Attachment
wget2.cygport (5K) Download Attachment
configure-ac.patch (3K) Download Attachment

Brian Inglis writes:
> I have now put the packages up on Google Drive for review in another post.

Can you leave that Google stuff out here please?

Looking at the logs in your issue report… please cut all the extra
nonsense from your PATH when building Cygwin packages.  At best it just
slows things down further.  Also, I wouldn't recommend to build in $HOME
if you can help it, Windows likes to "protect" files there.  Last but
not least, since this is obviously a machine that you use for other
things you might want to separate the Cygwin instance you are typically
using from the two you are building with.

On 2020-10-31 01:43, ASSI wrote:
> Brian Inglis writes:
>> I have now put the packages up on Google Drive for review in another post.
>
> Can you leave that Google stuff out here please?

That is my only online shared storage available, as my cableco ISP decided there
was little customer demand for any, like they decided there was little customer
demand for Usenet News feeds, and may yet decide there is little demand for
their email services!

> Looking at the logs in your issue report… please cut all the extra
> nonsense from your PATH when building Cygwin packages.  At best it just
> slows things down further.  Also, I wouldn't recommend to build in $HOME
> if you can help it, Windows likes to "protect" files there.  Last but
> not least, since this is obviously a machine that you use for other
> things you might want to separate the Cygwin instance you are typically
> using from the two you are building with.

What's set up in my profile has been added to since SunOS, Solaris, AIX, etc.
days across many systems including corps' Windows systems running (DJGPP then)
Cygwin, with customizations and variations by SHELL, TYPE, and HOST, running
integrated, interoperable tool sets, across VMs, local, and remote systems at
times.
It runs Cygwin services and I work under X with PCmanFM, etc.
If PATH ever becomes a problem, I save it and shorten it.
I run a number of customizations that trips up poorly written code that makes
unjustified assumptions.

A lot of what you see is from a log sanitizing script I keep adding to: builds
are actually under Cygwin /home/$USER/src/cygwin/$PKG/ or /home/$USER/src/$PKG/
for packages from other sources.

Is there a good and easy way to run multiple term windows from separate
instances while sharing the infrastructure to consolidate maintenance?
The Cygwin Setup program has an annoying habit of breaking or deleting certain
high level symlinks and converting them into directories! ;^>
Ideally I should run 4 extra instances to separate package builds and
newlib-winsup builds on both arches.

Brian Inglis writes:

>> Looking at the logs in your issue report… please cut all the extra
>> nonsense from your PATH when building Cygwin packages.  At best it just
>> slows things down further.  Also, I wouldn't recommend to build in $HOME
>> if you can help it, Windows likes to "protect" files there.  Last but
>> not least, since this is obviously a machine that you use for other
>> things you might want to separate the Cygwin instance you are typically
>> using from the two you are building with.
>
> What's set up in my profile has been added to since SunOS, Solaris, AIX, etc.
> days across many systems including corps' Windows systems running (DJGPP then)
> Cygwin, with customizations and variations by SHELL, TYPE, and HOST, running
> integrated, interoperable tool sets, across VMs, local, and remote systems at
> times.
[…]

That is all fine for your daily work, I'd just not pollute the build
environment with it.

> Is there a good and easy way to run multiple term windows from separate
> instances while sharing the infrastructure to consolidate maintenance?

I typically run an SSH daemon on each instance (on separate ports of
course) and remotely work over SSH more or less exclusively.  From Linux
I just use multiple tabs in konsole, from MinTTY I usually work in tmux.
It's easy enough to create MinTTY shortcuts for each instance of Cygwin
if you'd rather go that route.  As long as these reside on the same
machine or share a filesystem it's not much of a problem to share things
you want to share (via fstab and nsswitch.conf).  But the build
instances I use with a dedicated account (that shares its setup between
the two architectures).

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html