Xorg server always starting up on DISPLAY 3.0

Xorg server always starting up on DISPLAY 3.0

Jim Reisert AD1C
I'm running Cygwin/X server Version 1.17.1.  For the last couple of
weeks, it's always starting on DISPLAY 3.0:

    DISPLAY=:3.0

I can't figure out how to get it back to 0.0.  There must be some
piece of state somewhere that I can't find.

Thanks - Jim

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <[hidden email]>, http://www.ad1c.us

Re: Xorg server always starting up on DISPLAY 3.0

Jon TURNEY
On 27/03/2015 15:48, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> I'm running Cygwin/X server Version 1.17.1.  For the last couple of
> weeks, it's always starting on DISPLAY 3.0:
>
>      DISPLAY=:3.0
>
> I can't figure out how to get it back to 0.0.  There must be some
> piece of state somewhere that I can't find.

You have stale lock files /tmp/.X0-lock etc.

Unfortunately startx(|win) is not as smart as it should be about
detecting that the process owning the lock file is no longer running.

Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 8:17 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:

> You have stale lock files /tmp/.X0-lock etc.
>
> Unfortunately startx(|win) is not as smart as it should be about detecting
> that the process owning the lock file is no longer running.

That was indeed the problem.  I didn't find them because my brain was
stuck looking for them in /var/log/...

Wouldn't it be nice if Cygwin cleaned up the /tmp directory each time
the computer is re-booted?  I don't know how that would work in real
life, however.

- Jim

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <[hidden email]>, http://www.ad1c.us