XWin focus in multiwindow mode

Nicolas Goy
I noticed that a few apps don't manage focus properly when running under
XWin.

not lost in the X11 window.

Steps to reproduce (with terminator):
- Start terminator under XWin with multiwindow window manager
- Focus a Windows window by clicking on it

Expected behavior:
- Focus should be lost from the terminator window

Actual behavior:
- The terminator window remains focused. (by focused I mean that the
caret remains plain, and the titlebar remains in the focused color, the
windows properly lose keyboard focus and other OS level focus)
- Also, if I open a menu (in android studio for example), and click a
Windows window, the menu remains open.

Notes:
If I click another X11 windows, the focus is properly lost. It only
happens if I pass the focus from an X11 window to a native Windows
window.

I tested a few X11 app, and not all have this behavior:

Working app:
- xterm
- git-cola
- st
- konsole
- chromium

Apps showing the bug:
- android-studio
- terminator
- gnome-terminal
- termite

Version:

                        $ XWin --version
                        Welcome to the XWin X Server
                        Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
                        Release: 1.19.2.0
                        OS: CYGWIN_NT-10.0 yoda 2.7.0(0.306/5/3) 2017-02-12 13:18 x86_64
                        OS: Windows 10  [Windows NT 10.0 build 15063] (Win64)
                        Package: version 1.19.2-1 built 2017-03-09

Started with.
                        XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error -listen tcp

--
Nicolas Goy
Programmer

Re: XWin focus in multiwindow mode

Jon TURNEY
On 14/04/2017 12:23, Nicolas Goy wrote:

> I noticed that a few apps don't manage focus properly when running under
> XWin.

> not lost in the X11 window.
>
> Steps to reproduce (with terminator):
> - Start terminator under XWin with multiwindow window manager
> - Focus a Windows window by clicking on it
>
> Expected behavior:
> - Focus should be lost from the terminator window
>
> Actual behavior:
> - The terminator window remains focused. (by focused I mean that the
> caret remains plain, and the titlebar remains in the focused color, the
> windows properly lose keyboard focus and other OS level focus)

Thanks for the detailed bug report.

It looks like we were never doing quite the right thing to remove the X
input focus when losing Windows focus.

I've uploaded xorg-server-1.19.3-1 with a fix for this.

Perhaps you could try that and see if it improves things for you?

> - Also, if I open a menu (in android studio for example), and click a
> Windows window, the menu remains open.

This is also a long standing bug, but is more complex to fix.

At the moment, clicks outside X windows aren't seen by the server at
all, hence this behaviour.

--
Jon Turney
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer