X11 crashed immediately

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

X11 crashed immediately

Paul-2
Both Windows start links  XWin Server and User script flash something on =

the screen very very briefly and immediately close.

startxwin from Cywin64 Terminal hangs without starting the Xserver.

The Surface Go hardware specs which say the hardware and OS are 64 bit.
(control panel  settings  about)

cygcheckout (can’t get the list to accept as an attachment) shows:
Windows 10 Home Ver 10.0 Build 17763

Path:   .
        C:\cygwin64\home\phenk\bin
        C:\cygwin64\bin
        C:\cygwin64\usr\local\bin
        C:\cygwin64\bin
        C:\Windows\system32
        C:\Windows
        C:\Windows\System32\Wbem
        C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0
        C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH
        C:\Users\phenk\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
        C:\cygwin64\bin\usr


There is no C:\Windows\system64

Should I abandon home and go pro?
Should I use 32bit cygwin?

Thanks
Paul


--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: X11 crashed immediately

marco atzeri-4
Am 13.02.2020 um 02:26 schrieb Paul:
> Both Windows start links  XWin Server and User script flash something on =
>
> the screen very very briefly and immediately close.
>
> startxwin from Cywin64 Terminal hangs without starting the Xserver.

Are you sure ?
The XServer is not very visible, it just shows an icon on the taskbar.
In the far past it was also starting an Xterm and that was a more
visible presence of the XServer

Questions:
What is the final portion of the startxwin log ?

Have you by chanche a .startxwinrc in your home directory ?

Are /etc/defaults/etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc
and /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc identical ?

Any AV that could interfere ?
https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda



> Should I abandon home and go pro?
> Should I use 32bit cygwin?

No to both.



> Thanks
> Paul

--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: X11 crashed immediately

marco atzeri-4
back on cygwin mailing list

Am 14.02.2020 um 01:20 schrieb Paul:

> Thank you thank you.  The short of it is that I'm now using ImageMagick
> as I need to.
>
> The long of it is that I must use the Windows apps to get XWin going,
> then use the task bar to open a cygwin terminal.  I also got faked out
> by the XWin server  icon being a hidden icon.  Also appears that XWin
> needs to be started before the terminal.   It's been a number of years
> since I last did much on cygwin and thus missed these changes.
>
> Again, thank you for your quick and thoughtful response.
>
> Paul


glad it was just as simple.
The hiding of the icon is a bit misleading the first time
anyone run the XServer

Regards
Marco


--
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple