Updated: libungif-4.1.4-1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Updated: libungif-4.1.4-1

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution:

*** libungif-4.1.4-1
+++ libungif4-4.1.4-1 (NEW)

Libungif is a library for manipulating GIF files, without the
patent-encumbered LZW compression code.

This release is an update to upstream 4.1.4, which contains a fix for
two security issues (CVE-2005-2974, CVE-2005-3350).  All previous
releases have been removed from the release tree.

In addition, the shared libungif has been broken out into its own package.


Yaakov

- - --              *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

cygwin-announce-unsubscribe-you=[hidden email]

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

http://sources.redhat.com/lists.html#unsubscribe-simple

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Cygwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFDbWInpiWmPGlmQSMRAhDtAJ0SFF0UAfFkW2vgbQH0yzTFQMSNBQCg9rsg
XjMhaQvtz0Uy8CLmIWDwvjM=
=YPw9
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Updated: libungif-4.1.4-1

Luke Kendall
On  5 Nov, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
>  The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
>  
>  *** libungif-4.1.4-1
>  +++ libungif4-4.1.4-1 (NEW)
>  
>  Libungif is a library for manipulating GIF files, without the
>  patent-encumbered LZW compression code.

Are there still countries left, in which this patent has not yet
expired?

luke


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Updated: libungif-4.1.4-1

Brian Dessent
Luke Kendall wrote:

> Are there still countries left, in which this patent has not yet
> expired?

The unisys patent has expired in most major countries.  There is still
an IBM patent that is valid until sometime in 2006.  I think that most
people believe that IBM would never enforce this patent against a free
software project, but in theory they could.  From what I understand a
lot of image libraries have long since reinstated the LZW code in
shipping binaries but the FSF's official position is that it's still
"not free enough" until the IBM patent expires and until it is confirmed
that no other patents exist in countries where they have yet to search
the patent databases, as detailed at
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html>.  I think there has already
been discussion about this in the cygwin list, but I don't remember what
the resulting conclusion was in terms of what it means for cygwin
packages.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Updated: libungif-4.1.4-1

Charles Wilson-2
Brian Dessent wrote:
> Luke Kendall wrote:
>>Are there still countries left, in which this patent has not yet
>>expired?
>
> The unisys patent has expired in most major countries.  There is still
> an IBM patent that is valid until sometime in 2006.
[snip]
> I think there has already
> been discussion about this in the cygwin list, but I don't remember what
> the resulting conclusion was in terms of what it means for cygwin
> packages.

See here:
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-10/msg00611.html

--
Chuck

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/