Winzip & Zip

zzapper
Hi,
Everyone knows the very useful Winzip, however some pretty clever "automatic" stuff can be done
using CygWins zip

# zip a webroot but only html or php files
zip.exe  -r web.zip c:/intranet/web/ -i *.php *.htm*

# zip a list of files where  list.txt contains one file name per line
zip all.zip -@ < list.txt

find . -name "*.[ch]" -print | zip source -@

Now you can start using the above for a regular backup if you link them to a cron

--
zzapper
Success for Techies and Vim,Zsh tips

Re: Winzip & Zip

nidhog
On 11/7/05, zzapper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Everyone knows the very useful Winzip, however some pretty clever "automatic" stuff can be done
> using CygWins zip
>

> # zip a webroot but only html or php files
> zip.exe  -r web.zip c:/intranet/web/ -i *.php *.htm*
>
> # zip a list of files where  list.txt contains one file name per line
> zip all.zip -@ < list.txt
>
> find . -name "*.[ch]" -print | zip source -@
>
> Now you can start using the above for a regular backup if you link them to a cron

nice tips!

used to use zip for backups a long time ago... then tar.gz... now i use rsync.

best,
--
/nh

Re: Winzip & Zip

zzapper
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:02:12 +0800,  wrote:

>On 11/7/05, zzapper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Everyone knows the very useful Winzip, however some pretty clever "automatic" stuff can be done
>> using CygWins zip
>>

>> # zip a webroot but only html or php files
>> zip.exe  -r web.zip c:/intranet/web/ -i *.php *.htm*
>>
>> # zip a list of files where  list.txt contains one file name per line
>> zip all.zip -@ < list.txt
>>
>> find . -name "*.[ch]" -print | zip source -@
>>
>> Now you can start using the above for a regular backup if you link them to a cron
>
>nice tips!
>
>used to use zip for backups a long time ago... then tar.gz... now i use rsync.
>
>best,
Some examples please

On 11/8/05, zzapper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some examples please

rsync's so simple you don't need to know much.

my home setup is quite complex (lots of rsync scripts run at different
times depending on network availability).  you can start with these
links:

http://freshmeat.net/redir/ribs/35653/url_homepage/www.ribs-backup.org

http://oldmill.uchicago.edu/~wilder/Security/rsync/

http://www.sanitarium.net/golug/rsync_backups.html