Updating glib2.0

cygwin-apps mailing list
I've been planning to adopt gimp and some related build dependencies.  My reason
is that I use gimp and would like to see it kept up to date.

I thought I had all the prerequisites I needed.  But when I built gimp, I
discovered that it used two functions, g_set_weak_pointer and
g_date_time_new_from_iso8601, that were introduced in glib-2.56.

[gimp's configure.ac says that it only requires glib 2.54.2, but this seems to
be wrong.  Cygwin's glib is at 2.54.3.  Fedora's is at 2.64.3, which is the
latest upstream release.]

I'd appreciate some advice about how to proceed.  I'm not interested in adopting
all of GNOME, and it probably doesn't make sense for different components of
GNOME to be adopted by different people.

A short-term solution (from my personal POV) would be for me to do a
non-maintainer update of glib to 2.56, assuming that's doable without messing up
other GNOME components.

A better solution (again from my personal POV) would be for someone to adopt
GNOME and update it to its latest release.

Re: Updating glib2.0

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 5/22/2020 7:18 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> I've been planning to adopt gimp and some related build dependencies.  My reason
> is that I use gimp and would like to see it kept up to date.
>
> I thought I had all the prerequisites I needed.  But when I built gimp, I
> discovered that it used two functions, g_set_weak_pointer and
> g_date_time_new_from_iso8601, that were introduced in glib-2.56.
>
> [gimp's configure.ac says that it only requires glib 2.54.2, but this seems to
> be wrong.  Cygwin's glib is at 2.54.3.  Fedora's is at 2.64.3, which is the
> latest upstream release.]
>
> I'd appreciate some advice about how to proceed.  I'm not interested in adopting
> all of GNOME, and it probably doesn't make sense for different components of
> GNOME to be adopted by different people.
>
> A short-term solution (from my personal POV) would be for me to do a
> non-maintainer update of glib to 2.56, assuming that's doable without messing up
> other GNOME components.
>
> A better solution (again from my personal POV) would be for someone to adopt
> GNOME and update it to its latest release.
To focus the discussion a little better, I've built and installed
glib2.0-2.56.4.  My cygport file and patches are attached.  I can now build
gimp-2.10.18, and it seems to run fine in limited testing.

Ken

2.34.3-m4macros.patch (642 bytes) Download Attachment
2.36.3-not-win32.patch (12K) Download Attachment
2.36.3-visibility.patch (560 bytes) Download Attachment
2.36.4-gspawn-cygwin.patch (370 bytes) Download Attachment
2.36.4-gutf8-cygwin.patch (826 bytes) Download Attachment
2.38.2-gconvert-cygwin.patch (484 bytes) Download Attachment
2.42.1-goption-cygwin.patch (1K) Download Attachment
2.56.4-dont-print-null-strings.patch (1K) Download Attachment
2.56-gmodule-cygwin.patch (3K) Download Attachment
glib2.0.cygport (3K) Download Attachment