VIM broken by upgrade to Perl 5.30

Sommrey, Joerg (Allianz Deutschland)
Hi,

vim needs to be recompiled for Perl 5.30. The perl interface is no longer working:
Calling:
:perl VIM::Msg(“Hi”)

Results in:

E370: Could not load library cygperl5_26.dll
Sorry, this command is disabled: the Perl library could not be loaded.

Kind regards,
Jörg Sommrey

Re: VIM broken by upgrade to Perl 5.30

Cygwin list mailing list
> vim needs to be recompiled for Perl 5.30. The perl interface is no longer working:
> Calling:
> :perl VIM::Msg(“Hi”)

> Results in:

> E370: Could not load library cygperl5_26.dll
> Sorry, this command is disabled: the Perl library could not be loaded.

Add:
    set perldll=/usr/bin/perl5_30.dll
to your .vimrc file.

Kevin

AW: VIM broken by upgrade to Perl 5.30

Sommrey, Joerg (Allianz Deutschland)
Hi Kevin,

thanks for the hint, but this does not work.
After setting perldll to perl5_30.dll I get:

if_perl.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0x8800080, needed 0x9680080)

And then vim dies...

Jörg

> vim needs to be recompiled for Perl 5.30. The perl interface is no longer working:
> Calling:
> :perl VIM::Msg(“Hi”)

> Results in:

> E370: Could not load library cygperl5_26.dll
> Sorry, this command is disabled: the Perl library could not be loaded.

Add:
    set perldll=/usr/bin/perl5_30.dll
to your .vimrc file.

Kevin

Re: VIM broken by upgrade to Perl 5.30

Oliver Schoede
On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 21:42:42 +0000 (UTC)
"Kevin Schnitzius via cygwin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > vim needs to be recompiled for Perl 5.30. The perl interface is no
> > longer working: Calling:
> > :perl VIM::Msg(“Hi”)
> >
> > Results in:
> >
> > E370: Could not load library cygperl5_26.dll
> > Sorry, this command is disabled: the Perl library could not be
> > loaded.
>
> Add:
>     set perldll=/usr/bin/perl5_30.dll
> to your .vimrc file.

Appears that doesn't work on Windows, Cygwin or otherwise, as per
if_perl.txt:

"The name of the DLL must match the Perl version Vim was compiled with.
Currently the name is "perl512.dll".  That is for Perl 5.12.  To know
for sure edit "gvim.exe" and search for "perl\d*.dll\c"

Sure enough, the binary still has references to 5.26 baked in.

Regards,
Oliver

Re: AW: VIM broken by upgrade to Perl 5.30

Sommrey, Joerg (Allianz Deutschland) writes:
> thanks for the hint, but this does not work.
> After setting perldll to perl5_30.dll I get:
>
> if_perl.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0x8800080, needed 0x9680080)

Perl major version updates like this one are never binary compatible.
The message you got is the result of that.

> And then vim dies...

The maintainer said vim didn't need an update, but that has turned out
to be a wrong assertion.

Re: VIM broken by upgrade to Perl 5.30

marco atzeri-4
Am 06.03.2020 um 21:41 schrieb Achim Gratz:

> Sommrey, Joerg (Allianz Deutschland) writes:
>> thanks for the hint, but this does not work.
>> After setting perldll to perl5_30.dll I get:
>>
>> if_perl.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0x8800080, needed 0x9680080)
>
> Perl major version updates like this one are never binary compatible.
> The message you got is the result of that.
>
>> And then vim dies...
>
> The maintainer said vim didn't need an update, but that has turned out
> to be a wrong assertion.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

that is not correct.
The maintainer is Yaakov, that is absent; I did the assertion based on
the setup.ini analysis.

I will look to rebuild vim in Yaakov's behalf