Why no static GLIB/GLIB2 libraries?

Corinna Vinschen-2
Yaakov,

I just figured that neither in the runtime, nor in the devel package of
GLIB and GLIB2 are any traces of static libraries.

Is there any good reson for that?

I'm asking since I'm going to prepare a package which would better be
linked statically to GLIB2.  While I have no problems to link the
package dynamically against GLIB2, it would serve its purposes better if
it could get rid of any package dependency besides cygwin itself.

So, would it be possible to get updated GLIB/GLIB2 packages which
additionally contain static libs?  There's precedent for that in lots of
Linux distros ;-)

Re: Why no static GLIB/GLIB2 libraries?

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)

On Jan  2 17:49, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > I just figured that neither in the runtime, nor in the devel package of
> > GLIB and GLIB2 are any traces of static libraries.
>
> Correct.
>
> > Is there any good reson for that?
>
> We decided from the beginning to build GNOME shared-only, some of the
> reasons being:
>
> 1) The core GNOME libraries are backwards-compatible from one release to
> the next;
> 2) Many GNOME components contain modules, which of course don't make
> sense to build static.
>
> That said, if there is a specific need for *glib* to be both shared and
> static, that should be workable.
>
> > I'm asking since I'm going to prepare a package which would better be
> > linked statically to GLIB2.  While I have no problems to link the
> > package dynamically against GLIB2, it would serve its purposes better if
> > it could get rid of any package dependency besides cygwin itself.
>
> Gerrit maintains glib2, so you'll have to ask him, although for glib I
> agree that an exception can be made.

Oh, yes, sorry about that.  It's glib2 which would be helpful to
exist in a static version, too.

Gerrit?

Re: Why no static GLIB/GLIB2 libraries?

Gerrit P. Haase
Corinna schrieb:

> Oh, yes, sorry about that.  It's glib2 which would be helpful to
> exist in a static version, too.

> Gerrit?

Yes, Sir.  Will change the buildscript and upload later today.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

On Jan  3 13:55, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Corinna schrieb:
>
> > Oh, yes, sorry about that.  It's glib2 which would be helpful to
> > exist in a static version, too.
>
> > Gerrit?
>
> Yes, Sir.  Will change the buildscript and upload later today.

Thanks, Ma'am ;-)

Re: Why no static GLIB/GLIB2 libraries?

Lapo Luchini
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> Yes, Sir.  Will change the buildscript and upload later today.
> Thanks, Ma'am ;-)

I always supposed that Gerrit was a male name... but after all so does
Andrea, in Italy.
I guess I don't grok german quite enough 0:-)

    Lapo

Lapo schrieb:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Yes, Sir.  Will change the buildscript and upload later today.
>> Thanks, Ma'am ;-)
>>
> I always supposed that Gerrit was a male name... but after all so does
> Andrea, in Italy.
> I guess I don't grok german quite enough 0:-)

Actually Gerrit is a male and Corinna is a female name, however Gerrit
is also a female name in Germany.

BTW, AM_DISABLE_STATIC is the default setting in Glib2 configury, and I
didn't define --disable-static, so it was probably not intentional.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=