Wikipedia info about cygwin

Lapo Luchini-2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin
This page seems to contain some inaccuracies, but I don't know enough
to correct them properly...

...but I think the worse is this wikibook entry, to me it seems to
suggests some very "strange" options and lacks the proper context to
say that they are very peculiar (and very different form the default)
choices:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cygwin

What do you think of it?
Is someone interested in "helping" those articles?

PS: being a wiki, those two articles can be of course modified by
anyone, registered or not (tough in the latter case the IP will be
recorded in the history as "user who modified it")

--
Lapo Luchini

Re: Wikipedia info about cygwin

Chan Kar Heng
This page should have all the authorative information that should be in
that wiki page:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.about

.. and especially this:

http://cygwin.com/history.html

Both the above word things in much better way & in more proper
perspectives, as well as giving proper credit to people involved.

Lapo Luchini wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin
> This page seems to contain some inaccuracies, but I don't know enough
> to correct them properly...
>
> ...but I think the worse is this wikibook entry, to me it seems to
> suggests some very "strange" options and lacks the proper context to
> say that they are very peculiar (and very different form the default)
> choices:
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cygwin
>
> What do you think of it?
> Is someone interested in "helping" those articles?
>
> PS: being a wiki, those two articles can be of course modified by
> anyone, registered or not (tough in the latter case the IP will be
> recorded in the history as "user who modified it")
>
> --
> Lapo Luchini

Re: Wikipedia info about cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
Chan Kar Heng wrote:

> This page should have all the authorative information that should be in
> that wiki page:
>
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.about
>
> .. and especially this:
>
> http://cygwin.com/history.html
>
> Both the above word things in much better way & in more proper
> perspectives, as well as giving proper credit to people involved.

Or, better yet, just point to these Cygwin site pages from the wiki pages.
That way, the information is always valid, supported, and hopefully
useful.  As has been mentioned in the past, the Cygwin project can't be
responsible for maintaining documents about Cygwin if they aren't on the
Cygwin site or part of the distribution.  So the best place to go for good
information on Cygwin is the Cygwin site and it's associated docs.

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office

Re: Wikipedia info about cygwin

Christopher Faylor-2
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 09:30:20AM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

>Chan Kar Heng wrote:
>>This page should have all the authorative information that should be in
>>that wiki page:
>>
>>http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.about
>>
>>..  and especially this:
>>
>>http://cygwin.com/history.html
>>
>>Both the above word things in much better way & in more proper
>>perspectives, as well as giving proper credit to people involved.
>
>Or, better yet, just point to these Cygwin site pages from the wiki
>pages.  That way, the information is always valid, supported, and
>hopefully useful.  As has been mentioned in the past, the Cygwin
>project can't be responsible for maintaining documents about Cygwin if
>they aren't on the Cygwin site or part of the distribution.  So the
>best place to go for good information on Cygwin is the Cygwin site and
>it's associated docs.

Does someone want to make that an "action item"?

And, anyone interested in moving the Cygwin history beyond the
aggrandizing of Steve Chamberlain and the first few years of
development?

RE: Wikipedia info about cygwin

Jörg Schaible
Christopher Faylor wrote on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:56 PM:

[snip]
> Does someone want to make that an "action item"?
>
> And, anyone interested in moving the Cygwin history beyond
> the aggrandizing of Steve Chamberlain and the first few years
> of development?

Why? Has there ever been a better version as B20?

<gggg>

- Jörg

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 04:21:45PM +0100, J?rg Schaible wrote:

>Christopher Faylor wrote on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:56 PM:
>
>[snip]
>> Does someone want to make that an "action item"?
>>
>> And, anyone interested in moving the Cygwin history beyond
>> the aggrandizing of Steve Chamberlain and the first few years
>> of development?
>
>Why? Has there ever been a better version as B20?

Steve Chamberlain was completely out of the picture by that point.  In
fact, that was the second version in which I was directly involved, IIRC.
I think by that point it was me, DJ Delorie, and Geoff Noer.

Re: Wikipedia info about cygwin

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov  8 10:42, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 04:21:45PM +0100, J?rg Schaible wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:56 PM:
> >
> >[snip]
> >> Does someone want to make that an "action item"?
> >>
> >> And, anyone interested in moving the Cygwin history beyond
> >> the aggrandizing of Steve Chamberlain and the first few years
> >> of development?
> >
> >Why? Has there ever been a better version as B20?
>
> Steve Chamberlain was completely out of the picture by that point.  In
> fact, that was the second version in which I was directly involved, IIRC.
> I think by that point it was me, DJ Delorie, and Geoff Noer.

These were the paid fulltime members, but you're forgetting the
contributors:

  Eric Bachalo
  Stan Cox
  Ben Elliston
  Kazuhiro Fujieda
  Marco Fuykschot
  Philippe Giacinti
  Larry Hall
  Jeff Johnston
  Mumit Khan
  Tim Newsham
  Sergey Okhapkin
  Syd Polk
  Tom Tromey
  Ian Lance Taylor
  Gary V. Vaughan
  Corinna Vinschen
  Trevor Yann

Red Hat, Inc.

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 10:06:39AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>On Nov  8 10:42, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 04:21:45PM +0100, J?rg Schaible wrote:
>> >Christopher Faylor wrote on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:56 PM:
>> >
>> >[snip]

>> >Why? Has there ever been a better version as B20?
>>
>> Steve Chamberlain was completely out of the picture by that point.  In
>> fact, that was the second version in which I was directly involved, IIRC.
>> I think by that point it was me, DJ Delorie, and Geoff Noer.
>
>These were the paid fulltime members, but you're forgetting the
>contributors:

No, actually, I wasn't.  I was talking about the Cygnus people who were
responsible for getting B20 out of the door.  Additionally, only a few
of the below actually contributed in any major way.  I don't think that
every person who has ever contributed to Cygwin really needs to be
mentioned when I am clarifying that B20 was not a Steve Chamberlain
release.

cgf