Where is rsh ?

Krithivasan, Balasubramaniyan (STSD)
Hi

        The last time I installed Cygwin about 4 months before, I could
install Cygwin rsh in my box.

        Today for about 3 -4 hours I am trying to find how to install
Cygwin rsh . But I failed & hence this email.

        I went to find where the rsh source code is in CVS. But I failed
to find that also. Can somebody please let me know where I can find ?

        Thanks !

Thanks,
Bala

Re: Where is rsh ?

Danilo Turina
Krithivasan, Balasubramaniyan (STSD) wrote:

> Hi
>
> The last time I installed Cygwin about 4 months before, I could
> install Cygwin rsh in my box.
>
> Today for about 3 -4 hours I am trying to find how to install
> Cygwin rsh . But I failed & hence this email.
>
> I went to find where the rsh source code is in CVS. But I failed
> to find that also. Can somebody please let me know where I can find ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> Thanks,
> Bala

Package search is at

        http://cygwin.com/packages/

anyway in this case (searching for "rsh") returns a number of packages.

inetutils is the package that you want.

Ciao,

                Danilo

Re: Where is rsh ?

Brian Dessent
"Krithivasan, Balasubramaniyan (STSD)" wrote:

>         The last time I installed Cygwin about 4 months before, I could
> install Cygwin rsh in my box.
>
>         Today for about 3 -4 hours I am trying to find how to install
> Cygwin rsh . But I failed & hence this email.
>
>         I went to find where the rsh source code is in CVS. But I failed
> to find that also. Can somebody please let me know where I can find ?

The rsh binary is part of the 'inetutils' package.  Go to the Cygwin
package search page at <http://cygwin.com/packages/> and type "rsh.exe"
in the search to find this.

You will not find the source code for this package in any cygwin CVS
server.  This package (and nearly every other package offered in the
distribution) is software from another upstream project, it is not
something that the Cygwin project has any direct relation to -- other
than providing a prepackaged/precompiled binary.  If you want to look at
a package's source, either go to its upsteam website/CVS server or
install the source package.  Consult the README for the package under
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ for more information about where it came from.
In the specific case of inetutils you probably will not find a canonical
"upstream" site because it is all code derived from the original BSD
unix.

Brian

Re: Where is rsh ?

Balasubramaniyan K

I don't find the rsh.exe or rsh when I try to install using setup.exe (Cygwin
installation).

- Bala

Re: Where is rsh ?

Brian Dessent
Balasubramaniyan K (Bala) wrote:

> I don't find the rsh.exe or rsh when I try to install using setup.exe (Cygwin
> installation).

So you selected the inetutils package and you don't have
/usr/bin/rsh.exe afterwards?  If that's the case then we need more
information to be able to help you, please see
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  You will NOT see "rsh" anywhere in
setup, the name of the package is inetutils.

Brian

RE: Where is rsh ?

Dave Korn
Brian Dessent wrote:

> In the specific case of inetutils you probably will not find a canonical
> "upstream" site because it is all code derived from the original BSD
> unix.
>
> Brian

  No, it's gnu these days, isn't it?

http://www.gnu.org/software/inetutils/inetutils.html

    cheers,
      DaveK

Re: Where is rsh ?

Brian Dessent
Dave Korn wrote:

> > In the specific case of inetutils you probably will not find a canonical
> > "upstream" site because it is all code derived from the original BSD
> > unix.
>
>   No, it's gnu these days, isn't it?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/inetutils/inetutils.html

I suppose... I said that because the Cygwin inetutils package manpages
say "BSD General Commands Manual" in the header and "4.2 Berkeley
Distribution April 29, 1995" in the footer, so I assumed that Corinna
used the BSD source and not the GNUified version.

Brian